Pearland,Tx
Subject: RE: Widow sues USAT

2013-08-01 1:19 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Originally posted by strykergt

I want to throw another log to the fire:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2012/10/27/richie-angelo-death-del...

Added info

but in a legal case all the happy thoughts/feelings like this article is - don't apply - you can be a fit person and have medical issues...

my mom had a friend growing up who married a guy in the SEAL's - even with all their training/medical checks - he had a heart defect that was never diagnosed - something happened while he was doing a diving training mission and he died underwater...you just don't know
2013-08-01 4:16 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago

Added info

So the coroner said he had a heart condition, and she still wants to blame the race? Sigh.

While I am pulling for USAT, I would NOT be shocked to see a judge or jury award her some insane amount. Sad all the way around.
2013-08-01 4:21 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Chicago
Originally posted by paxsarah

Originally posted by mr2tony

Do you understand that anybody can sign up for AG Nationals? Or is that just another fact you didn't have when you started making assumptions?

This was the Olympic distance. You have to qualify.

D'oh! OK well that's that, then. Apologies LB.

Edited by mr2tony 2013-08-01 4:21 PM
2013-08-01 4:46 PM
in reply to: mr2tony

User image

Pro

Originally posted by mr2tony Do you understand that anybody can sign up for AG Nationals? Or is that just another fact you didn't have when you started making assumptions?

Dude....you are so far behind on things you should apologize for I have lost count. LMAO  Tongue out 

2013-08-01 4:51 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
Chicago
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by mr2tony Do you understand that anybody can sign up for AG Nationals? Or is that just another fact you didn't have when you started making assumptions?

Dude....you are so far behind on things you should apologize for I have lost count. LMAO  Tongue out 

No way. I'm always right. Well, almost. Just ask my wife.

2013-08-01 5:18 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Originally posted by strykergt I want to throw another log to the fire: http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2012/10/27/richie-angelo-death-del... Added info

I guess I must be heartless but I don't see how blaming others is any sort of way to honor this man's life. He was obviously passionate about triathlon, he unfortunately died doing something he loved and apparently he left a long lasting positive legacy. We all should be so lucky.

This lawsuit and the desire to place some sort of blame is no way to honor him IMO. 

2013-08-01 6:16 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Master
Originally posted by Aarondb4

Originally posted by strykergt I want to throw another log to the fire: http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2012/10/27/richie-angelo-death-del... Added info

I guess I must be heartless but I don't see how blaming others is any sort of way to honor this man's life. He was obviously passionate about triathlon, he unfortunately died doing something he loved and apparently he left a long lasting positive legacy. We all should be so lucky.

This lawsuit and the desire to place some sort of blame is no way to honor him IMO. 

x2 but I don't fault a vulnerable spouse as much as a scumball lawyer who takes advantage of the normal grieving process.
2013-08-01 6:37 PM
in reply to: pschriver

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Originally posted by pschriver

x2 but I don't fault a vulnerable spouse as much as a scumball lawyer who takes advantage of the normal grieving process.

I am not lawyer but how do you know it wasn't the spouse who picked up the phone out of some sense of entitlement? There are tons of examples of people assuming everything is someone else's fault for which they should be compensated. I don't know which is the case so in absence of that, I am not ready to ascribe your chosen adjectives to either.
2013-08-01 6:40 PM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Originally posted by Stuartap

I am not lawyer but how do you know it wasn't the spouse who picked up the phone out of some sense of entitlement? There are tons of examples of people assuming everything is someone else's fault for which they should be compensated. I don't know which is the case so in absence of that, I am not ready to ascribe your chosen adjectives to either.

Nah, we all know exactly what happened [in our heads] cuz we read al about it on the interwebz!  My sister in law said they're selling cell phone numbers too!   Please do not interrupt a good discussion with a request for actual facts.   We couldn't handle that!

2013-08-01 7:01 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Originally posted by ChrisM

Nah, we all know exactly what happened [in our heads] cuz we read al about it on the interwebz!  My sister in law said they're selling cell phone numbers too!   Please do not interrupt a good discussion with a request for actual facts.   We couldn't handle that!

MY BAD!

2013-08-01 7:35 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Master

We know what happened, an honorable man died doing the sport he loves. A travesty. A lawyer gets involved to profit from it?????
2013-08-01 7:49 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx

Guys

looks like the wife just set-up a foundation in honor of her late husband.

http://www.wickedlocal.com/beverly/topstories/x1808722802/Beverly-w...

I am wondering if they will accept students aspiring to be future IMs who will cross the sea.

just saying

2013-08-01 8:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

We know what happened, an honorable man died doing the sport he loves. A travesty. A lawyer gets involved to profit from it?????

