General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chicago Mayor is a SLOW triathlete Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-07-25 10:41 AM

User image

DC
Subject: Chicago Mayor is a SLOW triathlete
So says the Wall Street Journal.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324564704578626070625...

The articles discusses how his 1:30 completion time is impressive until you learn that he's a sprint competitor (shorter/less competitive than an olympic). There's no mention how the 16 mile sprint distance is more miles than most mayors in American walk in an entire year... let alone the general population. I get that this type of media sells, but really... you're going to bash a high-profile/potentially motivating figure for doing something rather than nothing!?

2013-07-25 11:10 AM
in reply to: Porfirio

User image

Subject: RE: Chicago Mayor is a SLOW triathlete
I put this in the same category as the article a few weeks back about how triathlons can kill you, because of the guy who did a race 9 months prior, then had a heart attack while out on a run...meant to be sensational, likely written by someone who doesn't know their from their (insert other expletive) here...

and the sad thing is that articles like that potentially influence ppl to not try racing...hell, I'd love to have a 1:36 time, my last sprint sucked...and I loved his extrapolation into the times for the olympic - why not just go further and predict his times for an ironman
2013-07-25 11:15 AM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
i believe this article answers the question for those who ask "who says that?" in reply to why people say shorter distances are only for beginners and irrelevant.
2013-07-25 11:19 AM
in reply to: #4813510

User image

Wow what a mean spirited article!
At least he is doing something he enjoys and keeping fit at the same time - I don't think that he ever claimed to be an Olympic athlete!
I would prefer a fit and healthy mayor a million times over the mayor of Toronto who is so grossly overweight and out of shape the I fear for his life every time I see him interviewed.
2013-07-25 11:20 AM
in reply to: slowbuthappy

User image

Originally posted by slowbuthappy

Wow what a mean spirited article!
At least he is doing something he enjoys and keeping fit at the same time - I don't think that he ever claimed to be an Olympic athlete!
I would prefer a fit and healthy mayor a million times over the mayor of Toronto who is so grossly overweight and out of shape the I fear for his life every time I see him interviewed.

or the New Jersey Governor...
2013-07-25 11:24 AM
in reply to: Clempson

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pretty sure he was in my age group last couple years and I have crushed him every time we raced

I have to be careful I might get audited by the IRS.

What I think they were getting at is that at the Chicago race the field in the sprint is generally weaker than it would be at normal sprint. From past experience I do much better as percentage in the sprint than I would normally do at other sprints in the area. It’s just about the same price to race both races so most people go for the Olympic

I like the sprint because I am done by 8 am and get first crack at the food. Plus I like to go fast

2013-07-25 11:34 AM

User image

Veteran
Tempe, Arizona
Wow, what an utterly stupid article by the Wall Street Journal!

Nice to know that I'm in the same category as Mayor Rahm, a SLOW triathlete! Do they really think that most triathletes do this to podium? Stupid, stupid, stupid... Hats off to Mayor Rahm for keeping fit and getting out there. Now I know what I have to do to start in the "elite athletes group" wave, become a mayor.

Wall Street Journal - one less newspaper to read if this is their standard quality of article.
2013-07-25 11:35 AM
in reply to: Clempson

User image

Phoenix AZ
Originally posted by Clempson

i believe this article answers the question for those who ask "who says that?" in reply to why people say shorter distances are only for beginners and irrelevant.

I think the article is a total hack job. But in my experience, there are a greater number of new participants in sprints, making the field a bit less competitive. Oddly enough, there seem to be almost as many n00bs in 140.6 races as there are in sprints. Not saying that they're out of shape or unprepared, but a lot of bucket listers whose first and perhaps only experience with multisport is the iron-distance race they signed up for. In the end though, who cares what Henniker or anyone says. Go out and have fun. Race for yourself.
2013-07-25 11:39 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Slow, Fast, whatever, it's all relative.  I agree that the article is a needless bash and it's nice to see that the Mayor doesn't respond or even ake any statements about his triathlon hobby.  My guess is he knows he's not fast too....and doesn't care. 

