General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Age Group Nationals---anyone else? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2013-11-12 1:25 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Age Group Nationals---anyone else?
They even invited a bunch of Canadians

I got an email that since I finished top 10% at Miami 70.3.....
But there were 3000 people at Miami 70.3. Did they invite 300 from that race alone ?
How many people do they invite ?

Edited by marcag 2013-11-12 1:27 PM

2013-11-12 1:47 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Melbourne, Florida

Originally posted by marcag They even invited a bunch of Canadians I got an email that since I finished top 10% at Miami 70.3..... But there were 3000 people at Miami 70.3. Did they invite 300 from that race alone ? How many people do they invite ?

This is a fair question. Is it 10% OA or per age group either way 300 people divided by 13 age groups is only 23 per AG.

I finished 1st OA in a small local sprint tri. Most people that qualified in events like mine won't dish out the registration money, travel expenses, and time for an Olympic distance race. So the number of races that qualify vs those that race are in the lower percentages. The qualification is just there to ensure that the racing quality is more of the FOPers (even those that are closer to a leading MOPer) rather than your typical BOPers. Either way, there will be a whole lot of people racing.

2013-11-25 8:30 PM
in reply to: ColoradoRunner01

User image

Greenville, South Carolina
I qualified too (by being 1st in AG in a very small local race)… not sure yet about going. On the one hand, as lots of people have mentioned, who knows if/when I'll qualify again? But on the other hand, I also qualified for ITU Worlds in long course (total luck of living near Rev3 Anderson), which is in China Sept 21, so both is a lot of travel, plus they're only ~6 weeks apart. I've done Olympics spaced ~ 1 month apart, but I'm not sure with the longer distance.
2013-11-25 9:08 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

With AG worlds for sprint and Oly being in Chicago in 2015 I expect that the races next year in Milwaukee will be smokers.  Milwaukee was a great venue and a great time in August......next year it's going to really be fun, and fast!!

Edited by Left Brain 2013-11-25 9:08 PM
2013-11-26 9:44 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
Chicago
Originally posted by Left Brain

With AG worlds for sprint and Oly being in Chicago in 2015 I expect that the races next year in Milwaukee will be smokers.  Milwaukee was a great venue and a great time in August......next year it's going to really be fun, and fast!!

Until I arrive, that'll slow things down a bit.
2013-11-26 9:58 AM
in reply to: mr2tony

User image

Pro

Originally posted by mr2tony

Are you doing the sprint again?

2013-11-26 10:06 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
Chicago

Yeah probably. I should be faster, though, as I'll be coming off of ironman training for most of the summer. I reckon a sprint after the long race will be a good way to stay motivated to train.
2013-11-26 10:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Yeah probably. I should be faster, though, as I'll be coming off of ironman training for most of the summer. I reckon a sprint after the long race will be a good way to stay motivated to train.

Nice, when is your Ironman?

I'll be there again too! But not in your son's wave this year LB, movin up to the older boys.

2013-11-26 10:16 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Champion
Chicago
Originally posted by dmiller5

I'll be there again too! But not in your son's wave this year LB, movin up to the older boys.

June 29. I'm glad I'm not in LB's son's wave -- that kid is BLAZIN FAST!
2013-11-26 10:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

You are a brave man to try and race 5 weeks after an IM.

2013-11-26 10:22 AM

User image

Pro

He's racing Oly this time....he'll be race age 18 for Chicago and wants to race the really fast guys.

2013-11-26 10:27 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago

You are a brave man to try and race 5 weeks after an IM.

Well if I'm trained well enough I reckon it won't hurt too bad. I never really `race' these things -- I just go out and have fun. Though I may actually try to go for a PR at the IM, and I am racing Crowny in Milwaukee. So who knows, maybe it'll hurt way more than I think.
2013-11-26 3:38 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Keep in mind that you do not need to "qualify" for the sprint race. Just the olympic. If you feel the olympic may be too much then do the sprint. The race will sell out quicker this year since it will be the qualifier for Chicago 2015. Field will also be strong in both events.

I did both the olympic and the sprint last year. Didn't run into any D-bags. All the guys around me in transition both days were chatty and nice. Swim was congested at times. Bike course on the oly has a hill around the 3-4 mile point and 2 crossings of the bridge. Sprint bike has all the hills of the oly course so don't expect to necessarily have a faster mph on the sprint bike. Run course is flat on both. Check my race log for reports on the sprint and olympic races/courses.

