General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Manitowoc Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-24 1:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin
Subject: Manitowoc

What is there to do in Manitowoc.  I was suppose to be racing the Dairyland Udder Half but it got cancelled due to low enrollment.  I have a hotel that I can not cancel, so figure I would go and check the city out. I'll be their the night of August 2nd.

I see that their is a maritime museum with a WWII sub.  I am a WWII buff so I will be definitely be checking that out.  Anything else to see?  Attractions not involving Lake Michigan would be great, I love the lake but I grew up on it so it's nothing new.  

Anyone up for a ride on Friday August 2nd?  Don't have much experience riding with people but it could be fun.

More importantly - Are there any good brewpubs? 

2013-07-24 8:32 PM
in reply to: Justin86

User image

Veteran
, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Manitowoc
Hmmm...That's a bummer about your race! I grew up in Two Rivers ("Trivers") so I know a little about Manitowoc. Unfortunately, I never felt like it was the most exciting of towns. The maritime museum is really cool and worth the visit.

Other things around there:
-Point Beach State Forest (nice hiking, but on the Lake so maybe not of interest to you)
- Woodland Dunes (nature preserve with hiking, I haven't been there in years)
- Beerntsens (old fashioned ice cream shop & confectionary - I always try to stop there!)

There is some sort of festival that weekend (lakeshoreweekend.org) but I've never attended.

The only Brew Pub in Manitowoc (that I know of) is the Courthouse Pub. I really like their food & I have enjoyed their beers, but it doesn't have that typical "Brew Pub" feel. I think it's a good place though.

You're really only 30 min or so from Green Bay, so you could go there too....see the Packer Hall of Fame, if you're a fan... I'm not (ducking and running); check out the New Zoo, etc.

I guess it all depends on what you're interested in. Hope you find something!
2013-07-25 8:04 AM
in reply to: SpottedCow

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin

Originally posted by SpottedCow Hmmm...That's a bummer about your race! I grew up in Two Rivers ("Trivers") so I know a little about Manitowoc. Unfortunately, I never felt like it was the most exciting of towns. The maritime museum is really cool and worth the visit. Other things around there: -Point Beach State Forest (nice hiking, but on the Lake so maybe not of interest to you) - Woodland Dunes (nature preserve with hiking, I haven't been there in years) - Beerntsens (old fashioned ice cream shop & confectionary - I always try to stop there!) There is some sort of festival that weekend (lakeshoreweekend.org) but I've never attended. The only Brew Pub in Manitowoc (that I know of) is the Courthouse Pub. I really like their food & I have enjoyed their beers, but it doesn't have that typical "Brew Pub" feel. I think it's a good place though. You're really only 30 min or so from Green Bay, so you could go there too....see the Packer Hall of Fame, if you're a fan... I'm not (ducking and running); check out the New Zoo, etc. I guess it all depends on what you're interested in. Hope you find something!

Thanks for the suggestions.  I might check out the Dunes, or Point Beach if there is good hiking, being on the lake is fine, I'm just wouldn't all to excited to go to just a beach or the like.  Or maybe I should, OWS??

Didn't know there was a new zoo in Green Bay, might be worth the look, been to the Packers hall of fame a few times.  I am also not the biggest Packer fan (football fan for that matter).

2013-07-25 8:11 AM

User image

I just saw that got canceled. I live in Manitowoc area. There are bunch of us that do Triathlons. There are some group rides going on Sat morning if you interested. I might ride the Manitowoc Triathlon route. It would be early, around 6am

2013-07-25 9:01 AM
in reply to: Milkthecowbaby

User image

Veteran
, Wisconsin
Here's the link for the NEW Zoo in Green Bay...if you need it :

http://www.newzoo.org
2013-07-30 8:46 PM

User image

well im off Friday if you want to ride early

2013-07-31 5:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Germantown, 'Sconsin
Kurtz Pub in Two Rivers - Beer by the Yard! Have to check that out.

Saturday evening is the Packer's Family Night. Sling up there and see if you can score some tickets on the streets. I would imagine there would be some available, and cheap.
2013-07-31 12:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin

Originally posted by Milkthecowbaby well im off Friday if you want to ride early

I would, but I wont be getting up there until probably early afternoon.  Thanks for the offer though.

2013-08-07 4:17 PM

User image

what did you do?
2013-08-08 8:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin

I wound up going to the maritime museum, checked out the dunes.  The museum was cool.  It was a decent visit, just wish I would have had my HIM.

Made it back to my house in time for a long bike ride.

Overall it was a good weekend!

2013-08-08 9:57 AM

User image

Do you know why they canceled it? Not enough people sign up?

I checked it out but it did not fit in my budget this year.

2013-08-08 12:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin

Originally posted by Milkthecowbaby Do you know why they canceled it? Not enough people sign up? I checked it out but it did not fit in my budget this year.

Yes, they said they did not have enough people.

2013-08-10 8:48 PM

Look for a Half IM distance race in Elkhart Lake in Sept. 2014 to replace it. Not a done deal but it is in the works.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Manitowoc Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Manitowoc YMCA

Started by Milkthecowbaby
Views: 567 Posts: 1

2010-07-30 9:28 AM Milkthecowbaby

Manitowoc - New Bike Shop

Started by Milkthecowbaby
Views: 3422 Posts: 3

2010-01-26 1:26 PM TracyV

Manitowoc - Two Rivers Triathlon : Official Thread