General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trainers Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 1

2013-07-28 5:56 PM

Subject: Trainers
Hello my fit friends,

Does anybody have any suggestions for some cycling trainers? Preferably in the $200-300ish range? I constantly check nashbar and there are always solid deals there, but just trying to get some more input before I invest in one.

2013-07-28 5:57 PM
in reply to: jj2456

Subject: RE: Trainers
So far I'm leaning toward Mag over Fluid...
2013-07-28 7:43 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
i'd search around for a kurt kinetic road maching (fluid trainer). you can definitely find them in your price range if you check ebay and maybe even your local craigslist if you want to go the used route, which a lot of people do.
2013-07-28 9:06 PM

User image

New user

Kurt Kinetic - the fluid resistance unit is completely sealed - no leaks like the cheaper units and if you are an REI member you can pick one up at their fall 20% off sale in your price range.
2013-07-28 9:11 PM
in reply to: DJBurton65

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Another vote for KK Road Machine.  Love it.  Haven't had to use their customer service, but I hear it's awesome.  On sale, you should be able to get one just under $300. 

May have a few other expenditures with the trainer--mat, stand, thong (bike thong now--though a towel works), possibly a trainer tire (depends on if you're putting your tri bike on and off or using a different bike on the trainer, or if you have different wheels, etc.) The only things that I feel are really necessary are a mat and a stand. YEMV.

2013-07-28 9:23 PM

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Originally posted by DJBurton65

Kurt Kinetic - the fluid resistance unit is completely sealed - no leaks like the cheaper units and if you are an REI member you can pick one up at their fall 20% off sale in your price range.

This is exactly what I did. I love the KK, and use it for 98% of my riding. Now that my wife has started riding more, I may need to get a second. The KK also has a very reliable resistance curve, which makes it effective for use as a pseudo-powermeter.

As for additional stuff, the front wheel stand can be faked (though I bought the KK one, and like it). I use a beach towel on the floor, and Saran wrap on the top tube in place of a bike thong. The main additional thing that you'll need is industrial strength fans. On a hard ride in the summer on my porch I have (i) window AC unit on full blast, (ii) ceiling fans on full power, (iii) big Air King fan blowing in my face, and (iv) smaller Vornado fan blowing from the side ... and I still get drenched in sweat. Without the fans, it's pretty much hopeless.

2013-07-28 9:37 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
We have a KK and a Cyclops.....both fluid.  I'm 6'2" and about 190 and my kids are smaller.  I like the KK and they like the Cyclops. My son swears that the KK slips.....he's full of crap.  I think the KK feels more sturdy, my son says I'm full of crap.  Both have held up well with a pretty good amount of use.  I'd recommend either one.

Edited by Left Brain 2013-07-28 9:38 PM
2013-07-29 1:52 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Yet another vote for the KK Road Machine.  The single best training investment I've ever made.  Ditto on Colin's comment about fans. 
2013-07-29 2:52 PM
in reply to: colinphillips

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by colinphillips
Originally posted by DJBurton65 Kurt Kinetic - the fluid resistance unit is completely sealed - no leaks like the cheaper units and if you are an REI member you can pick one up at their fall 20% off sale in your price range.
This is exactly what I did. I love the KK, and use it for 98% of my riding. Now that my wife has started riding more, I may need to get a second. The KK also has a very reliable resistance curve, which makes it effective for use as a pseudo-powermeter. As for additional stuff, the front wheel stand can be faked (though I bought the KK one, and like it). I use a beach towel on the floor, and Saran wrap on the top tube in place of a bike thong. The main additional thing that you'll need is industrial strength fans. On a hard ride in the summer on my porch I have (i) window AC unit on full blast, (ii) ceiling fans on full power, (iii) big Air King fan blowing in my face, and (iv) smaller Vornado fan blowing from the side ... and I still get drenched in sweat. Without the fans, it's pretty much hopeless.

