General Discussion Race Reports! » New Jersey State Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

New Jersey State Triathlon - Olympic Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Hamilton Township, New Jersey
United States
CGI Racing
85F / 29C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 50m 15s
Overall Rank = 1/
Age Group = M35-39/Elite
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up pretty early after lousy night's sleep. Was up at about 3:45. I knew I had a long ride to the race and had to get my packet stuff squared away as well. So I didn't want to rush things and made sure I had plenty of time. I was out of the house by 4:30 and at the race site by 5:25... Perfect drive with no traffic.

Finally got situated with Stephen Del Monte and got my race packet squared away. Thanks to him for his help in getting that piece of business taken care of.

Finally met up with Matt, David and a few others and we prepped down by the finish line. Then headed up to the transition area and racked. Had a good spot in transition and there was plenty of space on the bike racks.
Event warmup:

We made our way down to the swim start and hopped in. The water was nasty as hell from the rain the night before and the water temp was in the upper 80s or low 90s. Ouch. I did some very easy swimming maybe 200-300 meters tops. Some backstroke kick and then some more easy swimming. I really felt great in the water. Pretty unusual for me. I usually don't feel very good in my swim warm ups. Out of the water, national anthem and back in the water and ready to roll...
Swim
  • 19m 39s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 19s / 100 meters
Comments:

They started us off and we all hit the gas for probably 100 meters and then settled into a very comfortable swim pace. The buoy markers were perfectly spaced over the first 500 meters. I think they might have been 25-50 meters apart. It was really nice to see them coming up so fast. I swam right on the buoy line and actually swam a little bit of the race on the left of the line. I made sure to round the buoy properly at each turn. I just could not push myself over to the right without getting smacked. So in an effort to avoid less contact I just stayed where I was. By 800 meters my swim cap came off. Thank god. The race leaders were starting to break away at about 1000 meters and I honestly was not about to give chase. The pace was a little harder than I was interested in considering the warm temps and the bike and run we still had coming up. Winning the swim does not win the race. In this case it might have lost the race for me if I tried to stay with those college swimmers.

In any event I was 5th or 6th out of the water.

Overall the swim was not bad. It was not one of my best but it was also not terrible.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Transition 1
  • 02m 7s
Comments:

We had a very long run with our bikes across a grass section to get to the main road. Shoes bouncing around like crazy I almost just picked up my bike and ran with it. Pretty uneventful otherwise.

Nothing
Bike
  • 49m 52s
  • 22.5 miles
  • 27.10 mile/hr
Comments:

I started out in about 5-6th place on the bike. By the time I was out of the park I was in 3rd place. 1 mile into the ride I was in 2nd and could see the lead police car up the road. I was closing fast on the flashing lights but it was taking longer than I expected to get the leader. As we approach one of the hard 90 degree right turns the race leader slowed down way before the turn and I stayed on the gas until about 5 feet from the corner. But the time I came through the turn I had enough speed that I literally blew right by him. I was averaging 326 watts through the first 6 miles at just under 28 MPH. Honestly, the pace felt easy but I knew that if I tried to hold that power for the entire ride the run might be a mess. The heat and humidity over the last week as been HELL hot. A close as it's been to Kona like conditions here since last year.

The rest of the ride was pretty uneventful. I kept the power consistent and made sure to keep my cadence nice and high on this ride. There was a little traffic on the 2nd loop but nothing that caused any major issues.

I came off the bike not feeling really that great. Legs were a little stiff but I was ready to get the run over with. I knew both Matt and David were in 2nd and 3rd which was great for our Tri team. Very solid efforts by both those guys.

Nothing
Transition 2
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

Nothing to tricky here. Took a little to get my garmin on but other than that I was off and out of there as fast as I could.

Nothing
Run
  • 37m 37s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 06m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

Coming out of transition I was just about to the lake section of the trail and I happened to look over my shoulder and David was there. I'm guessing about 50-60 seconds back. I was really shocked to see him that close. His 48 minute bike split rode him right up to the front. Crazy fast bike ride.

I was on a pretty good pace over the first 5K. I was through half way in about 17:50 and felt pretty good. David and Matt were running strong and at each of the turn arounds it looked like Matt was closing in on me. The rest of the field was starting to inch up a little as well.

