General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Midfoot stike and sore calves Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-22 9:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Tucson
Subject: Midfoot stike and sore calves
I have been working on my running form for several months as I am very injury prone. I am working with a guy who is a triathlon coach and does form analysis for all 3 sports. So I am landing more midfoot now instead of heel striking and my calves just don't want to get with the program. After taking two weeks off for a knee issue, I started back running yesterday. My plan is to run 1 mile a day for six days this week. Well today is day 2 and my calves freaking hurt! This is supposed to be easy mileage. I did calf strength training during my time off to help keep them strong but it didn't help. Anyone else have this much trouble when changing their running form?

2013-07-22 9:13 PM
in reply to: desertchica

User image

Veteran
Queen Creek, AZ
Subject: RE: Midfoot stike and sore calves
I had the same problem. I "re"started myself in running with new shoes (Newtons) and would only run 1 mile a day or 1 mile out of whatever run I had planned with the Newtons and that form. I S L O W L Y ramped my mileage up with the form and the shoes. It took me about 2 months of getting used to it.

Did you change shoes as well?

I don't know how old you are, but with age, the Achilles tightens up and the calves follow. I foam roll the $h)t out of my calves every night, whether I think they need them or not. I also do concentric (I think that's the right word) calf stretches where I drop my heel for at least 3 minutes to get a good healthy stretch. I do that as much as I can when I can.

Keep working at it. Ice works too. You could try compression sleeves or socks. I've had some luck with those as well.

I think the foam rolling and stretching has helped me the most. I'm pretty conscious of it and throughout the day I will stretch my calves.
2013-07-22 9:14 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
you might be exaggerating the strike, which can strain the calves.

try relaxing and not worry so much about being so forward on the strike, it will be a lot better.

Initially I had this problem too.
2013-07-22 9:44 PM

User image

yeah, learning to stop heel striking was pretty much the same as running up a hill as far as my calves were concerned.
2013-07-22 10:01 PM
in reply to: 0

New user
Boulder, CO
Originally posted by metafizx

you might be exaggerating the strike, which can strain the calves.

try relaxing and not worry so much about being so forward on the strike, it will be a lot better.

Initially I had this problem too.

This, when I first switched over I was "pointing" to make sure that the ball of my foot was hitting first. Running like that caused me to hurt my feet and calves and take some time off from running.
When mid foot striking correctly you land almost flat footed with your foot directly under neath you. I started over concentrating on landing with my foot already moving backward and directly underneath me. Then it everything clicked and I no longer had foot and calve pain. I also got rid of the Newton and switched to Hokas. They encourage mid foot running with out putting a fulcrum under your foot.

Edited by Lurch 2013-07-22 10:05 PM
2013-07-22 10:17 PM
in reply to: Lurch

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Originally posted by Lurch

I also got rid of the Newton and switched to Hokas. They encourage mid foot running with out putting a fulcrum under your foot.

haha..exactly what I did!

2013-07-23 6:50 AM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

Lurch has great advice. In trying to correct my heal strike, I came too far forward and had crazy calf pain that seemed to last forever.

If you keep your knees bent and lean forward a little, your legs will stay underneath you. You almost want to feel like you are falling forward and your legs are just helping you catch up. The initial impact should be on mid-foot, but your while foot can come all the way down, too. There are some great books on 'natural running' that also offer drills to help strengthen this form. It helps to think of your overall form instead of just what your feet are doing. I changed my running form last year and my knees and back are so glad I did!

2013-07-23 7:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Tucson
Thanks for all the replies! I just got up this morning and hobbled down the stairs. Last night I foam rolled, iced, and slathered my calves with arnica gel. Lol . I think it is entirely possible that I am over doing it. I am more focused on my form than my feet but I tend to get lazy and resort back to heel striking if I am not careful. I will try the advice here when I head out for 1 mile run again this morning. This has to click eventually! Thanks, all.
2013-07-23 7:47 AM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

I also got rid of the Newton and switched to Hokas. They encourage mid foot running with out putting a fulcrum under your foot.

