General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 12 month out from IM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-22 3:48 PM

New user
Boulder, CO
Subject: 12 month out from IM
I'm 12 months out from my first IM. All of the training plans I've seen start around 6 months out. Should I just put in volume without much worry about for the next 6 months or look at HIM and winter maintenance training plans?

2013-07-22 3:59 PM
in reply to: Lurch

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: 12 month out from IM
Why don't you pick some interim goals that will help you progress towards the IM? Train for those goals now. It could be a specific race (e.g., goal to PR a half marathon) or something more training-related (goal to improve threshold power or pace in one or more of the individual events). 12 months is a long time to 'just' train for any one race.
2013-07-22 4:12 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
personally I'd enjoy yourself, and maintain a level of fitness that's comfortable and fun.

perhaps start building a bike foundation early, probably that's on your trainer being winter.

then start up on a 20+ week plan.

this way you won't feel tired going into the IM training.
2013-07-23 8:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by Lurch I'm 12 months out from my first IM. All of the training plans I've seen start around 6 months out. Should I just put in volume without much worry about for the next 6 months or look at HIM and winter maintenance training plans?

- Maintain your fitness.  No need to go "all in" on training for the time being.

- Focus on short term goals or races.

- You shouldn't even be thinking about or worrying about a race 12 months away.  You'll have plenty of time to fixate on the IM 4-5 months out.

- Do a 16-20 week training plan.  Anything more than that is unnecessary assuming a base level of fitness.

- Don't forget to have fun and soak it all in.

2013-07-23 8:47 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

New user
Boulder, CO
Originally posted by GMAN 19030

Originally posted by Lurch I'm 12 months out from my first IM. All of the training plans I've seen start around 6 months out. Should I just put in volume without much worry about for the next 6 months or look at HIM and winter maintenance training plans?

- Maintain your fitness.  No need to go "all in" on training for the time being.

- You shouldn't even be thinking about or worrying about a race 12 months away.  You'll have plenty of time to fixate on the IM 4-5 months out.

- Do a 16-20 week training plan.  Anything more than that is unnecessary assuming a base level of fitness.

The base level of fitness is what I am wondering about. At the start of training 16 - 20 weeks out should my base be good enough to do an Olympic or HIM that day?
2013-07-23 8:50 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Originally posted by Lurch

Originally posted by GMAN 19030

The base level of fitness is what I am wondering about. At the start of training 16 - 20 weeks out should my base be good enough to do an Olympic or HIM that day?

A HIM.

Though I disagree with the other posters who said "maintain your fitness". Build it. Do some hard work. Just don't bury yourself with 20 hour training weeks.

2013-07-28 8:34 PM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
I agree.

You have a full year, why not take advantage of that time and build up to have a strong and comfortable (as much as an IM can be comfortable) race. 6 months seems pretty short to train for an IM unless you plan on doing some cramming.
2013-07-28 8:55 PM
in reply to: tzcoaching

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
I used the Iron Fit plan, which was 30 weeks. Throw in some redundant weeks for time purposes, and I started training on Jan. 1 of this year, and will stop in three weeks, so that is effectively a 9 month training plan. You could start that pretty soon.
2013-07-29 10:55 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Highlands Ranch, Colorado, USA
Lurch, are you talking about IM Boulder? You're from Boulder so I had to ask. I am signed up for that inaugural race in 2014 and that's about a year out at this time.I've been away from Ironman and Triathlon racing for two years (dealing with family health issues, care for a family member, etc) and I am looking to get back to that part of my life that's been missing for some time. I've gained some extra weight (about 40 pounds) so my goal is to keep working out for the rest of the year to drop my weight before I start up laser focusing on race season in 2014 -- around the start of 2014. I am a big Clydesdale anyway (I usually race at about 235-240 pounds, or did prior to my Tri-sabbatical) so getting down in weight for me is essential. Being 12 months out I would just get out there and have some fun with your workouts. There will be plenty of time for intense training plans, be it 20 week, 24 week or 30 week training plans, as you get closer to the event. The mileage you put in now will certainly benefit you come serious IM training time but have fun working out with an eye on what's to come in July/August 2014...whatever your race may be.When the Boulder 70.3 reg opens up I'll sign up for that race in June 2014 as a good training race as I build toward the Boulder IM in August. Until then I just want to drop my weight and have some fun being active knowing that the intensity of training for that race will be here sooner than I anticipate!

Edited by IMJeffrey 2013-07-29 10:59 AM
2013-07-30 4:20 PM

New user
, Massachusetts
I think that depends. I did my first Ironman a year ago and like you, I'm a year out from IM Boulder. For me:

First 3 months - general conditioning. Goals:

* Drop all the weight I intend to lose and get to my target Ironman weight (Need to loose 12 lbs. It's easier to do it when there's not much else going on. There's too much else to do in the "on" season).

• * Work on flexibility - I had injuries throughout my last season and it was all due to lack of flexiblity. I'm going have that solved before the hard training begins

* Build a modest run base (up to 15 miles per week but no longer than 3 miles in a day). For me, I need to slowly ramp up the milage to avoid injury.

