General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Any super slow swimmers out there? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-07-25 3:34 PM
in reply to: Mellie03

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Any super slow swimmers out there?
Yep. Me. I identify myself as a slow and adequate swimmer being usually near the end of the pack. I don't care, either.
I will survive my 3rd IM coming up in Sept., though. That I will note.

2013-07-25 7:44 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

New user
Originally posted by Jason N

Originally posted by oldSAP would anyone share their training to speed up their swim pace? i don't have access to any coach in my place. i swim at an average of 3:00/100meter and would really love to up my pace.

You likely have some serious stroke flaws at that speed.  The good news for you is that the big stroke flaws are usually the easiest to identify and correct.  Have a good swimmer or a lifeguard watch you swim for a little while and I guarantee you they'll give you 2-3 tips that can tremendously help your form.

The second part which you asked about as far as training.  It doesn't have to be complicated.  Just swim as much as you can.  Probably 2x, or maybe even 5x what you're swimming now.  You would probably be best working on shorter sets for now...maybe 8x25m or 4x50m with maybe 10 seconds rest between each 25m and 15 seconds rest between each 50m.  Then about 1 minute break between the entire set.  Make sure to swim at a good effort though.  You should be gasping for air near the end of each set.  Keep doing sets like these till you've swam as much as you can for the day (hopefully at least 45-60 minutes) and you should get out of the pool feeling exhausted. 

While it is important to work on form, don't underestimate the benefits of taxing your cardio system by swimming hard.  Yes, your form will deteriorate some when you get tired, but this just means as your swimming fitness improves, your easy effort will become faster...thus you'll be able to maintain your form at a faster pace.  And when you swim faster, your body will naturally streamline...thus improving your form even more.

there aren't any good swimmers in my area so i was planning on asking someone to video record me while swimming and maybe send the video to a friend of mine who's a good swimmer.

i've started swimming intervals yesterday and averaged 3:00/120meters. did them 5-6 times, and yes, i was gasping for air after each set too, and my strokes usually deteriorates when i reach 80-90meters. so your post was spot on. thank you for your reply. i'll try to do more swims and more intervals per swim.

@austhokie, my pool swims do have drills and intervals but i think i'm not doing enough of them though. thanks for your tips.
2013-07-25 10:34 PM
in reply to: oldSAP

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
Originally posted by oldSAP
Originally posted by Jason N

Originally posted by oldSAP would anyone share their training to speed up their swim pace? i don't have access to any coach in my place. i swim at an average of 3:00/100meter and would really love to up my pace.

You likely have some serious stroke flaws at that speed.  The good news for you is that the big stroke flaws are usually the easiest to identify and correct.  Have a good swimmer or a lifeguard watch you swim for a little while and I guarantee you they'll give you 2-3 tips that can tremendously help your form.

The second part which you asked about as far as training.  It doesn't have to be complicated.  Just swim as much as you can.  Probably 2x, or maybe even 5x what you're swimming now.  You would probably be best working on shorter sets for now...maybe 8x25m or 4x50m with maybe 10 seconds rest between each 25m and 15 seconds rest between each 50m.  Then about 1 minute break between the entire set.  Make sure to swim at a good effort though.  You should be gasping for air near the end of each set.  Keep doing sets like these till you've swam as much as you can for the day (hopefully at least 45-60 minutes) and you should get out of the pool feeling exhausted. 

While it is important to work on form, don't underestimate the benefits of taxing your cardio system by swimming hard.  Yes, your form will deteriorate some when you get tired, but this just means as your swimming fitness improves, your easy effort will become faster...thus you'll be able to maintain your form at a faster pace.  And when you swim faster, your body will naturally streamline...thus improving your form even more.

there aren't any good swimmers in my area so i was planning on asking someone to video record me while swimming and maybe send the video to a friend of mine who's a good swimmer. i've started swimming intervals yesterday and averaged 3:00/120meters. did them 5-6 times, and yes, i was gasping for air after each set too, and my strokes usually deteriorates when i reach 80-90meters. so your post was spot on. thank you for your reply. i'll try to do more swims and more intervals per swim. @austhokie, my pool swims do have drills and intervals but i think i'm not doing enough of them though. thanks for your tips.

Two things that will offer you some help:

1. Mr. Smooth: http://www.swimsmooth.com

2. Sheila Taormina's book: http://www.amazon.com/Swim-Speed-Secrets-Swimmers-Triathletes/dp/1934030880/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1374809634&sr=1-1

2013-07-26 4:01 PM
in reply to: Mellie03

User image

I'm right there with ya, and share your experience!

I was at about a 2:30/100 a few months ago and really frustrated that I couldn't get any faster. I tried everything when it came to fixing my form. Finally took a Master's class and the instructor told me I had decent form, but I'm a sinker. Sure enough, I got into a salt water lagoon, stopped treading water, and sank right to the bottom. I'm not sure if this applies to you or not, but a few things really helped me get a little faster with less effort. First, I began to tilt my head up about a 45 degree angle so I was looking more forward and less straight down. This improved my body position in the water so I was creating less drag. Second, I began keeping my elbows high as I pulled. This helped me to exert a little less effort while again reducing drag. I will also agree on the wetsuit thing. Being a "sinker", once my buoyancy was improved with the wetsuit I improved my speed dramatically. With all of the above, I'm now at around a 1:45 - 1:50. Good luck to you!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Any super slow swimmers out there? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Slow Swimmer.

Started by iwantotri
Views: 714 Posts: 4

2006-09-20 5:30 PM auto208562

Another slow swimmer question

Started by millarg
Views: 1105 Posts: 7

2006-01-26 9:30 AM us50090

Slow Total Immersion Swimmers? Pages: 1 2

Started by RGRBILL
Views: 3275 Posts: 26

2006-01-27 8:07 AM amiine

Slow swimmer question

Started by steve66
Views: 1030 Posts: 9

2004-07-31 12:09 PM tsiltman

Slow swimmer

Started by katfan97
Views: 1185 Posts: 12

2004-05-19 7:23 PM Andrea
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 28, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
The anatomy, diagnosis and treatment of swimmer's shoulder.

date : August 29, 2011
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
If swim workouts are much more trying than your bike and run workouts, try these tips
date : May 6, 2011
author : garyhallsr
Being comfortable in the water and knowing where your body parts are trump power and strength any day

date : December 27, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 5
Are you a new swimmer starting your triathlon training? Here are some top answers to member questions as you begin your triathlon swim training.
date : October 7, 2008
author : didds
Cotswold super sprint - UK. Lots of bodies colliding, I swam half over someone, got kicked by some bloody breaststroker, and as a mob we poured towards the first buoy.

date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.
date : July 30, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Since I didn't have much time and since it's a super sprint, am I OK just go to at the training relatively hard through Thursday or even Friday?

date : September 4, 2004
author : surfking
Triathlons - Not an Ordinary Workout