General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Another Wet Suit Conversation..... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-23 8:35 AM

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.
Subject: Another Wet Suit Conversation.....

On Saturday I did a modified Sprint Tri (.6 mile swim, 18 mile bike, 4.5 mile run).  The swim was in a lake and the water temp was in the mid to upper 70s.  There were about 250 people in the tri.  It was not a USAT sanctioned event so the wetsuit rule did not apply and about 1/4 of the swimmers wore their wetsuits.  I was one of them.

The reason I bring this up is that on the beach, before the race, I heard some of the other athletes saying "wetsuits are for pu$$y's" or "wetsuit? really? Lame".  Stuff like that. 

I'm very comfortable swimming in a wetsuit.  The water was not too hot and the swim was not too long to worry about overheating and I wasn't breaking any rules. 

What do you all think?  Was I being a wuss by wearing the wetsuit? 

By the way (back door brag alert), I was 4th overall in the swim.  Cool

2013-07-23 8:38 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: RE: Another Wet Suit Conversation.....
I suppose we must allow others their trash-talking but really? Given a choice, I will wear my wetsuit. I'm faster and more confident in it and I am very good at getting that baby off so I don't lose anything in transition. It's all a matter of choice.

I like to scoff at the runners that wear shoes. Pffft, .

(JK)

Patti

ps.~ Good for you on the swim!

Edited by pugpenny 2013-07-23 8:39 AM
2013-07-23 9:36 AM
in reply to: siouxcityhawk

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
In my experience, you will never hear more bad advice, blatant lies about abilities, and BS justifications than on a beach prior to the start. The absolute back of the pack talks way too much about how poorly they expect to do, the middle of the pack talks way too much about how well they expect to do (while justifying recent poor performances however they can) and the front of the pack doesn't talk much at all about anything. The overall leaders are very polar -either complete d-bags or humble, pleasant people.

Wetsuits make you faster in the swim. Translate what you heard to 'going faster for free? how stupid' or better yet, 'trying to win? how lame'. In what way does being faster make you a wuss?
2013-07-23 9:42 AM
in reply to: fisherman76

User image

Champion
Chicago
Originally posted by fisherman76

In my experience, you will never hear more bad advice, blatant lies about abilities, and BS justifications than on a beach prior to the start. The absolute back of the pack talks way too much about how poorly they expect to do, the middle of the pack talks way too much about how well they expect to do (while justifying recent poor performances however they can) and the front of the pack doesn't talk much at all about anything. The overall leaders are very polar -either complete d-bags or humble, pleasant people.

Wetsuits make you faster in the swim. Translate what you heard to 'going faster for free? how stupid' or better yet, 'trying to win? how lame'. In what way does being faster make you a wuss?

In a race that short it's basically a wash, though, as you're sacrificing transition time for speed in the water.

I am NOT a confident swimmer even after all these years and triathlons and such, so I prefer to wear a wetsuit and then lose time in T1. I really don't care if people want me to wear a wetsuit or not, I will always wear one if it's legally allowed. The best response is `You go run your race and I'll go run mine and, at the end of the day, hopefully we'll both go home happy.' or simply, `Have a good race.' and smile.
2013-07-23 9:44 AM

New user
Bremerton, WA
Wow. Maybe because I race in the Pacific Northwest, I have never heard any snide remarks about wearing wetsuits (but maybe I am missing it, hanging out in the back of my wave). In fact, during my race this weekend, my husband could pick me out while I was still a long ways out in the swim because I was the only woman in my wave wearing a sleeveless suit. There were only two no wetsuit swimmers and everyone else had full-sleeve suits. I will always use my suit. Why wouldn't you want buoyancy and hydrodynamics? Good on ya for smokin' the haters.
2013-07-23 9:52 AM
in reply to: mr2tony

User image

New user
Athens, GA
Originally posted by mr2tony

In a race that short it's basically a wash, though, as you're sacrificing transition time for speed in the water.