Squishy bike shoes are the worst! Laughing

OP, another vote for a KK road trainer (fluid).  I got mine several years ago used (lightly used) on Craigslist for $250 with the front tire block and the KK speedo/power computer.  I recently had an issue with the tensioner bolt & knob (older style was susceptible to stripping) and I emailed them and they sent me a new one free.

2013-07-29 4:06 PM

User image

Pro

the KK road Machine and the Cyclops Fluid2 are always the ones that come up when this question is asked.  there are other solid unit out there as well.  I find the stand with the new Cyclops' much nicer than the KK, but I went with the KK Road machine for one simple reason.  It's been well tested to have a predictable power curve for use with

TrainerRoad.com.  

Which is the best $10/mo you'll ever spend in cycling.

2013-07-29 4:20 PM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC
I just recently bought the Nashbar Fluid Trainer.  It is a solid unit.  I have put a good number of miles on it and it runs very smooth.  Quiet, smooth resistance.  Solid construction and great price.  It is also linked with trainerroad.com if you decided to go that route as well. 

2013-07-29 4:27 PM
in reply to: TriGuy05

User image

Scottsdale, AZ
I use the KK road trainer and love it. Doing probably 90% of my IMAZ bike training on it. Only venture outside for my weekly long ride.
2013-07-29 4:34 PM

User image

Saint Paul, MN
Another happy KK Road Machine user.
2013-07-29 4:56 PM

User image

Oh in case no one's mentioned it, take a look at a Kurt Kinetic

Another along the same lines is a CycleOps Fluid2

2013-07-29 10:54 PM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by DanielG Oh in case no one's mentioned it, take a look at a Kurt Kinetic Another along the same lines is a CycleOps Fluid2

x whatever we are up to.  I'd go with whichever I could get the best deal on. 

2013-07-30 7:13 AM
in reply to: popsracer

Master
Memphis, TN
I bought a CycleOps Jet Fluid Pro and I love it. It's easy to set up and seems solid. I use mine in conjunction with trainnerroad.com and the "virtual" power method with ANT+ devices. Good, tough workouts.

2013-07-30 8:17 AM
in reply to: Jtiger

User image

Milwaukee
Just adding on to the "pro-cyclops".

I have one of the fluid2 trainers.

I had some issues with it leaking the "fluid" from it. I called the company and without having to produce receipts or proof of when I bought it or anything... they just told me to box up the resistance unit and mail it to them. They sent me back a completely new resistance unit. The whole turn around took less than a week.

I'm still amazed how good they were about it.
2013-07-30 8:31 AM

User image

Regular
Maynard, MA
I have a Kurt Kinetic road machine and love it. Would highly recommend.
2013-07-30 8:56 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Atlanta, Georgia
Originally posted by Left Brain
My son swears that the KK slips.....he's full of crap.  I think the KK feels more sturdy, my son says I'm full of crap.

Your son sounds like a chip off the old block!
2013-07-30 12:12 PM

User image

Phoenix AZ
KK Road Machine
2013-07-30 12:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado

I picked up the Kurt Kinetic at the Spring REI Sale. The difference between the KK and my 25 year old wind trainer is amazing. The KK is very smooth and it will easily interface with Trainer Road when I started doing most of my riding indoors later in the year.

2013-07-30 1:42 PM
in reply to: kskonkol

User image

Veteran
Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally posted by kskonkol

Just adding on to the "pro-cyclops".

I have one of the fluid2 trainers.

I had some issues with it leaking the "fluid" from it. I called the company and without having to produce receipts or proof of when I bought it or anything... they just told me to box up the resistance unit and mail it to them. They sent me back a completely new resistance unit. The whole turn around took less than a week.

I'm still amazed how good they were about it.

I had a bit of fluid leak from mine as well. They were great to deal with however since I'm north of the border, my LBS had to do the exchange, which was pretty quick and totally free. I like the Fluid 2, but if I had my time back I may have gone with the KK. Just my $0.02.

