Other Resources My Cup of Joe » destination wedding in Jamaica Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-22 7:08 PM

Regular
Subject: destination wedding in Jamaica
Daughter wants a destination wedding and she is looking at Jamaica. Any one here have experiences that they would like to share or suggestions of other ocations that are not too expensive to get to from the east coast?

2013-07-22 10:33 PM
in reply to: riltri

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: destination wedding in Jamaica

I was there last October and it was cheaper to fly to Montego Bay than it was to fly nonstop to Chicago.

If you're looking at all-inclusive resorts on a budget check out the middle tier ones like a step below the Sandals and what not (Trip Advisor is great for researching). Less expensive and less crowded but still amazing food, drinks and experience. 

2013-07-22 10:41 PM

My wife and I got married in St Lucia in 2009 and absolutely loved it! We stayed at the Sandals Grande St Lucian. The beaches were gorgeous there! We also did a zip line adventure through a rain forest, a boat cruise around the island, kayaked in the ocean...the list goes on. If you decide to go, I would recommend the helicopter ride from the airport to near the resort. It is much faster than the bus ride and is really cool. Feel free to pm me if you need any more info.

All this talk makes me want to go back
2013-07-22 10:50 PM
in reply to: deadpool7

User image

Elite

I honeymooned in Negril. It is much more laid back than the resort towns. Really nice. But I understand all inclusives. We went in August which is off season and the locals are hurting for money due to some others things... lots people hustling you.

Just one word of caution... do not walk on the beach in the rain... I came back eaten up by sand fleas and some hook worm... if a mosquito bite itch is a one... that was a ten. Wow, what an ordeal that was. It's never good when a doctor calls in colleagues because he has only seen what you have in books. Tongue out

2013-07-23 5:48 AM
in reply to: powerman

User image

Extreme Veteran
Vine Grove, KY
My wife and I got married in Jamaica in 2008 and it was great. We went with a resort in Negril and really liked it because it was pretty laid back, all the people were really nice, and it was stress free. We didn't really leave the resort much as we had all we needed there and went snorkeling several times from the resort.

It was about a 90 min bus ride from Montego Bay to the resort, but I've also stayed in Montego Bay and the south (Negril) side of the island is much nicer IMO in terms of the beach and the water.
2013-07-23 7:58 AM
in reply to: TriathletePT

Master
Memphis, TN
GET THE TRIP INSURANCE. Seriously, a friend of mine was in Cancun and he fainted in the lobby and hit his head fracturing it in two places and breaking something in his ear. The resort freaked out and wouldn't call an ambulance so his wife had to call a cab to get him to the hospital and max out every credit card they had so the doctor would perform surgery on his brain to relieve the pressure. Had to stay there about 5-6 days before being cleared to fly home. Not trying to scare anyone but Mexico doesn't take you Cigna insurance.

2013-07-23 8:42 AM
in reply to: TriathletePT

User image

Elite

Originally posted by TriathletePT My wife and I got married in Jamaica in 2008 and it was great. We went with a resort in Negril and really liked it because it was pretty laid back, all the people were really nice, and it was stress free. We didn't really leave the resort much as we had all we needed there and went snorkeling several times from the resort. It was about a 90 min bus ride from Montego Bay to the resort, but I've also stayed in Montego Bay and the south (Negril) side of the island is much nicer IMO in terms of the beach and the water.

What did you think of the bus ride? Laughing

My cabbie was doing about 70 down the highway... well what seemed like an alley way to me... I finally just had to close my eyes and go with it. We had some lady in back going balistic. She wanted to get out, and I wanted to let her. It was a real hoot.

2013-07-23 10:03 AM

My hubby and I still talk about the bus ride on our honeymoon in Jamaica. Beep! Beep! Then pass on a hill as fast as possible! What a ride!
2013-07-23 10:53 AM

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY
My wife and I got married at a resort north of Playa del Carmen in Mexico. It was a great area for us because we had some younger people who were able to head north into Cancun, older folks who just wanted to lounge on the beach while a steady stream of margaritas flowed their way, and we were able to take yet another group to look at Mayan ruins, ziplining, etc.

It also worked out well because there were enough resort options in the area that some family members who we never dreamed would attend for money reasons were able to join us by staying at our resort for two nights and a different one for the rest of the week.

A word of warning from our experience - your daughter has to be okay with putting the plans in place and then letting them happen (for the most part). We took a special trip down to put all of our plans in place (menu tasting, flowers, set up, etc), but everything came out from slightly to wildly different than what we had agreed upon (ironically, I was more up in arms about it than my wife, who used to do event planning). Even so, it was a truly magical evening and our family still talks about our wedding years later, which is pretty cool since we were sure no one would come once we made the decision to do it outside of the US.

I think my only other piece of advice is to have her visit several resorts, if at all possible, before making a decision (the best is if she can try the food by having lunch or something during her visit too. Most wedding/event coordinators are usually very happy to oblige you). We had our heart set on a particular resort during our research/arrangement trip because of the glowing reviews we read online but we ended up HATING it. Just by dumb luck, I had read about a resort opening and browbeat/guilted my wife into visiting it with me before we made a final decision. After seeing it and discussing all of our available options, we ended up going back there to put in a deposit and make the arrangements. (I won't lie, being able to have the ceremony, dinner, and celebration afterwards all on the beach was a huge selling point for me.)

A word of warning for you too - having a destination wedding will draw lots of flak from family and friends not only on the couple but their parents. Just be prepared for repeatedly hearing the questions, "Why are they getting married down there? Is it even safe?"
2013-07-23 11:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Vine Grove, KY
I didnt think the ride was bad. Offensive driving is key around there. The big vehicles have the right of way basically. We were in a smallish 7-8 passenger bus type vehicle. I never felt unsafe on the ride, but I did feel a bit scammed at one point as they stopped at this small store to let people go to the bathroom and buy drinks or whatever. Just thought it was totally unecessary as we were all ready to get there. Never felt that way at the resort though. We stayed at Couples Swept Away and its not super high class or anything, but it was right up our alley with the amenities that it offered. Lot's of exercise equipment, free snorkeling, nice beach.
2013-07-23 2:11 PM

Regular
Thanks for the replies!!! Now she is planning on St Johns. Lordie....can't wait for the wedding so I can give her away

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » destination wedding in Jamaica Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Crazy Limitations on Vacation Destinations Pages: 1 2

Started by SoccerGK
Views: 1794 Posts: 26

2011-10-27 7:41 PM thebigb

Destination wedding-Hawaii

Started by maggyruth
Views: 846 Posts: 11

2009-07-07 9:52 PM markz

Favorite Skiing Destination