General Discussion Triathlon Talk » sweating on the bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-25 12:05 PM

Subject: sweating on the bike
so i am a sweater, nothing new there but as my training time/distance keeps ramping up, i am having issues with my sunglasses getting cloudy from sweat. the sweat tends to drip and blow off my helmet onto my sunglasses (at least i think that is where it is coming from). anyone else have this issue? i am wearing a Giro Aeon helmet for training and Rudy Wingspan for races. my sunglasses are Tifosi.

my question is does anyone else have this issue? is there a way to correct this from happening? i have thought about splashing water on my sunglasses every hour or so to clean off the sweat/salt but i am not sure if this would really do anything beside leave waterspots. i have also thought about trying to wear a halo headband under my helmet but i am not sure this will do much either or fit. any help is welcome!
thanks!

2013-07-25 12:19 PM
in reply to: weiky

User image

Subject: RE: sweating on the bike
Halo head band.

Get the kind that tie in the back.

http://store.haloheadband.com/
2013-07-25 12:29 PM
in reply to: 0

Master
Memphis, TN
Halo Headband and vented sunglasses

I like the ones that don't tie in the back and are just a headband and not a full scalp coverage

/thread

Edited by Jtiger 2013-07-25 12:29 PM
2013-07-25 12:29 PM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Pro

Originally posted by DanielG Halo head band. Get the kind that tie in the back. http://store.haloheadband.com/

OK Daniel.... I just ordered a couple after having to pull over the last two rides from getting blinded by sweat/salt in my eyes..  You will be held accountable on this. Laughing

2013-07-25 1:03 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

I have the same problem. My glasses are covered in salt when I am done riding. Haven't done anything to fix the problem yet, might have to order a headband or two myself. 

Edited by Aarondb4 2013-07-25 1:13 PM
2013-07-25 1:04 PM

Atco, NJ
I use the halo also (non-tie version) when its hot. However, for me, after about 45 min to an hour, depending on how hot it is, even that starts to drip on me (I know it's in the right spot and have always hand washed). I don't get the fog as you describe. I get full on drips onto the inside of my sunglass lens. The halo is better than nothing though. Let us know if you hear of any other ideas.

2013-07-25 1:22 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by DanielG Halo head band. Get the kind that tie in the back. http://store.haloheadband.com/

OK Daniel.... I just ordered a couple after having to pull over the last two rides from getting blinded by sweat/salt in my eyes..  You will be held accountable on this. Laughing

Have at it.

I went from having to wash (not rinse, wash) my glasses every ride to being able to go a week or two weeks without having the salt fog collect.

I also got the full head du-rags that tie in the back for winter riding.

The reason I suggest the tie in the back ones is the sweat band ones that don't tie start getting loose and the sweat starts sneaking down between the rubber piece and your face after a few months of use. If you tie them, just tie 'em a bit tighter and it works for years.

2013-07-25 3:00 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
I found that glasses that don't have a rim around the sides or bottom fog up less. Oh and don't stop. Cool
2013-07-25 3:39 PM
in reply to: njtiger

User image

Originally posted by njtiger

I use the halo also (non-tie version) when its hot. However, for me, after about 45 min to an hour, depending on how hot it is, even that starts to drip on me (I know it's in the right spot and have always hand washed). I don't get the fog as you describe. I get full on drips onto the inside of my sunglass lens. The halo is better than nothing though. Let us know if you hear of any other ideas.

Another heavy sweater here. I have not had good experience with the head bands. I don't know exactly what the problem is but I think the band becomes so saturated that it precipitates through the band and over the yellow strip. I think this is made worse on a tri bike because your head is closer to horizontal.

The only thing I have learned is that sunglasses that don't have a frame at the bottom of the lens are better because they at least let the sweat drip out.

What are vented sun glasses?

Keba
2013-07-25 11:54 PM
in reply to: KebaNYC

I use sunglasses that have no frame on the bottom and the lenses still get sweat on them and sweat drys enough to leave them foggy...sounds like i need to get a Halo band and at least give that a try.
2013-07-26 7:22 PM

User image

Master
University Park, MD
I'm a dedicated Halo headband user. (I suspect I got the idea from Daniel G -- if they're not giving him kickbacks, they should be.) They definitely help, but for heavy sweating they only go so far. For a longer workout or race on a humid day, I'll have multiple headbands, e.g., so that I can switch to a fresh one in T2.

I normally don't have too much problem with sweat rivers when I'm on the bike on relatively flat terrain, thanks to the airflow. But on a climb or when I stop it can be pretty bad, even with the headband. And it's even worse with an aero helmet. I did a du a couple of weeks ago on a super humid day, and the sweat was raining down from my helmet onto my glasses. Yuck.

2013-07-26 7:26 PM
in reply to: colinphillips

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
I've got a halo and a bondi band. It's been pretty humid here lately (monsoon season) and they are both good for about 40 minutes and then they fail miserably. Then the sweat ends up running down the inside of my lenses and will eventually end up in my eyes. Frustrating beyond belief. Thankfully it's only humid here for a couple months and then it dries back out.
2013-07-26 7:37 PM
in reply to: thebigb

User image

New user
i use buff headwear
2013-07-27 10:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights
Originally posted by DanielG

Halo head band.

Get the kind that tie in the back.

http://store.haloheadband.com/

This.

Originally posted by jeng

I found that glasses that don't have a rim around the sides or bottom fog up less. Oh and don't stop. Cool

And DEFINITELY this...

Edited by Stillmanji 2013-07-27 10:51 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » sweating on the bike Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Indoor Bike Trainers And Puddles Of Sweat??

Started by supa-powa
Views: 4395 Posts: 14

2009-04-28 8:22 PM dmckeen

Spin bike / treadmill........ handling sweat

Started by maxmansmom
Views: 3216 Posts: 11

2009-02-15 9:29 PM McFuzz

How much do you sweat on your bike trainer? Pages: 1 2

Started by agarose2000
Views: 3421 Posts: 37

2008-12-09 12:15 PM daijoubu

Head sweat on the bike. Pages: 1 2

Started by vabeachnut1
Views: 2046 Posts: 29

2008-07-10 2:57 PM FishHog

Sweat drips in my eyes while on the bike

Started by WakeMan
Views: 1172 Posts: 5

2005-03-31 8:12 AM David14
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : March 31, 2011
author : Curt Chesney
comments : 0
Core temperature, hydration, liquid absorption and sweat rates: how they affect racing in the heat
date : November 29, 2009
author : mrakes1
This discussion focuses on gastrointestinal (GI) upset on the bike and run and several ways to alleviate the issue.

date : October 10, 2009
author : qt2systems
In this fourth video of Training for an Ironman, Jesse Kropelnicki will discuss Ironman nutrition before and during the race. Includes carboloading and your race breakfast.
date : December 27, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.

date : August 5, 2008
Are you traveling to a race and need to ship your bike? This video will demonstrate how to disassemble your bike to be able to pack it properly in a bike case for shipping.
date : September 25, 2007
Are you a heavy sweater? Do you finish a race covered in white-streaks? Do you cramp during a race? Than this article is for you.

date : April 12, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
For athletes, the saying “Drink responsibly” holds true for all fluids. Don’t let dehydration—or overhydration—hurt your ability to enjoy exercise and perform at your best.