Racine, Wisconsin
United States
World Triathlon Corporation
Total Time = 7h 43m 35s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got to Racine about 10:30am on Saturday morning intending to do a group swim. However, I just couldn’t seem to get out of my apartment in Chicago in time and was running a little behind. Arrived in Racine and found a parking spot near transition. Spent about 20 minutes looking for the expo and taking everything in. Realized the expo was somewhere else, so got back in the car and headed to the right spot. Went through the expo and was getting super-pumped about everything that laid ahead. Stayed for the pre-race meeting at 11:30 and my heart was racing with excitement! Was all set to go grab some lunch and head to transition when I realized I forgot to get a timing chip! Yikes! Went back into the expo, got my chip and was on my way. Was craving a sammich and found a neat little shop called Taos Chili. Had a delicious sammich and was on my way to transition. Rode my bike around a bit and made sure everything was perfect. I knew it was already, but still felt I should double-check. Decided it was time to go to the hotel (the Casa Ocho Tremendo! (Super 8)) and was almost to the car. Decided I should probably let some of the air out of the tires since it was hot and sitting in the sun. That’s when I noticed a gash in the rear tire! Scooby Doo says “Ruuuuh Roooh!!” Grabbed my helmet and rode back to the expo to get a new tire. The Trek Store carried my tire and I let them put it on for me. Rode back to transition and was thankful I noticed the issue today since a blowout could have ruined the race. It was about dinner time by this point and wondered into a Italian joint (Salute Italian Restaurant) and had a big pasta and meatball dinner. Went to the Casa Ocho Tremendo and re-packed my transition bag and made sure I had everything. Went to bed about 9.
Event warmup:

Nothing really of note. Transition was about a mile from the start so I walked there. My wave was an hour after the race start so I had time to goof around before the race started. I like being in later waves for this reason!
Swim
  • 54m 56s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 36s / 100 yards
Comments:

The sea was angry this day!!!! I felt like an ant in a washing machine!!! I'd never swam in water this rough before and was a little nervous about it. However, since I had DNF'd Pleasant Prairie Oly Tri a month ago due to an ill-fitting wetsuit and OWS anxiety I was determined to power through it. I did and feel great about my performance. I heard about 150 people DNF'd the swim and I saw people hanging on to paddle-boards and throwing up all over the place. Not this guy! I may not have been fast, but I didn't stop and sure as heck wasn't going to accept defeat! Sighting was super-hard as most of the time when I looked up all I saw was a big wall of water and nothing else. Sometimes I'd be able to sight and realize I was carried way out and would then have to start swimming diagonal to get back where I needed to be.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. Nada. I did it and I'm proud!
Transition 1
  • 12m 59s
Comments:

I suck at transitions. I took my time a bit since I was a little disoriented from the swim. I don't own a tri-top so I had to change into a jersey wet. That takes time. Glad I took some extra time because my head really was wishy-washy after that swim!

Nothing really. Get a tri-top? I'm glad I took the extra time because I needed it!
Bike
  • 3h 28m 57s
  • 56 miles
  • 16.12 mile/hr
Comments:

Loved the bike portion. I'm getting a little sore spot in my upper back and need to get that checked out with the fitter. Not sure if more T.I.T.S. will fix it or not. Took it easy on the bike as to limit recovery time. Drank an entire bottle of Perpetuem on the ride to test it on my stomach since I plan to use it in the Ironman. the only part that I need to change is to get a better water bottle with a bigger mouthpeice that doesn't leak. I dripped a lot of that sticky stuff on me. Feel like my nurtition was really dialed-in and have logged the nutrition I took and intervals to make sure I do the same at the IM.

Nothing. Ride went well and I am glad I held back to save recovery time as I'm already biking again this week.
Transition 2
  • 08m 56s
Comments:

As I mentioned above, I need a tri-top. I need to practice transitions. But the biggest time-waster in T1 was that someone else racked their bike in my spot. So I first shoved the bike over and jammed my bike in. But then I realized that would just anger those around me, so I removed my bike and ended up putting it in the other guy's spot. But his transition was set up so wide that I had no choice but to put my front wheel in the middle of his stuff. This probably made the guy angry (and maybe this is why he didn't rack his bike in his own spot). But I didn't have any more time to waste so I went on...

Should have just left the other guy's bike shoved over. And get a tri-top.
Run
  • 2h 57m 47s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 13m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

I knew I had plenty of time in the run and again, I didn't want to push it and have to spend a lot of time recovering from the race. I walk-ran most of it (more walking I think) and feel good about finishing strong! Glad I am able to train this week instead of having a long recovery. I think I made the right choice.

Nothing. I had a strategy to go slow and followed it. Glad I did so.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a cold beer at the Tiki-hut place. It was a good beer.

Event comments:

What a neat race! The swim could have been smoother, but not bad for my first 70.3. Probably could have shaved off 1-1.5 hours if it were my A-Race. Next year I'll probably have a 70.3 as such a race and will be able to see how well I can do. Loving the new bike and just need to get it tweaked a bit. Feeling good about everything right now! Next stop, Ironman Wisconsin!!! :-)

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-02-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:54:56 | 2112 yards | 02m 36s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 12:59
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:28:57 | 56 miles | 16.12 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 08:56
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:57:47 | 13.1 miles | 13m 35s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-07-25 11:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Chicago (Old Town)
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Racine
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Racine Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 Racine Pages: 1 2

Started by kimk
Views: 6050 Posts: 26

2010-07-22 8:14 PM miami9296

Ironman 70.3 Racine

Started by TUEFELHUNDEN
Views: 3475 Posts: 10

2013-07-22 5:34 PM Diesel J

Ironman 70.3 Racine

Started by GRB1
Views: 3632 Posts: 7

2010-07-22 12:11 PM Ershk

Ironman 70.3 Racine

Started by swimwiu52
Views: 3185 Posts: 7

2010-07-22 12:27 PM Ershk

Ironman 70.3 Racine

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 4989 Posts: 19

2013-07-22 4:15 PM rdietz
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.