United States
Korff Enterprises Sports Marketing & Event Management
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 13m 25s
Overall Rank = 2331/
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 124/237
Pre-race routine:

This year, A and E didn't come in for the race, but the sister-in-law did as did the brother and the niece and nephew. This ultimately led to a somewhat hectic day-and-a-half before the race, but also lots of fun. Pizza friday night, check-in saturday morning and then a little running around with the kids. We started riding bikes over to transition, but brother's bike needed a new cable so we had to split up SIL and I went to transition together and I made sure she knew her way around. Ate healthy and big lunch, back home with a new air conditioner for the 2nd bedroom, and a light dinner of tuna tartare and salad.

Prepped a pb&j sandwich (no bagel) and cold-brewed coffee. Slept at home with the alarm set. After checking transition bag four times, actually got a few hours of sleep starting about 9:00-11:30, and then more from 12:30 to about 2:30. Up and out the door at 3:45, catching a gypsy cab to transition. Slugged down coffee and ate the sandwich and a banana. Set up transition. I should have brought an extra water-bottle.
Event warmup:

Typical walk up to swim start with the brother and SIL. Ate GU chomps, telaxed up there for a while, then wetsuit on, learning a new trick putting my foot in a plastic bag to help slide the suit on. Put on my 910 for my first race with it, waited in the corrals, and off to the start!
Swim
  • 22m 19s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 29s / 100 meters
Comments:

My swim was fine if nothing spectacular. Stopped to do breastroke more than I wanted to, and I could tell that I hadn't swam too much because my triceps started acheing a little ways in. Drafted a little bit, but generally ended up pretty much on my own. Also, my hair was caught in my wetsuit, and that rubbed quite a bit.
What would you do differently?:

Train the swim, do less breastsroke, adjust my wetsuit better.
Transition 1
  • 08m 2s
Comments:

I managed to run the whole way out of the swim to transition, which I was happy about. I could have been more focused getting shoes on and getting my helmet on, but overall not too bad.

think through the transition a little more, ring water to wash my feet off.
Bike
  • 1h 34m 15s
  • 40 kms
  • 25.38 km/hr
Comments:

Since I hadn't really trained, my goal was to rock the bike. The first technical turn out of the bike I knew I felt good. I was passing more people than passed me, and keeping good time up the hills. On a few of them, I got blocked in behind some people and ended up getting into a comfortable pace, but one that was slower than what I was capable of. I should have moved around them and pushed up the hill. For the first time, the hills felt not too hard - constant, but doable. Half a GU on the way back over the bridge, but that was about it for nutrition.

Push more on the uphills, be more aggressive passing people.
Transition 2
  • 02m 2s
Comments:

Nothing spectacular here, nothing terrible.
Run
  • 1h 06m 50s
  • 10 kms
  • 06m 37s  min/km
Comments:

I knew this was going to be tough, and my goal was just to get through it. I was incredibly relaxed throughout the whole run, in part because I had no goal except the finish line. I started running, and my legs felt heavy but OK. Managed the run up the first hill, and was going slow, but running the whole way. Around 72nd, saw the whole family and gave the little niece a hug, which was a great motivator. And then I just kept running. I walked the aide stations, but other than that just kept running as much as fast as my untrained legs would let me. Managed around 10:45s until the northern hills, then more like 11:30s, but still kept running. It started getting hot at mile 4, so I started pouring water over my head. Not the best plan, because then I was really wet and chaffed more. Around mile 5, SIL passed me, which was actually pretty cool. Got to the end, and even managed to remember to close my mouth for a few pictures!

Train? But given how untrained I was for the run, I really enjoyed the whole thing.
Post race
Warm down:

Was actually able to eat a bagel afterwards, then over to the tent for some food and ice cream. Walked back to transition, and biked home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mostly a lack of training on the run.

Last updated: 2013-07-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:19 | 1500 meters | 01m 29s / 100meters
Age Group: 105/237
Overall: 2316/
Performance: Average
Suit: Wetsuit
Course: Point-to-Point
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 08:02
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:34:15 | 40 kms | 25.38 km/hr
Age Group: 90/237
Overall: 2458/
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:02
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:06:50 | 10 kms | 06m 37s  min/km
Age Group: 165/237
Overall: 0/
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-07-28 6:39 PM

Regular
Subject: New York City Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » New York City Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

New York City Triathlon

Started by afield
Views: 1957 Posts: 1

2007-07-22 4:25 PM afield

New York City Triathlon

Started by fenway
Views: 2084 Posts: 5

2006-07-19 11:59 AM rollinsw

New York City Triathlon

Started by cobannero
Views: 1128 Posts: 9

2006-07-20 8:40 PM ropkins

Ford New York City Triathlon

Started by Kauh
Views: 1818 Posts: 1

2005-12-07 9:36 AM Kauh

Ford New York City Triathlon

Started by oipolloi
Views: 2345 Posts: 4

2006-01-16 9:31 AM ropkins
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 31, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
For most people, there is a story in how they came to the sport as beginners. Some of the most inspiring of those beginner tales begin with health scares.

date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.
date : December 27, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 5
Are you a new swimmer starting your triathlon training? Here are some top answers to member questions as you begin your triathlon swim training.

date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.
date : July 31, 2006
author : Ontherun
This is NOT a diet book, but a weightloss book that has helped me change how I see food and the choices I make when I eat.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
My expectations for the quality of this years’ Triathlon world championship were fulfilled. This was because of the superb location that is like no other along with having the top triathletes present.
date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
There is a marvelous destiny out there waiting for you too, but only if you are willing to take chances and put yourself on the line.

date : August 31, 2004
GILFORD, New Hampshire (August 23, 2004) – After thunderous, heavy rains on Saturday challenged sprint triathletes to middle-distance-like efforts, Sunday’s middle-distance Timberman Triathlon (1.9 km