General Discussion Race Reports! » Moss Park Triathlon Festival - Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Moss Park Triathlon Festival - Olympic Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Orlando, Florida
United States
Epic Sports Marketing
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 10m 5s
Overall Rank = 3/134
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4.40 am and had my usual race breakfast (cereal, milk, Nesquick, and a toast). Load the car and leave for the race at around 5.30 am to get there 30 min after. Set up transition and talk with locals.

This was my first tri out of town. However, in order to do not disrupt my routine, I brought breakfast from home. Although I had some issues falling asleep. I was staying at a hotel near the Orlando Parks and there were a lot of kids running around making noise.
Event warmup:

Swim about 100-200 yards.

The swim location was scary, this was my first time swimming on a lake and the water was dark (very!). When I put my head in the water it was like coffee, everything turned black. I am glad I got to swim a little bit before the race, otherwise I would have freaked out!
Swim
  • 24m 34s
  • 1500 yards
  • 01m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

Probably, one of my best swims ever during a race (I guess the Master's Swim Class program is working pretty well).

I felt myself with the leading pack since the beginning (never happened before) and I was able to draft until the first buoy, when I got disoriented after the turn and I went a little bit off course. If it were not have been for this issue, I may have been able to hang out for a little longer with the leading group and save some energy drafting them.

When I realized I was swimming towards the front, I started second guessing my race strategy as I wasn't sure if I was going to strong on the swim and I will pay for it later. However, I decided to keep going strong and it wasn't until the last 100-150 yards when I started to feel tired (arms), so I guess I paced myself pretty well.
What would you do differently?:

Sighting. I had some issues sighting since there were different buoys for the different distances (Olympic and Sprint). After the first turn I found myself going for the Sprint buoy rather than the Olympic buoy (both were the same color) and that make me waste some time. Other than that, everything went pretty well.
Transition 1
  • 01m 51s
Comments:

There was a 0.2 mile beach run from the swim to transition. I handled it ok as well as the transition from swim to bike (helmet and gloves).

I did a fly mount and it was smooth, although it took me some time to start getting up to speed due to wanting to take a gel right at the beginning of the bike leg.

Not much. Even I was able to put the bike gloves in kind of fast (my eternal issue during T1)
Bike
  • 1h 03m 22s
  • 24 miles
  • 22.72 mile/hr
Comments:

Usually, I get my best results during the bike leg. However, for some reason this time I didn't perform as well as I usually do. During the first loop I hold back a little bit too much and during the second I was scared of gearing up and kill my legs for the run.

This was my first Oly. I wasn't sure how will my legs feel for a 10k run after 24 miles on the bike, so I took a conservative approach.

For this race I think I did the right thing by not overdoing the bike, but for future races I know I can go a little bit harder on the bike and I will still have plenty of energy left to perform during the run.
Transition 2
  • 00m 41s
Comments:

I had an issue doing a fly dismount. The mount/dismount line wasn't signaled (it was when the road ended and the grass started, but as I was coming at a reasonable speed I was looking for the usual sign) and when I realized it was a little bit late. Luckily both my feet were already out of my shoes, so I was able to do a fly dismount while smashing the breaks to not cross the mount/dismount line). I almost fell, but I managed to control the bike, so no big deal.

Everything else went pretty smooth.

Be more aware of the situation.
Run
  • 39m 9s
  • 5.3 miles
  • 07m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt very good on the run, I even think I could've run a little faster towards the end. However, I was holding back a little bit for the same reason I did on the bike. This was my first Oly and I wanted to finish with a smile, not bonking at some point during the race.

I need to do some more speed workouts (I really never did any) to increase my speed. My loans and legs felt good, but I just didn't have another gear.
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing. Just drinking water and eating (fruit and bagels with nutella, they didn't have protein!)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I held back on the bike a little bit and I am not a fast runner (need working on speed). Other than that, I think this was one of my best races overall.

Event comments:

Good race, very well organized with tons of volunteers and water stations. The post-race activities and food/drinks were a little bit under what I am used to, but this was also the smallest raced I competed on.

People were very friendly and excited about the sport. I would totally do this race again, although it is kind of far from home (+250 miles), so I will have to see if it plans out well next year.

Last updated: 2013-07-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:34 | 1500 yards | 01m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 5/134
Performance: Good
Suit: None
Course: Lake swim, 2 loop 3 buoy turn each loop. Swim from shore to the first buoy and turn left. Swim to the next buoy and turn left to start swimming again to the final buoy (turn left after the first loop and exit to shore after the second loop).
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:51
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:03:22 | 24 miles | 22.72 mile/hr
Overall: 6/134
Performance: Average
Mile / Avg. Speed / Avg. HR 1-5 20.3 mph 160 bpm 5-10 22.1 mph 155 bpm 10-15 21.4 mph 152 bpm 15-20 22.3 mph 150 bpm 20-End 203 mph 148 bpm
Wind: Little
Course: 2 loop fast flat course with some technical turns towards the middle as well as a couple of U-turns.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:41
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:39:09 | 05.3 miles | 07m 23s  min/mile
Overall: 3/134
Mile / Pace / Avg. HR 1 7:32 min/mile 162 bpm 2 7:28 min/mile 165 bpm 3 7:29 min/mile 167 bpm 4 7:50 min/mile 167 bpm 5 7:32 min/mile 170 bpm End 6:42 min/mile 173 bpm
Course: Flat shaded course. It was semi-paved /semi-trial, but mostly paved. There were a few muddy areas due to some rain from the previous days. Overall, great run course with lots of shade.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-07-21 8:59 PM

User image

Miami
Subject: Moss Park Triathlon Festival - Olympic Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Moss Park Triathlon Festival - Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Moss Park Triathlon Festival

Started by tcodol
Views: 1087 Posts: 1

2010-07-17 1:15 PM tcodol

6th Annual Moss Park Triathlon Festival

Started by yaya81
Views: 988 Posts: 1

2009-07-18 2:07 PM yaya81

Moss Park Tri Festival

Started by flmonkey_gbp
Views: 1525 Posts: 4

2008-07-24 12:29 PM flmonkey_gbp

Moss Park Tri Festival

Started by panout
Views: 884 Posts: 1

2007-08-19 8:09 PM panout

Moss Park Tri Festival

Started by jscandura
Views: 1095 Posts: 1

2007-08-19 3:36 PM jscandura
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 22, 2011
author : shaunjamison
comments : 1
Ups and downs race report from the Lakes to Pines Sprint Triathlon by a master's aged newbie.

date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : March 17, 2008
author : Yosel20
At first I thought, "Oh boy, what a mistake!" Let’s face it, I could barely run half a mile, I had not swum in forever, and my biking skills were not great, to say the least.
date : October 17, 2004
author : jhealy422
My sister warned me about being used as a launch ramp by faster swimmers but much to my surprise I was the one swimming over those in front of me. I went around one woman, then another.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
Are you only focusing on racing and training this season?  Volunteeri to help at a triathlon!
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
A couch to olympic triathlon training program. These programs will take you from a walk/run program, to a sprint, then to an olympic.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.