I hate being the guy to defend lawyers but it is comments like this that force me to jump back in. Based on what evidence do you assume it was a lawyer seeking "to profit from it" other than you want it to be that way? If the family initiated the action and sought out an attorney and none took the case you would cry foul because the bad lawyers refused to help this poor woman get her day in court.

If a lawyer gets involved they need to be paid just as you need to get paid to do your job.

I completely agree it is very sad that "an honorable man died doing the sport he loves". Any shot at lawyers involved in this case without facts is simply your bias, nothing more. As I said above, I don't know the circumstances that led to the lawsuit so I am not prepared to attack the family for trying to profit from this tragedy any more than I am the attorney involved. Any such claim is baseless.
2013-08-01 8:59 PM

User image

Master
1. " Based on what evidence do you assume it was a lawyer seeking "to profit from it" other than you want it to be that way?" See #2

2."If a lawyer gets involved they need to be paid just as you need to get paid to do your job." I think you answered your own question better than I could. I do a good bit of charity work.

3."If the family initiated the action and sought out an attorney and none took the case you would cry foul because the bad lawyers refused to help this poor woman get her day in court." I would not cry foul but I might have more respect for lawyers for not taking meritless cases. I don't really know because I don't have all the facts.

4. " I completely agree it is very sad that "an honorable man died doing the sport he loves". Any shot at lawyers involved in this case without facts is simply your bias, nothing more. As I said above, I don't know the circumstances that led to the lawsuit so I am not prepared to attack the family for trying to profit from this tragedy any more than I am the attorney involved. Any such claim is baseless." Sorry, I'm not sure I understand your point? Maybe if you throw in sisters-in-law or cell phones it will clear things up.

Edited by pschriver 2013-08-01 9:00 PM
2013-08-01 11:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

1. " Based on what evidence do you assume it was a lawyer seeking "to profit from it" other than you want it to be that way?" See #2

2."If a lawyer gets involved they need to be paid just as you need to get paid to do your job." I think you answered your own question better than I could. I do a good bit of charity work.

3."If the family initiated the action and sought out an attorney and none took the case you would cry foul because the bad lawyers refused to help this poor woman get her day in court." I would not cry foul but I might have more respect for lawyers for not taking meritless cases. I don't really know because I don't have all the facts.

4. " I completely agree it is very sad that "an honorable man died doing the sport he loves". Any shot at lawyers involved in this case without facts is simply your bias, nothing more. As I said above, I don't know the circumstances that led to the lawsuit so I am not prepared to attack the family for trying to profit from this tragedy any more than I am the attorney involved. Any such claim is baseless." Sorry, I'm not sure I understand your point? Maybe if you throw in sisters-in-law or cell phones it will clear things up.

1. See #2

2. Wow the view must be pretty good from up there! You have absolutely no idea of the financial relationship between the lawyer(s) in this case and the spouse but you are sure he/she must have chased down the ambulance. Clearly there are limits to your charity.

3. “I don't really know because I don't have all the facts.” Precisely what I have been saying. You DON”T have all the facts, yet you freely cast aspersions on the lawyer(s) nonetheless.

4. Well we are in agreement here. I have no idea what sisters-in-law or cells phones have to do with this as I never made any such reference. The point I was making is since we don’t have all the facts how about we don’t assail the character of anyone involved.

2013-08-02 10:40 AM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I have been following this for a couple days.  Figured I would finally just throw in a comment or two.

I think my general stand is that we all know the risks, accept them, and if something should go wrong and there is no neglect on the side of the race?  It should be thrown out.

BUT, I also always try to look at it from the other side.  I would be devastated if I lost my wife.  Even if she was doing something she loved to do.  It's probably human nature to want to blame SOMEONE.  Even God for taking them.  Few people can sit back at the death of a loved one and just say, "well, they did what they loved and signed the waiver".   So  I understand the emotional side of it.

It probably doesn't help that there seems to be a rash of drownings this year.  It's probably a blip in the world of statistic, but people latch on to that.

It probably doesn't help how triathletes treat the swim as a badge of courage.  Just look on BT and find 100's of posts about how rough the swim is.  People threatening to punch someone for swimming over them.  The kicking and pounding.  I think it get's the "I walked 6 miles both ways to school, uphill, in the snow" routine, actually.  There's that YouTube video of the guy Tri swim training getting pummeled by guys with foam bats.  I also seem to think that those with the least amount of experience tend to exaggerate the difficulty of the swim more than those experienced in Tri.  I bet to the initiated, a tri swim may seem inherently stupid and dangerous.  If I were a lawyer, I could take all those posts/video and make a case that it's dangerous for anyone to organize an event like this.  But you could probably take the same posts and say the swimmer was obviously aware of the dangers and still signed up.