* Sort out all my gear changes. I want his out of the way so when it's time to train that's all I need to focus on. New tri bike this year :-)

* Train without a rigid schedule and do what I feel like that particular day. For me, the mental focus of the "in" season was tough as well as dealing with a very rigid schedule. Don't want no part of that right now. When I feel like taking a day off, I do. If I feel like mountain biking or just doing the nordic track thingy I do. What ever sounds fun that day.

The outseason has different goals but I'll leave that for another post...
    2013-07-30 7:52 PM
    in reply to: IMJeffrey

New user
    Boulder, CO
    Originally posted by IMJeffrey

Lurch, are you talking about IM Boulder? You're from Boulder so I had to ask. I am signed up for that inaugural race in 2014 and that's about a year out at this time.I've been away from Ironman and Triathlon racing for two years (dealing with family health issues, care for a family member, etc) and I am looking to get back to that part of my life that's been missing for some time. I've gained some extra weight (about 40 pounds) so my goal is to keep working out for the rest of the year to drop my weight before I start up laser focusing on race season in 2014 -- around the start of 2014. I am a big Clydesdale anyway (I usually race at about 235-240 pounds, or did prior to my Tri-sabbatical) so getting down in weight for me is essential. Being 12 months out I would just get out there and have some fun with your workouts. There will be plenty of time for intense training plans, be it 20 week, 24 week or 30 week training plans, as you get closer to the event. The mileage you put in now will certainly benefit you come serious IM training time but have fun working out with an eye on what's to come in July/August 2014...whatever your race may be.When the Boulder 70.3 reg opens up I'll sign up for that race in June 2014 as a good training race as I build toward the Boulder IM in August. Until then I just want to drop my weight and have some fun being active knowing that the intensity of training for that race will be here sooner than I anticipate!

Yes, IM Boulder 2014.

2013-07-31 8:17 AM
    in reply to: guy2600

User image

Champion
    Evergreen, Colorado

Originally posted by guy2600 I think that depends. I did my first Ironman a year ago and like you, I'm a year out from IM Boulder. For me: First 3 months - general conditioning. Goals: * Drop all the weight I intend to lose and get to my target Ironman weight (Need to loose 12 lbs. It's easier to do it when there's not much else going on. There's too much else to do in the "on" season). . * Work on flexibility - I had injuries throughout my last season and it was all due to lack of flexiblity. I'm going have that solved before the hard training begins * Build a modest run base (up to 15 miles per week but no longer than 3 miles in a day). For me, I need to slowly ramp up the milage to avoid injury. * Sort out all my gear changes. I want his out of the way so when it's time to train that's all I need to focus on. New tri bike this year :-) * Train without a rigid schedule and do what I feel like that particular day. For me, the mental focus of the "in" season was tough as well as dealing with a very rigid schedule. Don't want no part of that right now. When I feel like taking a day off, I do. If I feel like mountain biking or just doing the nordic track thingy I do. What ever sounds fun that day. The outseason has different goals but I'll leave that for another post...

^^Good goals.  Definitely want to drop to race weight early...once IM training really kicks off you shouldn't be trying to lose weight...it will just make your training suffer.

I'm with everyone else in general...do *something* structured now and for the next year...work on building the base to HIM level then the last 20 weeks do the build to IM....

New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 12 month out from IM Rss Feed  
    RELATED POSTS

12 month training program for IM?

Started by KarlB
    Views: 2749 Posts: 9

2011-05-18 8:36 AM moriatesg

12 Month Ironman Training Program/ IM Train Prgrm Questions

Started by Dream Chaser
    Views: 14170 Posts: 24

2009-07-17 12:01 PM magic

HIM 12 months after I start training? F

Started by sdanaher
    Views: 1115 Posts: 12

2009-03-25 9:26 PM bwiens

12 weeks 'til IM WI

Started by Birkierunner
    Views: 1059 Posts: 8

2007-06-18 8:57 AM running2far

Marathon 12 weeks B4 IM?

Started by T in Liberty Lake
    Views: 739 Posts: 2

2005-10-17 3:00 PM Rocket Man
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : November 23, 2010
    comments : 0
    I want to follow the Winter Maintenance-Run Focus program (8 weeks), but don't know when to start. I also want to do the Intermediate Sprint-12 week program before my first race.

date : November 5, 2008
    author : FitWerx
    Is gear overlap from the big to small ring a consideration? Will the ratio increment of the compact setup be very beneficial to my riding?
    date : October 30, 2005
    author : mscotthall
    comments : 5
    I have compiled a list of the eleven most important things, in my opinion, that I have learned in my first three months as a triathlete and a BT member. Hopefully you find this useful.

date : October 24, 2005
    author : mikericci
    The schedule consists of 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work too. The maximum volume is around 7 hours toward the end of the 12 weeks.
    date : June 14, 2005
    author : smeeko
    Training plan featuring specific interval-type and track workouts to increase your 10K speed over the course of 2 months.

date : February 28, 2005
    author : sherrick
    A 12 week, 1 race plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.
    date : November 28, 2004
    author : sekhmet
    comments : 1
    I challenge all BT readers who want to shed the pounds to stay committed to their training during the colder months. Share this commitment with others.

date : September 4, 2004
    author : surfking
    Triathlons - Not an Ordinary Workout