Still, there's nothing in that article that's not true.  If you can't do MINIMUMS of swim the 750 in 12 minutes, avg. 21-23 mph on the bike, and run 7:30 miles for a sprint tri you aren't even close to being "fast".  And those minimums will just get you a wiff of what fast really looks like.  It doesn't matter........most of us will NEVER be "fast" when compared to people who truly are.  It's still worth waking up and lacing your shoes for.  Looking at pictures of the 50 year old mayor.....I bet he gets that just fine.

Edited by Left Brain 2013-07-25 11:39 AM
2013-07-25 11:42 AM

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
Like how they state that sprint distance races are for beginners then quote and "elite" athlete that finished ninth in the sprint. What a waste of journalism.
2013-07-25 11:50 AM

Maybe he would be faster if he quit smoking...

2013-07-25 11:51 AM
in reply to: BuckHamilton

User image

DC

What I think they were getting at is that at the Chicago race the field in the sprint is generally weaker than it would be at normal sprint.

Maybe it's true that the Chicago Sprint is "less competitive" than other sprints. But the point is that Rahmbo ought to get credit for his active lifestyle choices. It's totally uncalled-for to claim he's slow. Slower than who? The article's authors? Other mayors? How about most Americans?

2013-07-25 12:33 PM

User image

If you can complete a triathlon at Any pace then you are faster than most people in the world. Nobody should be tearing down any finisher for not being fast enough.

Haters gonna hate.
2013-07-25 12:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Good seeing anyone in my AG (50-54) out there competing. No matter what the pace is it is still better than what the majority of the 53 y.o. males in Chicago did that morning, sleep in.
2013-07-25 1:04 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Originally posted by Porfirio

What I think they were getting at is that at the Chicago race the field in the sprint is generally weaker than it would be at normal sprint.

Maybe it's true that the Chicago Sprint is "less competitive" than other sprints. But the point is that Rahmbo ought to get credit for his active lifestyle choices. It's totally uncalled-for to claim he's slow. Slower than who? The article's authors? Other mayors? How about most Americans?

I think the point is that others (not the mayor, as the author notes) have indicated (or at least inferred) that the mayor's accomplishments are exceptional in the athletic world. They may be exceptional for the average person, but they are nothing particulalry exceptional in the tri world. Whether it was necessary to write an article to make that point is an open question.
2013-07-25 1:22 PM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
Originally posted by JohnnyKay

Originally posted by Porfirio

I think the point is that others (not the mayor, as the author notes) have indicated (or at least inferred) that the mayor's accomplishments are exceptional in the athletic world. They may be exceptional for the average person, but they are nothing particulalry exceptional in the tri world. Whether it was necessary to write an article to make that point is an open question.

This.

2013-07-25 1:52 PM

User image

I just really can't understand why they even wrote this article unless the author simply doesn't like him? Weird.

Patti, A Slow Beginner (Sprint-lovin') Triathlete
2013-07-25 1:56 PM
in reply to: thebigb

User image

I never got the feeling they were implying that they were exception in the tri world...but that the writer of the article was trying to infer that...but more that the mayor is proud of his accomplishments (and why shouldn't he be), and that maybe him getting out there and doing them will inspire others to try
2013-07-25 1:56 PM
in reply to: thebigb

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin

Looks like I should just quit triathlons!  I took 5/15 and 38/206 in my last sprint.  I guess I'm to slow and it's not worth it.

I guess there should only be 3 people in each AG that race.

2013-07-25 2:05 PM
in reply to: Justin86

User image

Champion
Chicago
Originally posted by Justin86

Looks like I should just quit triathlons!  I took 5/15 and 38/206 in my last sprint.  I guess I'm to slow and it's not worth it.

I read this yesterday and was completely baffled as to why it was even written> I think the reporter was going for an angle that hadn't been touched yet, but saying the mayor is slow, or that it's not hard to beat him in a race? That's bullllllpucky.
2013-07-25 2:12 PM
in reply to: mr2tony

User image

DC
Originally posted by mr2tony

I read this yesterday and was completely baffled as to why it was even written> I think the reporter was going for an angle that hadn't been touched yet, but saying the mayor is slow, or that it's not hard to beat him in a race? That's bullllllpucky.

I reckon this is some classic Chicago-hating from the East Coast.

2013-07-25 2:12 PM
in reply to: Justin86

User image

Pro

If it's worth it to you then that's all that matters.  