The back half of the course smoked me. There were a few long false flats and it was starting to get really hot. I was having a tough time with my breathing and just praying for the run turn around. I knew the last half of the last 5K was all down hill for the most part. I remembered that from my win there in 2007 at the sprint.

As I went though the last aid station I made it almost to the tree line and took a look back over my shoulder. No one was there. At that point I started to feel better about things and backed off. In fact I stopped for about 10 seconds to stretch my hamstrings and legs. I wanted to make sure I was not going to implode the last mile.

Once I made it to within a 1/4 mile of the finish I had a huge sigh of relief that it was about to be over. Thankfully I made it to the finish in one piece. I can say for sure that it was a mental struggle with the heat and I had a few negative thoughts out there on the run. Sometimes you have to just keep on moving forward.

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

Stood in the mist tent for about 10 minutes. Was cooked. Beer, awards and home! ole!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing

Event comments:

CGI puts on a high quality event. Larry and Michele pay attention to details and it really shows. I've done this race in 2006, 2007 and now 2013. I can say that they have it down to a science. Even with the new bike route due to road work, the event still went off without any hitches. Highly recommend this event!

Last updated: 2013-06-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:39 | 1500 meters | 01m 19s / 100meters
Age Group: 6/
Overall: 6/
Performance: Good
Suit: X-Terra Speed Suit
Course: Near straight swim with two left turns and then a straight shot back to the boat ramp
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 89F / 32C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:07
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:49:52 | 22.5 miles | 27.10 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 2/
Ride Time (Time Moving) 0:50:00 Distance, mi 22.49 Work, kJ 896 Temperature, °F 75.99 Average Power, Watts 298 Normalized Power, Watts 313 Average Cadence 97 Average Speed, mph 26.97 Average Heart Rate -- Weight, lbs 179.9 VAM 184
Wind: Little
Course: Two loops on local roads.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 97
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:59
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:37:37 | 06.2 miles | 06m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/
Overall: 9/
Course: Two loops. One north of the transition area and one south of it. Slight rollers and a few false flats
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-07-22 2:11 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: New Jersey State Triathlon - Olympic Course

2013-07-22 4:15 PM
in reply to: #4810971

User image

New user
Westmont
Subject: RE: New Jersey State Triathlon - Olympic Course
Another example of your solid work paying off in a stellar performance! Congrats Mike!
2013-07-23 8:23 AM

User image

Master
SMIBville
Great race! Congrats on the win!
2013-07-23 8:29 AM

User image

Great race report and awesome performance. Don't be offended, but it is nice to hear you super-fast guys have negative thoughts just like us average folks.

BTW, do you have a bike? (Referring to your current profile pic.)

Patti
2013-07-23 10:48 AM

User image

BOOM! Great race Mike!
2013-07-23 1:01 PM
in reply to: pugpenny

User image

Expert

Originally posted by pugpenny Great race report and awesome performance. Don't be offended, but it is nice to hear you super-fast guys have negative thoughts just like us average folks. BTW, do you have a bike? (Referring to your current profile pic.) Patti

Thank for your comments.  

Yes, have the bike in the picture there.  Harley Crossbones.  I'm guessing you have a bike as well?  

2013-07-23 3:22 PM

User image

Great job on the win.  That bike split just blows my mind.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » New Jersey State Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

New Jersey State Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by runnerg1rl7
Views: 1341 Posts: 4

2013-07-23 10:16 AM ChiLakeShore

Started by cruzanvi
Views: 1321 Posts: 1

2013-07-22 9:28 AM cruzanvi

Started by mnbrickx
Views: 1036 Posts: 1

2013-07-22 7:59 AM mnbrickx

Started by stevepiv
Views: 1022 Posts: 1

2013-07-21 1:57 PM stevepiv

New Jersey State Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by Hesketh
Views: 954 Posts: 1

2012-09-17 10:15 AM Hesketh
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 29, 2012
author : sarals
comments : 0
Unforeseen challenges make for a compelling race.

date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.
date : September 16, 2010
author : LifterCatcher
comments : 3
As the fog cleared, the buoy that I first saw earlier in the morning was just the first marker in a very long line of buoys that stretched across the lake like a runway for a 747 jetliner.

date : December 11, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
I just finished the NYC marathon on Sunday and I think I'm going to venture into triathlons. I am doing an Olympic distance and I want to do a 70.3 next year too. Any advice?
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.