General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I'm tired of how much I stink... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-26 3:15 PM

New user
Subject: I'm tired of how much I stink...
No really, I literally stink. How do I get the smell out of my workout clothes? I run during lunch which means my clothes have to stay in a gym bag at work until I get home. By the time I get them into the wash, they are super stinky. So much so that they still stink coming out of the dryer. I know that these new materials wick the sweat away, but they also absorb the smells super well. What does everyone do?

2013-07-26 3:19 PM
in reply to: Carrick1973

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: I'm tired of how much I stink...

Is there any place you can drape the clothes to dry before putting them in a gym bag?

Are you using one of the detergents designed for workout clothes? i.e. WIN, Penguin

2013-07-26 3:24 PM

User image

Someone on here suggested Tide with Fabreeze...I think its designated as for "athletic clothes" or something like that. It seems to work well.
2013-07-26 3:24 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

New user
Originally posted by rrrunner

Is there any place you can drape the clothes to dry before putting them in a gym bag?

Are you using one of the detergents designed for workout clothes? i.e. WIN, Penguin

Why no, no I'm not using one of those. I'll have to pick up some WIN and give it a shot, because I can't stand to be near myself... Thanks rrrunner!
2013-07-26 3:30 PM

New user
Well darn - I did a search and couldn't find much, and now I see at the bottom of this post a bunch of relevant threads. Mods - please feel free to delete this if you all want...
2013-07-26 3:41 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2013-07-26 3:52 PM
in reply to: pahmiyel

Veteran
Roll Tide!!
I use Charlies Soap, its natural with no scent , and gets every bit of the smell out of not only my smelly WO clothes, but also a disgustingly smelly (like we have to crack the windows on the way home from the game) 15 year old basketball player's clothes. And no chemicals to soak in through your skin Smile
2013-07-26 4:23 PM
in reply to: Meljoypip

Payson, AZ
just do your athletic clothes separate and add some vinegar to the wash.  A little goes a long way and your clothes will not smell like vinegar after (nor will they smell like you)
2013-07-26 5:05 PM

Veteran
the Sipp
The other thing I'd mention here aside from how to wash the clothes at home, is that If I were you, I'd wash 'em out in the sink at work right after my workout with some detergent or at least just rinse 'em out with water...this will at least help some. The biggest problem is you're trapping all the sweat, moisture, and funk inside the gym bag and it's just growing cultures inside that bag until you open it up...so I'd also find a place to drape the clothes to air dry until you leave. Might not be possible but that'd help alot.
2013-07-26 6:25 PM

New user

Miami
My job has a shower. I just get in the shower with my workout clothes on and rinse out the sweat. Then i take them off and take my shower. I had the same problem with sweaty clothes marinating all day in my gym bag.
2013-07-26 7:46 PM
in reply to: angelo314

Even though you're not supposed to, I machine wash my cloths sometimes in hot water. It's the only thing that truly kills the bacteria. I try to wash my cloths, at least my bike shorts, after working out with water and whatever hand soap I can find. That seems to really help. I still cold machine wash them too though (weekly workout clothes load).

2013-07-26 8:55 PM
in reply to: Blastman

New user
use vinegar or baking soda when soaking them before washing and dry them under the sun, but not directly.
2013-07-26 11:34 PM
in reply to: oldSAP

I get in the shower with my clothes and rinse them out. Once I finish my shower I ring them out several times and then lay them in the back of my truck to dry while I finish my day at work. I then wash them with Tide with Fabreeze once I get home. No more smelly clothes

I went through all last summer with smelly clothes before I noticed someone else do this...
2013-07-27 1:25 AM
in reply to: #4814226

I have some running shorts that stink up pretty bad and my solution is to wash the in borax, it does a good job and has been around forever.
2013-07-27 7:13 AM
in reply to: tri.bob

Expert
Wendell, NC
NO FABRIC SOFTENER WITH TECH CLOTHES
2013-07-27 7:19 AM
in reply to: La Tortuga

^^ THIS!! No fabric softener. Makes the stink stay. I wash all my workout clothes separately in Sport Wash detergent (I've thought of the vinegar, but concerned about that amount of acidity w/ the fabric) then hang dry. SO MUCH better.

2013-07-27 10:13 PM

Iowa City, Iowa
Not sure if anyone mentioned this but if you could rinse them in a sink, ring them good, and find a spot to let them dry that should help reduce the smell.
2013-07-28 4:00 PM
in reply to: ChemNerd23

Expert
, New Hampshire
If I have to have my sweaty clothes in a bag for a while before I can get home to hang them before they go in the wash (yup, I hang them to dry before throwing them in a hamper), I place them in a mesh bag or drape it on a towel spread out in my car. I've also done the rinsing in the sink thing. Wring it out with a towel, then throw it in your car with the window cracked a little to dry out. You could get fancy and hang them to dry in your car.
2013-07-29 10:57 AM
in reply to: GreenMtnLabbit

New user
Thanks everyone - a lot of excellent advice in this thread. My first trick will be to jump in the shower with my clothes on and rinse the sweat out of them as much as possible and then let them hang dry for a bit while I finish my shower. That should take care of the initial stench. I'll give a couple of these ideas a shot and see how they work for me. Thanks again!
2013-07-29 11:41 AM
in reply to: oldSAP

Veteran
Baking soda (a weak base, 0.5-1 cup/load) and soap will do great to clean off alot of the oily sweat stuff.