In the overal triathlon picture, you are not fast.  I'm in the same glass house so don't think I'm throwing bricks. We're not fast....it is what it is. I enjoy triathlon.  Go watch fast people.....you'll get an entirely diffferent perspective.

2013-07-25 3:04 PM
in reply to: 0

Very strange article, considering it discussed his results in the 2012 tri and wasn't published till 11 months later. And I don't think the article mentions whether he plans to compete this year (Aug. 25).
Also a bit odd to belittle his effort while including sentences saying, "Emanuel has never misrepresented his triathlon accomplishments," and "He's always been relatively quiet about his triathlon finishes."
BTW, here are the stats for his effort: http://athlinks.com/result/207102/323333/127553900/127539219.Solid, but not spectacular. He could bring his swim and run times down a lot. Probably on the trainer a lot.
As for sprints vs. other triathlons, I guess we all have our own opinions. I wouldn't want my mayor spending 2+ hours a day it takes to train for an Ironman instead of, you know, being mayor.

Edited by RZ0 2013-07-25 3:14 PM
2013-07-25 3:08 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Regular
This is a biased media at its finest, which is the root of most of the problems in the country today. No outlet simply reports the news, they have to spin it to meet their respective angle (full disclosure, I am a WSJ subscriber). So, because Emanuel is a hated Dem politician, articles like this get written.

I wonder how quickly the reporter finished the same Triathlon (even if it was only a sprint). My guess is he got winded typing this article.
2013-07-25 3:13 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin
Originally posted by Left Brain

If it's worth it to you then that's all that matters.  

In the overal triathlon picture, you are not fast.  I'm in the same glass house so don't think I'm throwing bricks. We're not fast....it is what it is. I enjoy triathlon.  Go watch fast people.....you'll get an entirely diffferent perspective.

I was being sarcastic, I'm pretty sure you got that but just wanted to make sure.

I enjoy the triathlon and I don't care if I'm fast or not (which I'm not).  All that matters to me is that I finished and gave it 100% of my effort.  Doing that I (and all of us) are light years ahead of probably most people. 

I think we should be congratulating this mayor, it's shocking to see an article about a politician doing something productive and healthy.  I don't know much about his politics, but its refreshing to see this.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chicago Mayor is a SLOW triathlete Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

new, slow triathlete looking for training/equipment advice

Started by formongo
Views: 1451 Posts: 18

2011-07-28 2:53 PM alath

Slow Fat Triathlete book

Started by DRG
Views: 1370 Posts: 16

2006-07-03 3:18 PM Colomingle

Why am I so slow on the bike? Pages: 1 2

Started by surfwallace
Views: 3671 Posts: 38

2013-08-06 7:22 PM adelsud

Why am I so slow on the bike?

Started by lablover
Views: 2082 Posts: 24

2005-04-05 8:41 PM runnergirl29

Am I to Slow to participate?

Started by Tamzo
Views: 1254 Posts: 4

2003-08-15 6:25 AM Tamzo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 17, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
comments : 5
Being a pro triathlete is even more boring than you might have thought

date : June 17, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
It seems that if I swim that slow I begin to sink and I have to either kick or pull harder to compensate while my heart-rate starts going up. I find myself kicking too hard trying to keep afloat.
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : December 18, 2006
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
Sinus bradycardia is defined as a heart rate less than 55 beats per minute. Bradycardia is commonly seen in well conditioned athletes, but other circumstances can cause a slow heart rate.
date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 2
I’m terrified of biking hills and the triathlon I am registered for has several hills…on AND off road!! I’m willing to do whatever it takes to finish this triathlon. Any guidance?

date : October 2, 2005
author : writers2
comments : 20
My First Half Ironman Experience-A Slow, Fat, Old Triathlete. Here is my story of my first, and probably only Half Ironman. I’m an almost 52 year old, VERY Athena triathlete.
date : April 17, 2005
author : sekhmet
comments : 1
We live in a fast-paced society and gym time seems more of a chore than an escape. Rushing through a workout not only yields fewer results but makes athletes prime candidates for injury.

date : January 10, 2005
author : mikericci
comments : 0
The misconception of LSD is that it’s easy. What I have learned over the years is that LSD or "running slow" is relative to each person.