I am NOT a confident swimmer even after all these years and triathlons and such, so I prefer to wear a wetsuit and then lose time in T1. I really don't care if people want me to wear a wetsuit or not, I will always wear one if it's legally allowed. The best response is `You go run your race and I'll go run mine and, at the end of the day, hopefully we'll both go home happy.' or simply, `Have a good race.' and smile.

I'm one who generally would be happier not wearing a wetsuit, primarily because of my awkwardness in removing it, but assuming it didn't exempt me from age group awards or something (not a given for me, but I've had my moments) this swim is actually long enough - .6 mile is what, 1000 yards? - that even I would probably wear a wetsuit if legal. To the people who had an opinion about it, all I have to say is this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A6Bu96ALOw

2013-07-23 9:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut

I'm sacrificing very little time in transition, maybe 2 or 3 seconds...in the run to T1, you take off the sleeves, top, goggles and cap, and in T1 the key is to put your helmet on while you get your feet out. I see about 5 seconds or more savings per 100 yards of speed pickup from the wet suit, depending on salinity. The slower you are as a swimmer, the more the wetsuit helps your body position, keeping your hips and legs higher in the water. Stronger swimmers see less benefit, but there is still quite a benefit.
2013-07-23 10:04 AM

I would have handed them a kettle bell, have them attach it to their other leg-and tell them to enjoy their race!
2013-07-23 10:14 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Originally posted by fisherman76 In my experience, you will never hear more bad advice, blatant lies about abilities, and BS justifications than on a beach prior to the start. The absolute back of the pack talks way too much about how poorly they expect to do, the middle of the pack talks way too much about how well they expect to do (while justifying recent poor performances however they can) and the front of the pack doesn't talk much at all about anything. The overall leaders are very polar -either complete d-bags or humble, pleasant people. Wetsuits make you faster in the swim. Translate what you heard to 'going faster for free? how stupid' or better yet, 'trying to win? how lame'. In what way does being faster make you a wuss?

I love this answer   Run your own race and let them run theirs

2013-07-23 10:27 AM
in reply to: paxsarah

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

Originally posted by paxsarah
Originally posted by mr2tony In a race that short it's basically a wash, though, as you're sacrificing transition time for speed in the water. I am NOT a confident swimmer even after all these years and triathlons and such, so I prefer to wear a wetsuit and then lose time in T1. I really don't care if people want me to wear a wetsuit or not, I will always wear one if it's legally allowed. The best response is `You go run your race and I'll go run mine and, at the end of the day, hopefully we'll both go home happy.' or simply, `Have a good race.' and smile.
I'm one who generally would be happier not wearing a wetsuit, primarily because of my awkwardness in removing it, but assuming it didn't exempt me from age group awards or something (not a given for me, but I've had my moments) this swim is actually long enough - .6 mile is what, 1000 yards? - that even I would probably wear a wetsuit if legal. To the people who had an opinion about it, all I have to say is this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A6Bu96ALOw

I figure that the wetsuit removal takes me about 15 seconds in Transition.  I have a bad habit of getting it stuck on my right heel only?!?!?!? 

That being said, I think I take off about 3-5 seconds per 100 yards so it ends up being a benefit of roughly 30 seconds for me.  

Worry About Yourself?   CLASSIC!!!  This is a keeper for me.  THanks for the link!

2013-07-23 10:31 AM
in reply to: Socks

User image

NH
Originally posted by Socks

Originally posted by fisherman76 In my experience, you will never hear more bad advice, blatant lies about abilities, and BS justifications than on a beach prior to the start. The absolute back of the pack talks way too much about how poorly they expect to do, the middle of the pack talks way too much about how well they expect to do (while justifying recent poor performances however they can) and the front of the pack doesn't talk much at all about anything. The overall leaders are very polar -either complete d-bags or humble, pleasant people. Wetsuits make you faster in the swim. Translate what you heard to 'going faster for free? how stupid' or better yet, 'trying to win? how lame'. In what way does being faster make you a wuss?

