General Discussion Triathlon Talk » rescue can strap rubbing skin raw on open wtr swims Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-28 3:59 PM

New user

Subject: rescue can strap rubbing skin raw on open wtr swims
I do a lot of open water swimming, and decided to get a Sporti brand rescue can, but the harness strap that you throw around your neck and shoulder is rubbing my skin raw to the point that it is bleeding! I called the manufacturer,but they have no solution. I've tried getting safety pins, and pinning some pieces of foam padding, but it doesn't help. I guess I can try tying the strap around my ankle, but I shouldn't have to do it that way. also, the rope stays directly behind me , and gets caught on my feet when I'm kicking. I'm doing between 1.5-3 mile swims, so I need to solve this soon. Can any OWS swimmers help me out ?? I am kind of a newby at this, so I'm at your mercy !

2013-07-28 4:02 PM
in reply to: icemachineman

User image

Expert
, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: rescue can strap rubbing skin raw on open wtr swims
I use the Safer Swimmer device from ISHOF and strap the thing around my waist. Could you do the same, strap it around your hips/waist over your jammers/swim trunks? The can should then be floating in your wake, I imagine...
2013-07-28 4:08 PM
in reply to: GreenMtnLabbit

User image

Expert
, New Hampshire
2013-07-28 4:40 PM
in reply to: GreenMtnLabbit

New user

I've seen these before, and while it looks like it would be fine, I would rather have something that I don't have to worry about ever forming a leak. plus, I'm guessing the rope still stays behind you, possibly tangling in your feet ? even if you tie it on your waist, I'm guessing it will do the same ? I guess I can try the waist, but I'm just frustrated because I see most people ,like lifeguards wear it around their neck and shoulder,and that's where I would like to wear mine. I guess lifeguards don't typically do 1.5-3 mile swims either.
2013-07-28 5:07 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
, New Hampshire
Yeah, lifeguards aren't out to swim long distances on a regular basis. Chafing, ow, especially in salt water.

There is a strap that goes behind me but it and the device ride in the wake and the float is somewhere around the back of my knees. The strap is adjustable in length, so I never feel it on my feet. Have used it quite often and have never had a leak.

Is your strap adjustable so it can float by the back of your knees? A rescue can is designed for it to hold a person being rescued so yeah, I imagine it's long and gets tangled in your feet without someone hanging on and creating tension. If it's not adjustable, an easy fix is to tie it off shorter.

Edited by GreenMtnLabbit 2013-07-28 5:09 PM
2013-07-28 6:21 PM

User image

Master
Midlothian, VA
Make a neoprene sleeve for it?

2013-07-28 7:54 PM

New user
Boulder, CO
Have you tried a surfer's rash guard? They are made to protect your stomach from the wax and sand on top of a surf board. One should be able to handle a strap.

Edited by Lurch 2013-07-28 7:55 PM
2013-07-29 12:11 AM
in reply to: faded_memories

New user

that's the name of the foam stuff I described in my original posting. I bought a few neoprene rifle slings, and cut them to size, but it doesn't seem to help.I guess I have to let the chafed skin heal up before trying to use it again.I'm figuring that SOME manufacturer out there SOMEWHERE makes a rescue can with a Neoprene strap already that I can just purchase ,so I don't have to Jimmy-rig this one !
2013-07-29 12:13 AM
in reply to: Lurch

New user

no, I 've never heard of such a thing. can you post a link of where I can learn more about buying one ?
2013-07-30 9:42 AM

User image

Veteran
, Nova Scotia
X2 on the SaferSwimmer.

The straps don't chafe, even without a wetsuit. It floats just above my thighs, so I never feel it. SWMBO likes it, because she can spot me from the beach for the entire swim.

Highly recommended.
2013-07-30 10:02 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by icemachineman

I've seen these before, and while it looks like it would be fine, I would rather have something that I don't have to worry about ever forming a leak. plus, I'm guessing the rope still stays behind you, possibly tangling in your feet ? even if you tie it on your waist, I'm guessing it will do the same ? I guess I can try the waist, but I'm just frustrated because I see most people ,like lifeguards wear it around their neck and shoulder,and that's where I would like to wear mine. I guess lifeguards don't typically do 1.5-3 mile swims either.