Additionally, you may find using vinegar (weak acid, less than 0.5 cup/load) as a *rinse* will not harm the fabric, doesn't linger, and will help neutralize any remaining soda. Using vinegar with soap likely renders the soap a little *less* effective.

-J
2013-07-29 12:15 PM
in reply to: karlaj

I soak my workout clothes for about half an hour before I wash them (I just let the washer fill up with the lid open). I also set the washer for second rinse. I don't think that works if you have to use a laundromat, though.

2013-07-29 12:40 PM

Regular
Ottawa, ON
I also do my training during lunch time. Few things I do every day:

1- shower in the morning before work: when come time to workout, your transpiration will be 'clean'. You will not smell as your body and skin is 'fresh' from the early shower. (same goes for biking into work) I don;t have shower here so this trick helps a lot IMO.

2- always wear different clothes: that goes for your underwear too. I have a few set (5+) of tech shirt and running short at work which I rotate each day. Never wear the same one per week unless you really need too. On Friday, I bring everything home to wash and back to the office on Monday.

3- always air my wet clothing after each workout: I use an extra chair in my office to dry my clothes. After each workout, I hang shirt, shorts and a small towel on it. Before I leave work, I toss them into my gym bag for the rest of the week. If it is not complety dry, I will leave them on the chair and remove them first thing in the morning.

4- a good fan: I bought a 8 inch Sunbeam Blizzard fan for the office. Small and compact enough to be on my desk, I turn it on right after I come back from my workkout. It helps cool me down and provide enough 'air flow' to dry me quickly removing any 'smell' from my workout.

5- Don't stay in your wet clothing: Once I am back at the office, it is 2-3 minutes in front of the fan to cool down and than right to the washroom to remove my workout clothes. The longer you stay in them, the worst the smell will be in my experience. Once I am back into my work clothes, I keep my fan going for 5-10 minutes to fully cool down.

6- one load workout clothing: as other mentioned, I do one load per week which only has workut clothing. I used the 'quick wash' cycle from the washer and at times put some baking soda. Air dry and it is good to go!

Hope it helps!
2013-07-29 1:15 PM
in reply to: Dave 2.0

Originally posted by Dave 2.0

The other thing I'd mention here aside from how to wash the clothes at home, is that If I were you, I'd wash 'em out in the sink at work right after my workout with some detergent or at least just rinse 'em out with water...this will at least help some. The biggest problem is you're trapping all the sweat, moisture, and funk inside the gym bag and it's just growing cultures inside that bag until you open it up...so I'd also find a place to drape the clothes to air dry until you leave. Might not be possible but that'd help alot.

I do this a lot also. I'll get in the shower fully dressed and wash up a bit as I undress in the shower. I also almost exclusively wear under armour or dri-fit clothes so I don't have a bunch of soaked cotton in the bag. Mesh bags and 'shoe dogs' help too.
2013-07-29 3:05 PM
in reply to: Chokebait

http://www.freshwaveworks.com/store/pc/Sport-c16.htm

This stuff really works. The Chicago Blackhawks equipment managers use it.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I'm tired of how much I stink... Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Stink, stank, STUNK...make it go away!

Started by akrenik
Views: 1778 Posts: 22

2010-01-04 10:13 AM Whizzzzz

I'm tired of reading these articles...

Started by chris hughes
Views: 1482 Posts: 15

2006-08-23 10:17 PM luminary01

Tires, tires, tires

Started by poolejr
Views: 1798 Posts: 15

2006-04-06 11:32 AM the bear

I'm Tired

Started by MUL98
Views: 1035 Posts: 12

2006-01-18 1:56 PM jszat

I'm tired!!

Started by chris hughes
Views: 1040 Posts: 11

2005-04-30 5:40 PM Bisucas
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 7, 2008
author : katzchen55
comments : 3
My thanks to the triathlete community for being there when I need you. That’s the beautiful thing about triathletes. None of us are all right, and no one expects anyone else to be.

date : May 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Did you flat training or racing on your tubular tire? This video will show you everything you need to do to change your tubular tire.
date : January 1, 2008
author : BGTwinDad
comments : 2
We will take a peek into the lowly saddlebag to see what needs to be in there in case of emergency. Much of this may be common sense, some might surprise you, and some are simply just my opinion.

date : November 6, 2007
author : Ron
Don't know how to take that rear wheel off of your bike? Is the chain making things difficult? Learn how to remove your rear wheel if you have to change your bike tire or fix a flat.
date : September 10, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 12
This video tutorial will show you how to fix a flat tire and also how to change the tire itself. Don't wait until you're out on the course at the races to learn how.

date : September 6, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
It depends on your preference and what's important to you. I'll list some of the beliefs that are out there and comment on a few.
date : September 3, 2006
author : Ontherun
A general observation of how fatigue can be caused by so many different sources. Finding the true reason can be as simple as watching the sun rise.

date : April 3, 2005
author : BGTwinDad
comments : 3
One procedure for changing a tire that you might learn from, but certainly don't want to follow precisely!