United States
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 26m 18s
Overall Rank = 8/19
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I kind of signed up for this race on a whim, thinking that with all my Ironman training, it would be a walk in the park. Did I ever get that wrong.
I didn't really have a pre-race routine. Had the whole Ibis (local coffee shop) crew there either on land or in boats cheering me along.
Left Logan at 6am and arrived at the Marina at Bear Lake around 7AM. Got checked in and just hung out with the crew.
At about 8:30 all the swimmers caravaned to the East side of Bear Lake, where we would begin our 7 mile adventure back to the Marina.
Event warmup:

None
Swim
  • 3h 26m 18s
  • 13320 yards
  • 01m 33s / 100 yards
Comments:

Each swimmer had to have a paddler. I gave Jan, my paddler, a few gu's, a couple of water bottles, and we were off with the rest of the group, just after 9am.
Felt great for the first couple of miles. I didn't have a watch and had no idea of how long I had been out there.
I was able to stay even with Ana (collegiate swimmer), for the 3/4 of the race.

Unfortunately, however, I took my last gu and gulp of water at what I thought was about mile 6. As it turned out, it was about mile 4.
So from about mile 5 to 7 was a sufferfest. I had decided to use a wetsuit, just because the distance was new to me, but between the electrolyte imbalance, the heat from the suit, and the additional toll it took on my shoulder rotation, I wish I would have gone without the suit.
The last mile and a half, I could hardly get my elbow up out of the water, only to have it slap back down to the surface and make a frivolous attempt at a pull. I was waisted.
This part lasted the longest. Each time I looked up to sight the marina.... It wasn't any closer from the last time I looked. Very frustrating.
The last 20 minutes was all mental and fumes. There was no juice.
When I finally rolled up on to shore, depleted I fell into the sand. I wanted to be dead. I actually felt worse after then both my Ironman races put together.
I took my suit off and went back into the lake to cool off and that's when I started charlie-horsing all over the place..... in places I didn't even know it was possible.
There were episodes where my biceps, forearms and wrists were all contorted. I cramped in my chest, abs, obliques, quads, hamstrings and even my ankles.
I don't really cramp so this was all new and terribly scary. I pounded some gatorade and sucked down some salt tabs. I was just clearly depleted.
After about an hour or more I was finally able to get in the car and join the crew at Cafe Sabor, where I loaded everything with 3X salt.
It was definately a learning experience.

What would you do differently?:

My message to my future self as I read back on this next year, is take the day much more serious.
Treat the week leading up, the night before, the morning of, and the actual race.... like I do the Ironman.
Post race
Warm down:

No chance for that

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My own underestimation of the demand of a race like this when I just haven't put in this kind of training.

Event comments:

I love the race...... I will be back.

Last updated: 2013-07-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
03:26:18 | 13320 yards | 01m 33s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 8/19
Performance: Below average
Suit: Hurricane 5
Course: Point to Point, from Cisco Beach to the Marina (East to West)
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-07-22 11:06 PM

User image

Regular
Logan, Utah
Subject: Bear Lake Monster 7 Mile Swim

2013-07-23 9:33 AM
in reply to: #4811422

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hollister, CA
Subject: RE: Bear Lake Monster 7 Mile Swim
That's unbelievable! Your pace was still so fast! And you finished! Congrats. . Would love to hear about next years race and how you do.
2013-07-24 2:34 PM
in reply to: #4811422

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Bear Lake Monster 7 Mile Swim
Wow. That sounded tough! Call yourself "Pruneman"?
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bear Lake Monster 7 Mile Swim Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Lake Berryessa 1 Mile or 2 Mile swim

Started by reichardt614
Views: 1136 Posts: 1

2010-06-12 5:06 PM reichardt614

bear creek lake 10 mile trail race

Started by chasetunnell
Views: 649 Posts: 1

2006-12-07 10:57 AM chasetunnell

Perch Lake 2 Mile Swim

Started by autumn
Views: 2858 Posts: 7

2005-08-22 11:38 AM kelpeng

Lake Del Valle 0.75 mile swim

Started by cadreamer
Views: 1060 Posts: 3

2005-06-20 6:31 AM oliveview

Jim McDonnell 1- and 2- Mile Lake Swims

Started by cpjohnson
Views: 1152 Posts: 3

2005-05-30 8:23 PM konichiwa
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 14, 2011
author : Troy Jacobson
comments : 0
What is the difference between a recovery ride and junk miles?

date : September 15, 2008
author : lcthomas74
Soon after I got married, I decided I needed to get motivated to work out and focus on getting back into shape. I could barely jog a quarter-mile without needing a walk break.
date : November 22, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?
date : January 7, 2007
author : Writebrained
Both the Lake Triathlon Shoe CX210TRI and the Lake Road Shoe CX225 offer distinct advantages. I tested both shoes and found them to be extremely comfortable, good looking and durable.

date : December 31, 2006
author : TriSquirrel
comments : 2
A description of my experiences during my first triathlon. It was a great experience. I’m in better shape than I’ve ever been.
date : July 30, 2006
author : mhan22
comments : 2
If you are calm while everyone around you is losing it, you probably don’t know what the hell is going on.

date : April 2, 2006
author : a.maria
I think quite truly for the first time I 'get it'. It's not just about the fitness. It's not just about the great little endorphin rush as you hit 5, 10, 15 miles...its not just the medal at the end.