2013-07-30 1:46 PM
in reply to: TriGuy05

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Originally posted by TriGuy05

I just recently bought the Nashbar Fluid Trainer.  It is a solid unit.  I have put a good number of miles on it and it runs very smooth.  Quiet, smooth resistance.  Solid construction and great price.  It is also linked with trainerroad.com if you decided to go that route as well. 

I'll second that unit. Lot less expensive too for those worried about $$. Came with the bike thong, front wheel stand and maybe a water bottle? I forget, but I've used it with TrainerRoad for the last 8 months and never had an issue.
2013-07-30 7:55 PM
in reply to: colinphillips

User image

Veteran
Massachusetts

This is exactly what I did. I love the KK, and use it for 98% of my riding. Now that my wife has started riding more, I may need to get a second. The KK also has a very reliable resistance curve, which makes it effective for use as a pseudo-powermeter.

As for additional stuff, the front wheel stand can be faked (though I bought the KK one, and like it). I use a beach towel on the floor, and Saran wrap on the top tube in place of a bike thong. The main additional thing that you'll need is industrial strength fans. On a hard ride in the summer on my porch I have (i) window AC unit on full blast, (ii) ceiling fans on full power, (iii) big Air King fan blowing in my face, and (iv) smaller Vornado fan blowing from the side ... and I still get drenched in sweat. Without the fans, it's pretty much hopeless.

Haha...I thought I was the only one who does this. I rusted the contacts on the back of my cateye computer so now I saran wrap my whole headset.
2013-07-30 9:29 PM
in reply to: gobey007

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Originally posted by gobey007

Haha...I thought I was the only one who does this. I rusted the contacts on the back of my cateye computer so now I saran wrap my whole headset.

in the long term i'd image the bike thong would be cheaper base on material cost and time spent wrapping/unwrapping.

if OP hasn't figured it out yet... he is going to be flogged by the BT community if he gets anything other than a KK road machine haha
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trainers Rss Feed  

of 1

RELATED POSTS

Trainer Road on an Unsupported Trainer

Started by guitarfrk75
Views: 1511 Posts: 6

2013-02-21 10:34 AM reidweber

Cheap Trainer, Loud Trainer Regrets? Pages: 1 2

Started by Lora109
Views: 5292 Posts: 46

2009-11-03 8:17 AM TerryW

Fluid trainer or mag trainer?

Started by chevy57
Views: 2174 Posts: 11

2009-10-08 11:02 AM mmrocker13

Recumbent bike trainer vs actual bike on roller/trainer?

Started by Queequeg9800
Views: 1279 Posts: 2

2008-11-17 11:49 AM BeginnerMan

Logging trainer miles - using Bike Trainer section

Started by tri42
Views: 1693 Posts: 14

2007-12-27 6:45 AM saling4
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 25, 2012
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
This article will discuss the differences between TrainerRoad and PowerTap's power numbers and how to best use each of them.

date : November 28, 2011
author : juliapurr
Bored out of your mind or watching a movie? Amp it up on the bike trainer.
date : November 5, 2010
author : FitWerx
Do you struggle to hold your power output indoors versus outdoors? The keys to this problem are due to lack of cooling and the flywheel effect.

date : February 4, 2009
author : mikericci
Here are our most popular questions for training during the off season. Everything from treadmills to heart rate monitors to core strength.
date : January 3, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 3
We review the Halo Swim Trainer and how it can help the 'high elbow catch' part of your swim stroke along with your swimming tempo.

date : December 28, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 1
Tired of your bike trainer already? Here are two indoor bike trainer workouts that you can use to keep things interesting while keeping your cycling fitness up.
date : December 3, 2008
author : dexter
comments : 15
What are rollers? How can rollers help your bike training? Learn how to use your first set of rollers without doing too much bodily harm to yourself.

date : September 1, 2004
author : TriSports.com
As the Holiday season approaches and temperatures steadily drop, triathletes become faced with a difficult decision, to ride or not to ride.