Korff Enterprises Sports Marketing & Event Management
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 38m 36s
Overall Rank = 692/
Age Group = M 25-29
Age Group Rank = 76/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4am, showered then ate a cliff bar with a chia seed shake (normal routine). Took a cab from union sq and reached transition area at 5:15 am. Setup transition, pumped air back into the tires and double checked water/gatorade etc. Transition closed at 5:45 and then it was a really a long wait after.
Event warmup:

No real warm up other than a few stretches near the swim start. Chatted with a bunch of people from my tri club and started moving into our corrals by about 7:50 am. My wave was one of the last ones and it was 8:15 when I finally got into the water. Definitely noticed that the current was much lower than earlier.
Swim
  • 19m 28s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 11s / 100 yards
Comments:

Surprisingly felt pretty calm about jumping into the Hudson. I was thinking back to a year ago when I volunteered at the swim start and not knowing one bit of swimming. Had definitely come a long way to this point and all the open water swim practice the month before the race really helped. Jump start, took a couple of seconds to figure out where I was and I started aiming to the right to catch as much of the current as possible. Breathing was every 2 strokes and I didn't really have to sight much as the boats were to my right and I breathe to my right (the sun was a non factor). About 5 mins into the swim and I felt like I was one of the slowest guys from my mini-wave. Checked my bearings and kept on going. And then slowly, I started passing a few people and found myself more to the center than to the right. The last 500m or so went by pretty quickly, I'd gotten into a good rhythm on the breathing and sighting and swam till the very end until someone helped me out (avoided the muck). Looked down to see 19:30 and I was pleasantly surprised as I was expecting something around 21-22 mins.
What would you do differently?:

Learn to breathe on both sides. Get more efficient on technique
Transition 1
  • 04m 13s
Comments:

Long run out of the swim into transition. Got to my bike, took off my wetsuit without any trouble, sat down to wear my socks and shoes. Put on helmet, race belt and glasses and ate a couple of gu chomps that I had kept handy. Took bike off the rack and ran out.
Bike
  • 1h 15m 58s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.81 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a pretty solid bike split for me. Started off with a slightly high heart rate and then settled in over the first 3-4 miles. Kept it going pretty steady and at about 8 miles in, I saw I was comfortably doing 20 mph or higher. Went through the first big hill and still felt reasonably good. I kept thinking to myself if I was going too hard on the bike but my heart rate was pretty stable around 170bpm and I felt good. One of the best parts of the bike was this other guy in my age group and we passed each other several times. He was faster on the climbs while I passed him on the flats and on the downhills. After the first couple of these, it became a nice distraction, got both of us to push really hard and the next 10 miles just flew by. Almost near the finish and I moved to an easy gear to spin my legs out. Was pretty happy with my time thus far.

Get better on the hills
Transition 2
  • 01m 31s
Comments:

Pretty smooth T2; went as planned
Run
  • 57m 29s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

This is where things got worse. The first mile was a climb and I took it pretty easy. Was feeling a little tight in the hips but that slowly went off. Got into central park and was looking for the first aid station where I knew my team was volunteering. That got me to about mile 1.5 at a pace just under 9 mins/mile. Then came the struggle. Mile 2 and three were OK with just a little bit of walking and I found a friend with whom I ran for about half a mile. Mile 4 was a struggle. Felt pretty hot and was focusing on getting in as much gatorade as possible to avoid the cramping in my quads. I definitely didnt want to be the person who went out too hard and was forced to limp through the finish barely able to run. 4 miles in and I knew that the focus for the next couple of miles was to keep it under 20 mins in order to get to 2:40 or better. The support in central park was just awesome and it was great to see so many people with cowbells, funny signs and words of encouragement. As I saw the 72nd street transverse I knew I had only about 0.3 miles left and I went for it. Managed to get that last bit of the run and finish just about a min under 2:40.

Train more, run more often
Post race
Warm down:

Finished the race and went straight into the medical tent nearby to get some water and ice. Sat down for a couple of mins, stretched and then went out to collect my race medal and food. Met up with friends and took a bunch of pics.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The heat

Last updated: 2013-01-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:28 | 1640 yards | 01m 11s / 100yards
Age Group: 137/
Overall: 1206/
Performance: Average
Suit: Full wetsuit
Course:
Start type: Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:13
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:15:58 | 24.85 miles | 19.81 mile/hr
Age Group: 558/
Overall: 62/
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Potholes  Cadence: 88
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:31
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:57:29 | 06.21 miles | 09m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 126/
Overall: 1473/
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-07-21 3:11 PM

User image

New York
Subject: New York City Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » New York City Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

New York City Triathlon

Started by afield
Views: 1957 Posts: 1

2007-07-22 4:25 PM afield

New York City Triathlon

Started by fenway
Views: 2084 Posts: 5

2006-07-19 11:59 AM rollinsw

New York City Triathlon

Started by cobannero
Views: 1128 Posts: 9

2006-07-20 8:40 PM ropkins

Ford New York City Triathlon

Started by Kauh
Views: 1818 Posts: 1

2005-12-07 9:36 AM Kauh

Ford New York City Triathlon

Started by oipolloi
Views: 2345 Posts: 4

2006-01-16 9:31 AM ropkins
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 31, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
For most people, there is a story in how they came to the sport as beginners. Some of the most inspiring of those beginner tales begin with health scares.

date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.
date : December 27, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 5
Are you a new swimmer starting your triathlon training? Here are some top answers to member questions as you begin your triathlon swim training.

date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.
date : July 31, 2006
author : Ontherun
This is NOT a diet book, but a weightloss book that has helped me change how I see food and the choices I make when I eat.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
My expectations for the quality of this years’ Triathlon world championship were fulfilled. This was because of the superb location that is like no other along with having the top triathletes present.
date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
There is a marvelous destiny out there waiting for you too, but only if you are willing to take chances and put yourself on the line.

date : August 31, 2004
GILFORD, New Hampshire (August 23, 2004) – After thunderous, heavy rains on Saturday challenged sprint triathletes to middle-distance-like efforts, Sunday’s middle-distance Timberman Triathlon (1.9 km