General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Questions about running theory; cadence vs stride length? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-22 10:56 AM

User image

Groton, New York
Subject: Questions about running theory; cadence vs stride length?
So from what I've read, it seems the most efficient cadence is approximately 180 steps/minute. This cadence also seems to decrease chances of injury by decreasing your stride length. At least this is my understanding of what I've read. I have been playing around with this and it certainly seems to reduce stress on my legs and I seem to maintain a spot-on 8-minute mile.

My question is this: How does one go faster? If the whole idea is to maintain 180 steps/minute than it seems the only way to go faster is increase your stride length. If one does this, doesn't it put even more stress on the legs and increase chance of injury?

I am just thinking out loud and hoping others might chime in with some input for me to think about.

2013-07-22 11:13 AM
in reply to: keqwow

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Subject: RE: Questions about running theory; cadence vs stride length?

Running fast increases the stress on the legs, regardless of the cadence or stride length.

You are correct, though -- speed is a resultant of stride length and cadence. The only way to speed up is to increase one (or both) of those factors. Increasing stride length is done via increasing the float of the stride.

2013-07-22 11:27 AM

In my opinion there is no magic number. Everyone is different, though almost all amateur runners I see would benefit from increasing their cadence.
If your increase your cadence and shorten your stride (which I read in some study can reduce the impact by 10-20%) your are not really adding much stress, but neither are you adding speed. So if you want to run faster you have to increase at least one of the two while the other one stays constant or only decreases slightly. Whichever one you change (and should change without risking injury etc.) depends on you and your body type. But change slowly, do not suddenly try do double your cadence just because you read about some magic number somewhere. Your body has probably already found a running style which fits you, but which can be improved by slowly pushing yourself beyond the limits of your current comfort zone. Lastly, to improve your running you should not solely focus on quicker leg turnover or lenghtening your stride. Those two and faster and more efficient running in general are also natural outcomes from other changes you make, such as posture, how much you lean forward, head, arms etc etc.....

Disclaimer: I am not a certified running coach, but I am talking from my own experiences and studies I have read
2013-07-22 12:37 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Originally posted by keqwow

So from what I've read, it seems the most efficient cadence is approximately 180 steps/minute.

This is not true; 180 steps/minute is an average that has been observed several times in different studies but one should bear in mind that it is an average.

This cadence also seems to decrease chances of injury by decreasing your stride length.

This depends on what is leading to a runner's injuries; if they are due to overstriding, there is a good chance that increasing cadence (and therefore decreasing stride length) will help solve this problem but it is still quite possible to get injured with a cadence of 90. Most running injuries (IME) are from trying to do too much too soon, not due to cadence (although that may be a contributing factor).

At least this is my understanding of what I've read. I have been playing around with this and it certainly seems to reduce stress on my legs and I seem to maintain a spot-on 8-minute mile.

My question is this: How does one go faster? If the whole idea is to maintain 180 steps/minute than it seems the only way to go faster is increase your stride length. If one does this, doesn't it put even more stress on the legs and increase chance of injury?

I am just thinking out loud and hoping others might chime in with some input for me to think about.

As you've said, speed is due to stride length and cadence; to go faster you increase one or the other (or both). Generally it will be a combination of increased stride length and cadence that leads to an athlete going faster although for some, cadence will stay within a fairly small range while stride length changes more dramatically.

Shane
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Questions about running theory; cadence vs stride length? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Short strides or long strides when running

Started by spiderjunior
Views: 2979 Posts: 12

2013-04-18 3:07 PM spiderjunior

My experiences with stride rate (running cadence) Pages: 1 2

Started by jonathan22
Views: 3077 Posts: 44

2008-05-08 6:28 PM Gerrard

Leg Length vs Biking Cadence?

Started by retiretotri
Views: 779 Posts: 1

2007-03-01 8:50 PM retiretotri

run cadence vs bike cadence Pages: 1 2

Started by cevans
Views: 4226 Posts: 32

2006-08-12 2:29 PM TH3_FRB

length of running stride question

Started by Macdaddy
Views: 900 Posts: 6

2005-01-18 9:52 PM DaveG
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 23, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Should I try to shorten my stride to prevent knee pain? Do you have suggestions for making the change stick? It's so hard to remember and be consistent!

date : February 16, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
Road cyclists tend to have a higher cadence than triathletes. Why is this? Is it bad?
date : November 12, 2009
author : Coach-Al
In this segment, Coach Al speaks on the topic of "where does running speed come from?" Also discussed are stride rate, stride length and changing your stride.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Incorporating strides to improving your cadence, be light on your feet and improve your run times.
date : January 16, 2008
comments : 4
This article outlines ways to increase your running cadence while also getting the benefits of reduced injury.

date : July 3, 2006
author : ChiRunning
Discussion on many aspects of ChiRunning such as falling forward, posture, hamstring tightness, stride length, leaning, stretching
date : November 27, 2005
author : mikericci
Focus on doing the drills and improving each week. Eventually you will go out for a run, look down, and see that your pace has improved, your heart rate is lower, and your cadence is over 90 rpm.

date : October 30, 2005
author : KenMierke
Smart athletes are taking a significant break from training to recharge for next year. What else can an athlete do during the next few months to improve next year’s performance?