General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks Triathlon - Mistletoe State Park Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tri the Parks Triathlon - Mistletoe State Park - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Appling, Georgia
United States
Blue Sky Sports
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 31m 35s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Novice Female
Age Group Rank = 3/10
Event warmup:

Walked down to the swim start.
Swim
  • 17m 15s
  • 600 meters
  • 02m 53s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was a good swim for me. I felt strong the entire way and was able to push myself harder on my way back in. Sighting was MUCH improved since my first tri. The only dilemma is that they combined both male and female novices at the start. The guys tore out of there, but then many got tired within the first 150 meters and started to backstroke. I looked up to sight at one point and there were four guys shoulder to shoulder in backstroke. It was tough to get past them they took up such a wide swath of space.

MUCH better swim than my last sprint distance triathlon. Much more confident in my abilities.
What would you do differently?:

Be more confident in my swim and push at the beginning rather than go out slow.
Transition 1
  • 02m 8s
Comments:

God I'm slow in transition. I try to get 'too' dry and really make sure I don't have sand anywhere on my feet. I've been wearing socks for the bike and run, but they were drenched after the bike. I think I'm going to start training without socks on shorter rides and not bother with them for sprint distances in the future.

Ditch the socks for the bike in the future for short course events.
Bike
  • 38m 11s
  • 11.8 miles
  • 18.33 mile/hr
Comments:

I rode the bike hard. Riders were really bunched up. Since I was in the last swim wave, I was navigating around a lot of slower riders in earlier groups. I passed a lot of people, had my heart rate up, but wanted to push the bike to see what I could do. I was pleased.

I was happy.
Transition 2
  • 01m 18s
Comments:

Again...I was lolly gagging in transition. I took one last swig of water from my bike, not realizing that they were handing out cups of water just as you left transition and got onto the run course.

I also realized my socks were DRENCHED from bike. I don't like wet feet.

Stop thinking this is a knitting circle, get your shit and get OUT of transition!
Run
  • 32m 41s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

The first 1.5 miles of the run were hilly...one hill I walked up and actually kept the same pace as those who were determined to run up it. The first part of the course was also on a trail which was marked with lots of tree roots. I've never run off road, so I was really careful with the footing. I find that it takes me a good 2 miles to finally feel decent on my legs after the bike. Mile 3 felt pretty good.

I saw two Novice women pass me between miles 1-2. It should have lit a fire in my belly, but as hilly as it was, I knew I would just get my heart rate too high and then I'd run out of gas. I just found my rhythm and kept chugging away at it.

The run will get there in time.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, drank some water, chatted with friends, got my bike and transition gear and shoved it in the car which was close by.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

For sprint races, I just need to work on my run speed. I feel good about my swim and bike.

Event comments:

Well organized, well staffed. Exceptional volunteers (kayak support on the swim, traffic volunteers for the bike, and aid station/turn volunteers for the run).

Last updated: 2013-06-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:15 | 600 meters | 02m 53s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/10
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri shorts/top
Course: Triangular swim (two sides of isosceles triangle)
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 87F / 31C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:08
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:38:11 | 11.8 miles | 18.33 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/10
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Uphill the first 1.5 miles out of transition, then a handful of short, but steep, climbs the next 5 miles. The remainder is rolling/flattish.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:18
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:32:41 | 03.1 miles | 10m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/10
Performance: Below average
Course: First mile was a hilly (one really steep section) trail run. Mile 2 was rolling hills then back onto a trail. Final mile was slightly downhill (thank goodness!) to the finish.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-07-20 5:17 PM

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Subject: Tri the Parks Triathlon - Mistletoe State Park
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks Triathlon - Mistletoe State Park Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tri the Parks Triathlon - Mistletoe State Park

Started by LukeBoswell
Views: 876 Posts: 1

2012-07-23 10:37 AM LukeBoswell

Started by AtlantaBill
Views: 1057 Posts: 1

2012-07-23 12:43 AM AtlantaBill

Started by TRI-ing soldier
Views: 1179 Posts: 1

2011-07-28 12:27 PM TRI-ing soldier

Started by ybedell
Views: 888 Posts: 1

2011-07-24 9:23 AM ybedell

Started by afrutoz
Views: 1586 Posts: 1

2008-07-06 5:23 AM afrutoz
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 29, 2012
author : sarals
comments : 0
Unforeseen challenges make for a compelling race.

date : February 22, 2011
author : shaunjamison
comments : 1
Ups and downs race report from the Lakes to Pines Sprint Triathlon by a master's aged newbie.
date : September 16, 2010
author : LifterCatcher
comments : 3
As the fog cleared, the buoy that I first saw earlier in the morning was just the first marker in a very long line of buoys that stretched across the lake like a runway for a 747 jetliner.

date : March 17, 2008
author : Yosel20
At first I thought, "Oh boy, what a mistake!" Let’s face it, I could barely run half a mile, I had not swum in forever, and my biking skills were not great, to say the least.
date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : November 27, 2005
author : spetremears
9 weeks after my first bike ride, 5 months after my first swim and 13 months after my surgery I entered the Nelson week Tri a Tri !
date : October 17, 2004
author : jhealy422
My sister warned me about being used as a launch ramp by faster swimmers but much to my surprise I was the one swimming over those in front of me. I went around one woman, then another.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
Are you only focusing on racing and training this season?  Volunteeri to help at a triathlon!