I know lots of people who use the ISHOF swim safe device and none of them complain of it tangling in their feet. If you really want to use the rescue can, rig it up like the ISHOF device to attach around your waist so it drags behind you. No one does distance swimming with one of these things over their shoulder. You shouldn't either. That is not its intended purpose and I suspect you will never get it to not chafe you if used this way. You answered your own question. Lifeguards may wear it around their neck/shoulder but they are never going to do an endurance swim with it this way. They would probably look at you like you have two heads if you suggested it.

Sorry. Hope that wasn't too harsh.

2013-07-30 3:17 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
I have the Safer Swimmer buoy sold/made by Kiefer. I've never had an issue with it getting tangled in my feet/legs. In fact, once I start swimming, I never even know it's there. Plus, it's a nice place to keep your car keys. I put my Garmin 410 inside, too, since it's not waterproof. A ton of people in my tri club use them with nary a problem.
2013-07-30 4:29 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I swim in a small lake and have been swimming with my 7 year old son in a small inflatable raft.  He also wears a life jacket.  That way I get my workout in without having to get a babysitter.  I just have it tied to my ankle with light rope about 15 feet long.  It is easier to have him a little ways back.  I do not kick a lot so the rope does not bother me at all and he produces very little drag.

Though the other night I was sprinting the last 100 yards to shore and my wife who was also swimming decided to grab onto the raft.  It just about tore my leg out of the socket.  Picture the junkyard dog running and getting swapped back when he reaches the end of his chain.

Here is a picture of a raft similar to what we are using.  It's actually pretty fun towing him around.  I feel a little like Jack Lalane.

Edited by popsracer 2013-07-30 4:31 PM

(raft.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
raft.jpg (15KB - 23 downloads)
2013-07-30 4:44 PM
in reply to: dipboss

Originally posted by dipboss

X2 on the SaferSwimmer.

The straps don't chafe, even without a wetsuit. It floats just above my thighs, so I never feel it. SWMBO likes it, because she can spot me from the beach for the entire swim.

Highly recommended.
[/QUOTE

x3]
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » rescue can strap rubbing skin raw on open wtr swims Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Heroic rescue by female bicyclist & open water swimmer

Started by peggyswims
Views: 1458 Posts: 9

2011-01-06 10:09 AM dreaming80

shoe question (blisters/rubbing raw)

Started by Ted Trendy
Views: 845 Posts: 5

2010-02-18 12:51 PM Ted Trendy

Swim ? - Chin rubbing shoulder

Started by CarolinaLaw
Views: 3310 Posts: 15

2007-08-15 3:31 PM mdg2003

HR strap leaving a mark on your skin?

Started by cobannero
Views: 1013 Posts: 9

2007-01-11 3:42 AM crusevegas

Loving the AquaVitae BT Skin - Click 'Skins', then Click 'Try It"

Started by iTRI
Views: 724 Posts: 1

2005-02-11 8:23 AM iTRI
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : August 12, 2010
author : 10Kswim.com
comments : 2
Learn what the world's best open water swimmers look for, think about and do during a world-class open water swim and it's implications for triathletes looking to improve the swim leg of their race.

date : October 29, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
Triathlon swim training discussions on the pull, open water swimming all year, winter swim focus, bilateral breathing during a race and Ironman swim training in 6 weeks.
date : July 8, 2008
author : ggwellness
comments : 11
Confessions of an open water chicken. I'm OK when the water is clear and the creatures are visible; it's just when I can't see them that the panic sets in.

date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.
date : July 3, 2006
author : TriDoc5280
comments : 1
There are other risks that may not be perceived because of their long term nature. This article deals with one of those, the risk of developing skin cancer.

date : June 6, 2006
author : marmadaddy
The DVD assumes little-to-no experience with competitive swimming and starts off in the pool citing the need to build confidence in a controlled environment.