Max Performance
95F / 35C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 24m 31s
Overall Rank = 512/541
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 7/10
Pre-race routine:

Since this was my only tri this year, I insisted on driving up myself. I enjoyed it a lot - the silence, my music on Pandora, the beautiful drive, the gratitude in my heart for being healthy enough to compete. I stopped to use the same rest stop as always on the way and forced down as much nutrition as I could (two English muffins with PB and some Gatorade) I arrived about an hour and a half early. This is where the serenity somewhat ended. I had to park pretty far away, but that was OK - hubby called, couldn't find my friend who he was picking up but that was quickly solved. They were pretty strict about making sure you had everything before entering the transition area. Safety first, I suppose!
Event warmup:

I really only had time to rack my bike, make new Athena friends, use the potty and run in and out of the transition in and outs. I did a quick warm-up swim where I practiced sighting (I am not terribly good at knowing where the hell I'm going when I'm swimming - I swear I swim twice the distance...I have even once been 'shepherded' by a kayak er in a race!) . I had a plan - for the swim, at least. I also had some real thoughts about the bike (kill it ;) ) and the run (2 minutes hard, 1 minute jog, first five minutes light, light jog...)
Swim
  • 30m 49s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

The first half was rough but oh, the second half. I really would have benefited from more practicing because when I hit that sweet spot, my strength training really kicked in. It was smooth. - pull, glide, navigate (repeat) I was passing people. It was glorious.
What would you do differently?:

Train more in general and also in open water. I trained a lot before my daughter went on school vacation a month ago but it has been hard since. Perhaps I need races earlier in the season.
Transition 1
  • 02m 59s
Comments:

I felt okay about this. I think I may have had more of a 70.3 attitude about making sure I was comfortable. I'm ok with that.

Perhaps not mess with my socks so much.
Bike
  • 1h 20m 10s
  • 22 miles
  • 16.43 mile/hr
Comments:

I think I did very well considering my low amount of time on the bike this year. What can I say? I'm an animal.

Train more. I would love to have more time to ride with friends.
Transition 2
  • 03m 50s
Comments:

Yipes. This time is pretty slow. I did take the time to slap on my "WINNER" slap bracelet. I tend to think I'm hilarious. Heh, I was really enjoying myself.

Maybe get a little more serious. Maybe.
Run
  • 1h 26m 44s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 13m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

OH GOD! THE HORROR! wHAT hAPpEND!! Yeah. Um, I walked a lot of this. The first aid station had NO water. Nope. None. I peed brown for two days. Just saying. I prayed, I chided myself, I calculated. Nope. My feet were. not. moving. I pushed on, I finished. Echhhh. Now I'm a bit phobic, actually. I better do a 10K again soon. Maybe the Bridge of Flowers race...yeah, the toughest 10K in New England...yeah ...I'm sure that would be GREEAT for my confidence (sarcasm. everywhere.)

Wear a Camel Pack? Not have GI probs the entire two weeks before? NOT run a race that was criticized for not having enough water last year and then repeated it this year? Hmmmm. I loved this race two years ago and I am sort of disenchanted right now. I'll probably do it again. I'm just that crazy.
Post race
Warm down:

I put my sad, blistered feet into a kiddy pool and did not move until my fans started to melt. Then I moved to the cool misty tent. Then I swam with my daughter. That part was amazing.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I was severely dehydrated. Period. Learning experience. Also, the running socks I wore were for winter, I believe. Yeah, not such a good choice...

Event comments:

More drink stations, please. Also, one group of volunteers just didn't have it in 'em to cheer...I guess it was 95 freaking degrees out. My poor husband seemed sun sick just from cheering. It is not the fault of the race that it was hot, however - more drink stations would ensure that the athletes would not die of heat stroke. Oh, and salt tabs - those would be lovely on the course.

Last updated: 2013-05-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:49 | 1640 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/10
Overall: 293/541
Performance: Good
The first half was rough - a lot of arm swinging, jostling, gasping and difficulty sighting. The buoys were pretty far apart. I am once again sort of grateful to not be an elite, as I followed the crowd much of the time - albeit the crowd that started before me thank goodness.
Suit: sleeveless wetsuit
Course: Rectangular loop. Beautiful, just beautiful.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:59
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:20:10 | 22 miles | 16.43 mile/hr
Overall: 468/541
Wind: Some
Course: Large loop with some hills - maybe 3 or so tough-ish ones.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:50
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:26:44 | 06.2 miles | 13m 56s  min/mile
Overall: 529/541
Performance: Bad
Course: Loop? I think...I was hallucinating most of the time...
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %10
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2013-07-19 9:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Massachusetts State Triathlon

2013-07-22 10:42 AM
in reply to: #4809341

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Subject: RE: Massachusetts State Triathlon
Great job Grace!!  Looked like a hot tough day but you pulled it out.  I was so thrilled to see your race report as I was wondering how you were doing.  Keep it up.
2013-08-03 1:49 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Massachusetts State Triathlon
You made my day replying to this! I am thinking about doing another Half next year....Thanks again for the comment!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Massachusetts State Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Massachusetts State Triathlon

Started by scott
Views: 2013 Posts: 2

2009-07-31 7:23 PM tri_again

Started by kjboneham
Views: 1192 Posts: 1

2009-07-27 5:11 PM kjboneham

Started by thirdsacharm
Views: 1739 Posts: 2

2009-07-30 2:46 PM cthoops

Started by SunnyS
Views: 1747 Posts: 3

2008-07-28 7:28 PM D.K.

Started by Toxdoc
Views: 1943 Posts: 3

2008-07-28 7:26 PM D.K.
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 29, 2012
author : sarals
comments : 0
Unforeseen challenges make for a compelling race.

date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.
date : November 29, 2011
author : trmat79
comments : 2
A story about the motivation to overcome everyday challenges

date : October 4, 2011
author : MikeyT1298
comments : 6
First time triathlete conquers swim struggle and finishes at the front of the pack
date : August 8, 2011
author : Gina60
comments : 16
I can't run a seven-minute mile anymore, but that doesn't take away from the joy of finishing

date : April 27, 2011
author : brumby11
comments : 5
An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon
date : September 16, 2010
author : LifterCatcher
comments : 3
As the fog cleared, the buoy that I first saw earlier in the morning was just the first marker in a very long line of buoys that stretched across the lake like a runway for a 747 jetliner.

date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!