General Discussion Race Reports! » Wauconda Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Wauconda Triathlon - Olympic Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Wauconda, Illinois
United States
Wauconda Park District
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 36m 47s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 3:45 and had the usual, a bagel with peanut butter and a banana. Prepared my Powerbar Perform sports drinks and water bottles for the bike. Unfortunately, my day started off bad when I discovered that the zipper on my Zoot tri suit was broken. Thankfully it was going to be a cold day (only 53 degrees expected as the high by the time the race was over), so I was able to throw on a long sleeve Brooks jacket to hide the broken zipper. I usually bring a spare tri suit, but of course this time, I didn't. Lesson learned!
Event warmup:

Stretched for bit.
Swim
  • 48m 34s
  • 1760 yards
  • 02m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

Bangs Lake is filled with seaweed, so I was grabbed at and got caught on many plants. The lake is extremely calm however. The sighting out to the turn buoy was poor, I had the sun in my eyes the entire time. I stayed slow and steady and breathed well the entire time.
What would you do differently?:

These slow swims are really starting to mess with me. I need to start pushing myself to swim faster.
Transition 1
  • 04m 44s
Comments:

Another less than stellar T1. I should be getting better at these things. There is an approximate 50 foot run included in the T1 time. My suit got stuck on my timing strap and I struggled to get it off. Everything else went well though.

Gotta move faster here! I've said it a million times, but seriously, I'm not joking.
Bike
  • 1h 47m 26s
  • 28.6 miles
  • 15.92 mile/hr
Comments:

Quite possibly my worst bike ever. I'm blaming on the fact that I just did the Racine 70.3 a week ago and my body is still in recovery mode (at least that's what I'm telling myself). It was soo cold, about 52 degrees, and I was not prepared to push myself while being freezing cold. The hills on this course were horrid and despite some 25 mph downhills and 19 mph straightaways, the hills dropped my average immensely. The highlight of my bike was that I saw my boyfriend at the end of my first loop. He was doing the sprint and just finishing the bike portion. This was his first tri and I was so happy to see him pass my slow butt. My nutrition and water & sports drink intake was good. I've practiced it alot.

Push harder and trust that my legs will be just fine for the run. There is no way I should ever bike under 18 mph.
Transition 2
  • 01m 53s
Comments:

Clearly today was not my day. I am usually closer to 1 minute transitions, but today things went awry. First off, I came back to my rack to find that people had racked their bikes in my spot. So, I had to rack my bike in a completely different rack and probably pissed someone off in the process. Also, these bikes that were in my spot (despite the spots being labeled with our names & bib #s) were completely hindering my ability to access any of my gear. I literally had to slide bikes over to get to my running shoes and my bib belt. How can people be so rude! This really ticked me off!

Nothing I could really do here, except maybe not get so mad when things don't go my way.
Run
  • 54m 13s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 51s  min/mile
Comments:

This course was VERY hilly! I mean, there were at least 10 hills on this course. 3 of those 10 were INSANE and the others were more of a nuisance. So, be prepared to be running on your toes ALOT. I stopped only at the aid stations and got good encouragement from the volunteers. I passed many people on the run. I continue to surprise myself on my runs. I feel very strong and confident and have no problem pushing my pace. I thank my extensive brick training for this.

Nothing really.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around. Ate breakfast (pancakes, sausages, bananas, bagels), courtesy of the race organizers.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I really think that since I just did a half iron a week ago, my body was still in recovery mode and I didn't push myself as I usually do.

Event comments:

This is my second time doing this race. This is a smaller race, but I love the camaraderie of all the participants and volunteers. The course is moderately challenging and I love that. The race organizers really do a great job. I loved the breakfast waiting for me as I crossed the finish line. The post race activities consisted of raffles, in which I won a $25 Pearl Izumi gift certificate. Awesome, right?

Last updated: 2013-07-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:48:34 | 1760 yards | 02m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: Zoot
Course: Beach start. East for about a half a mile, then sharp turn to the transition beach. The transition area was about half a mile from the swim start. So the swim began and ended on two different beaches.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:44
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:47:26 | 28.6 miles | 15.92 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind: Strong
Course: This was a double loop course on mixed terrain. Some big hills, some flats, some down hills, a little of everything.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:53
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:54:13 | 06.2 miles | 08m 51s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back. Many hills. Through Wauconda neighborhoods.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2013-07-28 8:48 PM

User image

New user

Chicago
Subject: Wauconda Triathlon - Olympic Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wauconda Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Wauconda Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by duder5189
Views: 887 Posts: 1

2012-07-23 10:35 AM duder5189

Wauconda Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by Bevie
Views: 1247 Posts: 4

2012-07-22 7:51 PM brigby1

Wauconda Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by brigby1
Views: 1129 Posts: 1

2012-07-22 12:54 PM brigby1

Wauconda Sprint Triathlon

Started by dibujob
Views: 3244 Posts: 4

2006-08-01 6:38 PM dibujob

Breath of Life Ventura Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by ChrisM
Views: 2171 Posts: 4

2006-07-06 12:24 AM van_paulus
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
Any good race director will go over the triathlon swim course directions many times.

date : September 1, 2004
author : infosteward
Experts agree, doing a “mock,” triathlon on the course you’re racing can aid you in your training; performance and most of all quell some nervous energy.
date : August 30, 2004
A couch to olympic triathlon training program. These programs will take you from a walk/run program, to a sprint, then to an olympic.

date : August 29, 2004
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.