General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Retul Bike Fit Question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-23 4:28 PM

New user
Subject: Retul Bike Fit Question
I am considering buying my first tri bike and I have seen a lot of “get fit first”. Forgive me if this is a ridiculous question, but how do you know the fitter doing the Retul fit is not steering you towards the brands they carry? I am guessing the answer lies a little bit in that they hook you up with numerous sensors to allow the computer to dial in your ideal position. It is clearly in their best interest to get you on a bike they sell and I am not questioning their honesty, but I would like to better understand how you know the fitter/fit session is giving you an unbiased and accurate fit. If he says “ok son here is your ideal fit and btw it is identical to this nice Cervelo over here”, how do you know that is the case? I won’t know if that position “feels” right because I have never sat on a tri bike before. Finally, I can also see how your ideal/preferred position for training and racing is not the exact position the Retul computer spit out because over 50/75/100 miles you need to balance comfort and power output versus just going with the best position some computer says is ideal for you.

I know I am long legged short torso’d with long arms and have often wondered I could just shop brands like Cannondale, Trek, Scott, Specialized and then dial it in from there.

These fittings aren’t exactly cheap, but they are a whole lot cheaper than buying the wrong bike only to have to sell it and buy another, which is absolutely what we all want to avoid.

I appreciate your time.

2013-07-23 5:53 PM
in reply to: BigDLobo

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Subject: RE: Retul Bike Fit Question
If you are honest about your comfort in the positions, and there is some sort of power measurement going on, your retul fit should produce reliable stack and reach coordinates, from which you can shop for whatever bike lines up with those. Should have little to do with the shop's brands.
2013-07-24 11:43 AM
in reply to: fisherman76

User image

Veteran
Littleton, CO
honestly any reputable retul fitter in your area will have most likely done 100's of fits and people on it and a little research will show you that so that should help calm the nerves a bit. I was in contact with two different ones during my decision process talked to them both about my goals etc and decided which way to go.

I had ZERO issues with them telling me what bike to get from there store however I was set on a brand they carried if it fit. My fitters plan was to get me into the most aero, comfortable, powerful position that I could obtain at that time and give me the measurements for the bike database.

He walked me through the database showing me what would fit from every brand including about 5 they did not and would not carry. I could have left with all of that information and gone and bought a bike in that size anywhere.

I was given a big report including pictures and all of the information from the day after and its a great tool if I ever plan to buy another bike. I was really concerned about wanting to get more aggressive in the future and he also took this into account when helping to choose a size and bike. I went back about 45 days after the retul and bike fit for a check up and basically had nothing to change I was more than comfortable and happy with the fit and still am. However, with the cost associated in the fit it seems that at least my fitter was willing to do just about anything to make me happy.

Also on price search around a bit I found that my fitter refunded 200 of the 350$ if I bought a bike from them. I told them the bike I wanted was 300$ cheaper at another store they matched it and refunded the 200$
2013-07-24 2:59 PM
in reply to: #4812120

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chatham. Ontario
I had a retul bike fit done this spring and was very impressed. This bike fitter does not work out of any store and sells no bikes or products. He told me what bikes were my best options and did not care if I bought it from the Internet or a bike shop. After buying the bike, I returned and had it dialed in. I was quite impressed with the process.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Retul Bike Fit Question Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Retul Fit, bike choices

Started by str8himalaya
Views: 1246 Posts: 8

2013-06-22 1:50 PM str8himalaya

RETUL Bike Fitting?

Started by taylorz13
Views: 1880 Posts: 8

2013-06-05 12:02 PM ChrisM

Retul fit now or wait?

Started by Kombi
Views: 1220 Posts: 6

2013-01-26 7:45 PM Kombi

Retul vs F.I.S.T Fitting options

Started by JZig
Views: 2424 Posts: 5

2012-03-13 7:23 PM JZig

Cycling Pain / Retul Fitting

Started by knightrun11
Views: 922 Posts: 3

2010-06-13 4:25 PM m2tx
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 8, 2010
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
I am in the market for a new road bike, at several local bike stores I will test ride several bikes. Other than basic fit and components, how should I compare them while doing a test ride?

date : June 17, 2009
comments : 0
I can run and swim with no problems but when I get on the bike my hamstring starts to tighten up. I had my bike fitted in January and the problem seemed fine until I got out on the roads recently.
date : May 11, 2009
Motion capture technology with 2D and 3D analysis offers some powerful benefits compared to just a standard bike fit.

date : April 14, 2008
The bike fitters at Fit Werx talk about all the components of a triathlon bike fit and how it relates to aerodynamics and the individual.
date : August 7, 2007
author : sportfactory
Cyclists may be at risk of developing CTS due to long hours spent in one position. These eight tips can help you prevent carpal tunnel syndrome while grinding out those long hours on the bike.

date : June 11, 2007
author : sportfactory
Learning about the proper pedal interface, how to best acheive pedal force, good cycling form and bike fit, we can learn to achieve greater bike speed.
date : July 17, 2005
author : AMSSM
Proper Bicycle Fit and Treatment of Common Cycling-related Medical Problems

date : February 28, 2005
author : Don Magie
Whether your bike is new, new to you, or you have not been on the bike for a long time, you really should spend some time thinking about how your bike fits you.