Do you guys really like the Hokas??? I am so tempted by them...

Patti
2013-07-23 1:46 PM
in reply to: pugpenny

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Originally posted by pugpenny

Patti

yes. they are working for me. although I run in other shoes as well. I use HOKAs primarily to alleviate a foot problem, and reduce the stress on long runs.
2013-07-23 4:24 PM

New user
Boulder, CO
Originally posted by pugpenny

Patti

I've been doing all of my runs in them for ~3 weeks now and love them so far.

2013-07-24 10:53 AM
in reply to: #4811350

Veteran
Niagara Region
Get the book, chi running by Danny Dreyer. In the book he explains in detail how to mid foot run (boring but good). I started chi running 18 months ago, at first I found it was good but I still had a little pain In the ankle area, re-read the book and followed his advice to the tee. And now I have NO Running pain or injuries. Longest run to date using this technique is 30km. My stats are 6ft 225 so I am not a featherweight but I learned one thing IF IT HURTS STOP AND ANALYZE. In the book he gives you a mental check list and evrytime im getting tired i focus intently on form to keep running pain and injury free. The calf pain is you are landing forward on your foot. As suggested above focus on landing under you. BUT this advise is very tough to put into practice without the big picture, so get the book, metronome and enjoy.

My favorite shoe for the midfoot strike is;

Training pearl Izumi emotion. I use these to traing an race the HM distance

For racing 10km and under I run in newton motions (these shoes are fast :-))

But if you have pain take a test spin in the emotions.

Cheers and good luck

Last year I ran a 30 5km, using chi running I ran a PB in training of 24:07.
2013-07-24 12:06 PM

it took about a month for me to adjust to my hokas, but i love them now especially for my hilly and long distance runs. training for immt and the shoes has been a blessing. i still get tired legs, but not the major soreness after a long distance run. on game/event day i switch to skechers go run rides. btw, i like to add that i almost PR my 10k record during my olympic triathlon on sunday.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Midfoot stike and sore calves Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Right calf is tight and sore

Started by trishie
Views: 4487 Posts: 13

2012-02-16 6:46 PM bencoy

Sore/Tight Calves - Any ideas?

Started by ibndalight
Views: 4398 Posts: 18

2011-04-18 11:03 AM gojogo

2.5 Hour Bike or rest my sore Achilles/calf

Started by joekennedy7
Views: 1117 Posts: 8

2010-08-02 11:00 AM QueenZipp

sore calves after 2 week layoff from running

Started by jcdenton2000
Views: 1448 Posts: 4

2009-04-13 8:03 PM jcdenton2000

Poor pedaling = sore calves?

Started by tri_bob
Views: 1357 Posts: 6

2008-05-27 1:38 PM brian
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 2, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Deep calf pain can be a tricky problem to deal with, and it’s appropriate that you are paying attention to this pain before it becomes a more debilitating injury.

date : August 5, 2010
comments : 4
Calf pain can have multiple causes. In your case, the most likely cause seems to be from a calf muscle strain. If you have had Achilles problems you can be predisposed to a calf injury.
date : January 5, 2009
I have a pain deep in my calf about five inches below the knee. A sports doctor did not feel anything wrong in the muscle, and there was no bruising. The tender spot can still be felt on massage.

date : June 21, 2006
author : Team BT
Standing Calf Raises strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
date : January 29, 2006
Apparently I have tendonitis in my left shoulder and will start PT next week. Are there drills/ strokes that I can do that won't keep my shoulder from healing?

date : January 1, 2006
I have a marathon scheduled for Dec. 4th but I woke up this morning and the tendon on the back of my leg (behind the Knee) is really sore.
date : October 2, 2005
author : acbadger
I recognize that my 45 minute jog Wednesday night does not really count as a ”long” run, but for me it was! Yesterday I felt fine…but man, today the legs are SORE.

date : July 17, 2005
Yesterday I was a little sore, and today, whenever I bend over to pick something up, standing up again hurts badly. Have I done some sort of permanent damage? What can I do to rehab this area?