Silverback
73F / 23C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 07m 12s
Overall Rank = 4/116
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 1/12
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:30, had some oatmeal, coffee, and gatorade and packed up the jeep to head to Clinton Lake, about an hour drive from OP. The previous evening and early morning, I figured the race would at best be altered because of rain or thunderstorms. The night before had a 70% chance of thunderstorms from 8-10, Luckily, it turned out to be a great morning.

Got there around 6:15, and had an awesome time parking about 50 feet from transition. The race had a pretty low attendance rate, considering everyone from the KC Tri got a free entry. Transition was a muddy mess. Got my stuff set up at my pre-marked spot, which was the closest rack to the swim entrance and run exit.
Event warmup:

Rode about 3 miles to tests the roads. They were now dry and I wished I had aired up my tires to a higher PSI than 100, but I didn't want to if they were wet. I don't think it really mattered that much, though. After my quick ride, I headed down to the swim beach and got a solid 15 minute swim warmup while the long course race was starting.
Swim
  • 09m 1s
  • 500 meters
  • 01m 48s / 100 meters
Comments:

Swim was a bit odd, due to the low water in the lake. When the gun went off, we all ran about 100 yards into the water before we began swimming, Honestly, we could have gone a lot further, too. The 15yo that won the race was gone immediately, and since he had USA on his kit, I don't think anyone intended on following him...

I got settled in quickly, right on the feet of a 30yo, who's pace was right in tune with mine. I was able to draft off of him for 85% of the swim, and passed him on the remaining. I felt really good in the water, felt like my technique was great and wasn't working nearly as hard as in the past few races.

When we got to about 75 yards remaining in the swim, we hit a low spot in the lake and had to walk about 10 paces on rocks, and then swim the remaining distance to the beach. Really weird...

The time included the beach run to transition, my watch had 8:02 for the swim, which is a 1:35/100m pace, which is right where I was hoping for.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe push the pace a bit more on the way in, but my HR was really low for the swim, which I think contributed to a better start to the bike.
Transition 1
  • 00m 40s
Comments:

1st in AG, 6th OA

Nice and smooth. I may have wasted a few seconds walking past my spot, but quickly recovered. I forgot my rubberbands at home, so I was hoping I didn't have any issues with the flying mount and my shoes dangling. It worked out fine, but I hope I remember them next time.

Nothing, leaving the shoes clipped in has been really helpful so far
Bike
  • 34m 43s
  • 13 miles
  • 22.57 mile/hr
Comments:

Race Director indicated the bike course turn around was extended a half mile longer to make it safer. We had to tackle one hill on the 550 rd stretch (damn). This tacked on an extra mile for the bike, which is why this is 13 instead of 12. My garmin had 13.3 after starting it late and stopping it early, so maybe even more.

Overall, awesome ride. First race with the disc cover, and it really helped. I rode hard the entire time, was never passed, and was really happy with the output. I was immediately able to get into a good groove and felt the power from my legs, as opposed to last weekend at Shawnee Mission.

About 4 miles into the ride, a big bee flew into my face, got lodged between my sunglasses and eyebrow, and I got stung. I'm surprised I was able to stay upright, as I thought I was about to get stung in the eyeball and I couldn't get the damn thing free. That would not have been good. I regrouped quickly, and the pain stopped after the turnaround.

I had a solid negative split, averaging almost 25 mph on the way back (probably an elevation loss) and a 23mph average for the entire ride according to my Garmin. So I'm going with that!

Nothing. By far my fastest ride to date in a race, on a pancake flat and smooth course conducive to fast riding.
Transition 2
  • 00m 33s
Comments:

1st in AG. 7th OA

Nice and smooth. Took some extra time rubbing mud off my feet before getting my shoes on.

just run faster, i guess
Run
  • 22m 17s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

My first run sans garmin in a race. I immediately started feeling how much my legs worked on the bike, and my quads weren't interested in running. Eventually, they loosened a bit.

The run was pretty uneventful. The achilles acted fine, and even after the race feels better than before. I ran hard the entire time, passed about 5 people, and really kicked to the finish. I was definitely hurting, as opposed to last week. I'm happy with the run, given the lack of run training lately to keep the achilles happy.

I hope to be able to start training a bit more, which should help. But again, I am content with this pace, as my effort was high.
Post race
Warm down:

I needed to take it easy after finishing, as I was not feeling well (stomach). After I settled down, I did some light stretching, and checked my results. I saw that I finished first in my AG (AWESOME), and then realized I finished 4th overall, and missed the top 3 BY ONE SECOND!!!! SERIOUSLY?!? One second...

I immediately went from really happy, to super pissed. How often do I get a chance to be on the overall podium?! But in the end, I am happy with my result, and if I took out anyone that had USA on their kit, I would have been second overall! haha

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of run training. But I've kept the achilles tendonitis from getting worse, so I'm proud of that.

Event comments:

I thought this was really well ran for the first time. The drink station on the run was in a weird spot, around mile 2, and then you ran by it again a half mile later. I think for long course guys that probably sucked....

Last updated: 2013-06-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:01 | 500 meters | 01m 48s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/12
Overall: 6/116
Performance: Good
My watch had 8:02 immediately out of the water, making a 1:35/100m pace. The mat was right by transition, so this included a 100 yard run up the sand beach.
Suit: Sugoi tri top and short
Course: Triangle, only one buoy to sight
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:40
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:34:43 | 13 miles | 22.57 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/12
Overall: 2/116
RD said the bike was at least a half mile long on the way out. So I changed it to 13 miles, as my Garmin also had 13.3, despite starting it late and stopping it early to transition.
Wind: None
Course: 6.5 miles out, 6.5 miles back
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:33
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:22:17 | 03.1 miles | 07m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/12
Overall: 9/116
Course: Loop through the campgrounds at bloomington beach
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2013-07-23 11:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Prairie Village, Kansas
Subject: Lawrence Triathlon Short Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lawrence Triathlon Short Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Lawrence Triathlon - International Course

Started by rageeumr
Views: 1146 Posts: 1

2013-07-22 10:53 AM rageeumr

Door Country Triathlon - Short Course

Started by crea0029
Views: 1456 Posts: 5

2006-07-25 5:54 PM crea0029

Life Time Fitness Triathlon - Short Course

Started by UTTriman
Views: 2043 Posts: 15

2006-07-27 1:58 PM huskyboy

Timberman Triathlon - Short Course

Started by mneyedoc
Views: 1048 Posts: 1

2006-07-09 8:16 AM mneyedoc

Square Lake Triathlon - short course

Started by Git-tRi-Done
Views: 1155 Posts: 2

2005-09-15 8:36 PM autumn
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 7, 2013
author : GaryRM
comments : 1
Underwater Audio short-cord swim bud review.

date : March 28, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
My left leg is significantly shorter than my right by 7mm. For the bike I got an extra shim in my cleat, so I'm wondering if orthotics would be called for in my running shoes?
date : June 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Second in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries

date : December 10, 2009
author : stubberoo
comments : 0
The first time out and 50 meters in my oxygen was in very short supply. I realized that all that running didn't do much for this sport.
date : August 20, 2008
author : newhomeowner
comments : 16
If you’re reading this because you’re still not sure, sign up for just one triathlon – a short sprint.

date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
Any good race director will go over the triathlon swim course directions many times.
date : September 1, 2004
author : infosteward
Experts agree, doing a “mock,” triathlon on the course you’re racing can aid you in your training; performance and most of all quell some nervous energy.

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
How to fit in a running workout in 30 minutes or less for a busy lifestyle