I love this answer   Run your own race and let them run theirs

This is exactly what I thought. Have you ever heard anyone look at a crazy TT bike, or a $3000 set of wheels, or an aero helmet, and say this? Are the owners of such equipment wusses for buying and using "free" speed? Should we all ride fixies or mountain bikes to prove our mettle on the bike? There's a reason USAT has wetsuit rules - a wetsuit makes you faster, period. If someone chooses not to buy speed and use it, that's their choice. But let me make my own choices.

2013-07-23 10:55 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
I am one of those guys that is fine with or without a wetsuit. I live in the Northwest.

I think Triathlon would be much more interesting and spectator friendly if people who chose to wear wetsuits were not allowed to put them on until the Start Gun goes off. It would change the sport.

Edited by lifejustice 2013-07-23 10:57 AM
2013-07-23 11:03 AM
in reply to: lifejustice

User image

Could allow flippers also but of course they'd have to be worn during the run to T1
2013-07-23 11:36 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago
Originally posted by fisherman76

I'm sacrificing very little time in transition, maybe 2 or 3 seconds...in the run to T1, you take off the sleeves, top, goggles and cap, and in T1 the key is to put your helmet on while you get your feet out. I see about 5 seconds or more savings per 100 yards of speed pickup from the wet suit, depending on salinity. The slower you are as a swimmer, the more the wetsuit helps your body position, keeping your hips and legs higher in the water. Stronger swimmers see less benefit, but there is still quite a benefit.

Yeah but you probably don't take your time in transitions like I do. I see it as a time to relax and reflect upon life, to think about what to have for a post-race meal and what I'm going to do with the rest of my day. So there's definitely time for me to take off my wetsuit.
2013-07-23 11:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Yeah but you probably don't take your time in transitions like I do. I see it as a time to relax and reflect upon life, to think about what to have for a post-race meal and what I'm going to do with the rest of my day. So there's definitely time for me to take off my wetsuit.

Pure. Awesomeness. I like your approach. I don't subscribe, but I like
2013-07-23 12:03 PM
in reply to: lifejustice

New user
Originally posted by lifejustice

I am one of those guys that is fine with or without a wetsuit. I live in the Northwest.

I think Triathlon would be much more interesting and spectator friendly if people who chose to wear wetsuits were not allowed to put them on until the Start Gun goes off. It would change the sport.

I like this idea. We would need to make sure that people didn't use wetsuit donning performance enhancing devices like shopping bags.

As someone who hates to swim in a wetsuit, I think Age Group people who want to place should conform to the Elite wetsuit rules where the cut off is 68F.

I also think that too many people treat their wetsuits as a safety device, and that concerns me. But I'm also concerned that so many people celebrate when the swim gets cancelled on race day, so I'm probably just a cranky old man

2013-07-23 12:05 PM

User image

Elite
Cleveland
Originally posted by siouxcityhawk

Was I being a wuss by wearing the wetsuit? 

I think that you were simply in the presence of idiots.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Another Wet Suit Conversation..... Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

To wet suit or not to wet suit...

Started by bshehan
Views: 1470 Posts: 19

2006-07-26 4:37 PM drdi

Wet Suit vs No Wet Suit

Started by Randyn1
Views: 879 Posts: 3

2006-06-06 5:50 PM CitySky

Wet suit Vs No wet suit

Started by Ellen
Views: 1195 Posts: 5

2006-05-07 9:58 AM alehr2

Power suit, wet suit?

Started by hanzelmans
Views: 959 Posts: 7

2005-07-07 7:36 AM p4406

Wet suit vs. birthday suit

Started by max
Views: 1213 Posts: 7

2004-06-02 7:45 PM westfried
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 10, 2009
author : t3coach1
comments : 0
Looking to shave some time off and improve your swim efficiency during your races? We review the Rocket Skin Suit by Rocket Science Sports.

date : July 7, 2008
author : Ron
comments : 1
This is a 'first impressions' review of the Fit2Race Sockeye Fullsuit. From a first wetsuit point-of-view, I was able to dramatically improve my pace over non-wetsuit swims.
date : October 3, 2007
author : Diane1961
comments : 0
I step gingerly into the pond. I did not know water could be that cold and not be ice. Briefly I can see the bottom and then everything is black except for my pale hands extending from my black suit.

date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.