The spouse probably has all the "support" from family and friends and a legal council that encourage her to blame.  They probably go around talking about how dangerous Tri is and something should be done about it.  I would guess she is not in this for profit.  I would assume she would take her husband back over a settlement check.

2013-08-02 10:47 AM
in reply to: BAMBAM66

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Wow, sad for the family and a tragic event.

However, I do not know what to take on this. A person knows the risk and signed the waiver. But, the circumstances needed a judgment call based off of safety. However, did the rest of the field complete the swim with no issues?

So many questions, but something that will need to be worked out at the trial.
2013-08-02 10:49 AM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

The one line of this article that stood out to me:

"A Burlington Police report suggests that Richie Angelo was floating, face down, for seven to 10 minutes before he was pulled from the water."

Even as a triathlete who understand the risk I accept with every swim, thinking that my spouse was floating there for 7-10 minutes with no help might prompt me to action too.

I'm not sure what they mean when they say a "police report suggest" that something happened.  Maybe that's speculation.  But if a coroner is willing to testify to that as part of his/her report, the court could see that as neglect on the part of the RD.

2013-08-02 11:04 AM
in reply to: noelle1230

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Originally posted by noelle1230

The one line of this article that stood out to me:

"A Burlington Police report suggests that Richie Angelo was floating, face down, for seven to 10 minutes before he was pulled from the water."

Even as a triathlete who understand the risk I accept with every swim, thinking that my spouse was floating there for 7-10 minutes with no help might prompt me to action too.

I'm not sure what they mean when they say a "police report suggest" that something happened.  Maybe that's speculation.  But if a coroner is willing to testify to that as part of his/her report, the court could see that as neglect on the part of the RD.

the report probably included eye witness reports from the kayakers saying they saw him not moving for a while and it took a while for them to get over to him and just estimated the time.
2013-08-03 6:39 PM

User image

Master
Central Indiana

Richie Angelo seemed like a great guy & a competitive AG triathlete.
No amount of legal wrangling will bring him back, but it might well serve to threaten a sport he loved.

2013-08-03 10:41 PM

User image

Expert

LB. How can anyone take anything you say seriously with that profile pic?!?.. sheesh...

Personally, I think the whole thing is sad..

no winners in this case. 

Edited by KateTri1 2013-08-03 10:45 PM
2013-08-04 5:48 AM
in reply to: KateTri1

User image

Pro
Originally posted by KateTri1

LB. How can anyone take anything you say seriously with that profile pic?!?.. sheesh...

Personally, I think the whole thing is sad..

no winners in this case. 

Kate,  please don't hate me because I'm beautiful.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Widow sues USAT Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

Partially blind triathlete sues over requirement he wear blackout glasses Pages: 1 2

Started by BrianRunsPhilly
Views: 3264 Posts: 36

2012-04-27 2:03 PM bel83

IM NA is being sued for death at IMFL Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Fred D
Views: 11676 Posts: 221

2009-07-11 3:26 PM dexter

Triathlon-widows replacing Golf-widows in our PTA

Started by guncollector
Views: 998 Posts: 6

2006-10-03 7:23 AM velocomp

Another triathlete dies...but his widow wins.

Started by Cmikul
Views: 809 Posts: 2

2005-08-19 3:55 PM the bear

The real Sue Crystal River Story...

Started by G8RSAX
Views: 645 Posts: 7

2004-09-21 8:07 PM sue7013
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2012
author : USATriathlon
comments : 1
This USAT Rules Clinic will help you avoid penalties. Topics discussed will be rules of the transition area, drafting penalties, the drafting zone, challenging penalties and more.

date : March 29, 2011
author : USATriathlon
Robert Vigorito, the Mid-Atlantic Council Chair, discusses USAT and some of it's initiatives in 2011
date : June 27, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
After starting the season with only the goals of raising money for cancer research, Stacey finds herself with the opportunity to go to the Long Course Championships in France.

date : March 5, 2006
author : Ontherun
Most triathlons in America are held under USA Triathlon sanctioning. Last year I finally got a national ranking. Here are a few reasons to join.
date : June 14, 2005
author : Team BT
USA Triathlon has announced that it will no longer sanction events owned by the World Triathlon Corporation (WTC) or Ironman North America (IMNA).

date : May 16, 2005
author : infosteward
"After accepting the job, I asked Bill to put on my desk the entire major concerns that needed to be addressed immediately upon my arrival. I wanted the toughest challenges he could give me."
date : May 3, 2005
author : infosteward
Can the USAT serve its 50,000+ members largely made up of weekend warriors in search of age-group hardware, while catering to the small percent of elite or pro athletes?

date : September 1, 2004
author : AskMrsBT
USAT and membership and racing.