General Discussion Race Reports! » German Fest Run/Walk for the Hungry Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

German Fest Run/Walk for the Hungry - Run

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
United States
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 22m 41s
Overall Rank = 119/1017
Age Group = M 40 - 44
Age Group Rank = 6/42
Pre-race routine:

Got to the site a half-hour before race time and did a litttle jogging and light stretching. Did my best to avoid eating a footlong bratwurst with kraut right before running (it wasn't easy-- they smelled good!)
Run
  • 22m 41s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

As usual, I should have seeded myself further to the front of the pack, but I just don't like acting like I'm "Joe Runner Guy". I still don't feel like a runner, and at 191 pounds, I don't look much like a runner. But as usual, my decision to start further back, caused me to get boxed in behind slower runners (even a lady pushing a walker-- not kidding!) and it definitely cost me some time. Although I planned on starting a little easy and pumping out negative splits, it turns out I ran a very consistent pace of around 7:14's every mile.
What would you do differently?:

Start further toward the front of the pack. Consider using a walker myself.

I am a little disappointed I ran this 5k slower than last week's (St. Dom's), which was a harder course on a hotter day. Maybe I can only peak for one or maybe it hurt that I got away from running longer distances for a while to tackle both of these 5K's.

Still, I can't complain too much about finishing 6th in my AG against some pretty fast competition. it's worth noting that if I was 10 years older and had the same time , I would have finished 15th in my AG, not 6th. Just goes to show it all depends on who shows up!
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Starting too far back in the start pack and probably not opening my kick sooner as we approached the finish line.

I've also been dealing with a swollen knee about the size of a grapefruit--- it doesn't hurt but it does limit my flexibility.

Event comments:

To me, this race took a slight step back this year. In the past, they've handed out sausages and chocolate milk at the finish in addition to water. This year, it was just water. The t-shirts were awful (as usual). But it is a nice family-friendly race and you can't beat the free admission to Germanfest, not to mention the food!

Last updated: 2013-07-26 12:00 AM
Running
00:22:41 | 03.11 miles | 07m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/42
Overall: 119/1017
Performance: Good
Course: The usual loop near the north end of the Summerfest grounds. 36 total feet of elevation.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-07-26 3:57 PM

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Subject: German Fest Run/Walk for the Hungry

2013-07-28 11:56 AM
in reply to: #4814286

User image

Elite
Madison, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: German Fest Run/Walk for the Hungry
Nice job Rich!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » German Fest Run/Walk for the Hungry Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Dirty German Endurance Fest - 50K

Started by jkholden
Views: 1296 Posts: 2

2012-05-23 12:13 PM BigDH

Live Like Andi Walk, Run and Fashion Walk

Started by hamiltks10
Views: 1004 Posts: 1

2009-05-11 12:06 PM hamiltks10

Foot Fest 4 Mile Run & Walk

Started by JJCraig
Views: 1702 Posts: 1

2007-11-22 10:05 AM JJCraig

Run to German Fest

Started by tall_tri_dad
Views: 795 Posts: 3

2007-07-28 12:25 PM tall_tri_dad

Run to German Fest

Started by scoobysdad
Views: 817 Posts: 2

2007-07-28 8:20 PM LindaKC
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 31, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 5
Is giving into cravings necessarily a bad thing?

date : March 5, 2009
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on an eating plan to lose weight, lean protein sources, being hungry, recovery foods, eggs and Marni's favorite supplements.
date : April 11, 2007
author : Coach AJ
Discussion on the walk/run technique, run injury and cadence, barefoot running, staying aero on long climbs and HIM preparation

date : April 3, 2006
author : mrakes1
comments : 7
There are tons of great diets out there for people who eat meat, but I can’t find anything for vegetarians. I also find that when I eat healthy, I am hungry all the time.
date : March 5, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussion on tapering, treadmill workout, long run issues, insituting run/walk, surrounded by hills and knowing your LT.

date : September 26, 2004
author : Team BT
comments : 3
Pain shows us how strong we are. After last weekend I am convinced of this. After 151 training hours of swimming, biking, and running, I flew to Sonoma County, California for the race.
date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.