Last year I stayed at  a Hampton Inn out near the airport. Cheaper and an easy 15 minute ride to the race site.

I first did AG nats a few years ago when it was in Tuscaloosa, AL. It was my first full year of doing triathlons, I had qualified for the olympic race and figured since it was only 3.5 hours away...what the hell.  I almost quit 50 yards into the swim. Just couldn't get my HR down and rhythm going. Told myself I had to make it to the first buoy and then I could quit....knew the wife would be pi$$ed if I went all the way up there and bailed. Well, things calmed down and I made it through. I was mid to back of pack in swim, bike and run ultimately finishing in 2:38. It was an eye opener with the quality of athletes, feel of the race and the overall experience. Fast forward to Milwaukee last year. Even bigger, better field with a great big/high profile race feel. Sure there were some super fast folks there but lots of folks there to enjoy the experience and race their best....regardless of finish. One of the most enjoyable things was watching some of the older (60+) racers out there enjoying the day while being crazy fast.  Not sure racing back to back days is good for an old man like me but I had a blast finishing 2:15 in the olympic and 1:10 in the sprint....snagging a qualification for Worlds next Summer in the Sprint. 

So, what I'm getting at it is to do the race if you want to qualify for Worlds or if you just want to have fun in a great setting. Most events are what you make of them. Milwaukee was a great setting and USAT did a top notch job putting on the race.  I've signed up for both races again this year but will likely race just one to give myself the best chance to qualify for Chicago.  At a minimum you will get a cool t-shirt you can wear to impress your friends    

2013-11-27 1:46 PM
in reply to: slornow

User image

I qualified for the Olympic but due to some medical issues early in the year I did not really get to start training until June so I switched my entry to the Sprint. We had an amazing time in Milwaukee and I have already made reservations for 2014.

I tell everyone that if you get the opportunity to go then make every effort to go because it is a great weekend! USA Triathlon does a wonderful job and we (athletes) were treated like royalty. I can't wait to go back with some training in the tank!!!

Patti
2013-11-27 1:58 PM
in reply to: pugpenny

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
It's on my "maybe" list for now. I did Hy-Vee 5150 this year so if it's anything like that atmosphere it's a sure fire good time. I say we arrange a BT social the night or two before.
2013-11-27 2:20 PM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Pro

Originally posted by reecealan It's on my "maybe" list for now. I did Hy-Vee 5150 this year so if it's anything like that atmosphere it's a sure fire good time. I say we arrange a BT social the night or two before.

I was at both.....I think AG naitonals was a much better atmosphere than Hy-Vee, but it's always fun to watch the pros race so Hy-vee is still a pretty cool race.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Age Group Nationals---anyone else? Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

Anyone qualifier for age group nationals?

Started by mdiet22
Views: 685 Posts: 2

2011-09-08 7:38 PM 5stones

USAT Age Group Nationals

Started by grit_nugget
Views: 1396 Posts: 10

2007-08-06 10:58 PM MForger18

2007 USAT age group nationals?

Started by xterratri
Views: 1366 Posts: 5

2006-11-09 5:20 PM markdills38

age group nationals results?

Started by anna banana
Views: 1077 Posts: 4

2006-07-09 8:06 PM Manatee Express

Qualifying for age-group nationals

Started by shadowfax
Views: 1421 Posts: 14

2006-05-17 5:27 AM sappho96
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 18, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
BT amateurs compete in San Diego race on the world stage.

date : September 16, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
Part Two: On Appreciation and Acceptance. At some point your body will let you down. Then you have to decide whether it is really the enemy.
date : August 19, 2011
comments : 1
Part One: On Speed, Desire and Age. There are some advantages to running slowly. Now, give me a minute here and I'll try to think of one.

date : April 14, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
A disappointing start to the season need not set the tone.
date : March 10, 2011
comments : 1
Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete

date : August 17, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
37-year-old Bill Fults is an age-group triathlete. But by day he's an Air Flight Paramedic. He also spent the better part of a decade as an Army Ranger.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
The start of the race I had the jitters. I was watching the other age groups start as they seeded the swim with over 1000 participants.