General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What distance do most start bringing an extra tube? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

What distance do most start bringing an extra tube?
OptionResults
I bring an extra tube when I do sprints58 Votes - [26.73%]
I don't bring an extra tube when I do sprints29 Votes - [13.36%]
I bring an extra tube when I do olys41 Votes - [18.89%]
I don't bring an extra tube when I do olys13 Votes - [5.99%]
I bring an extra tube when I do HIMs45 Votes - [20.74%]
I don't bring an extra tube when I do HIMs2 Votes - [0.92%]
I bring an extra tube when I do IMs28 Votes - [12.9%]
I don't bring an extra tube when I do IMs1 Votes - [0.46%]
This is a multiple choice poll.

2013-07-29 3:21 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Champion
Chicago
Subject: RE: What distance do most start bringing an extra tube?
Originally posted by Jason N

Originally posted by TriMyBest

Originally posted by gsmacleod I always carrying a spare tube when racing; smart placement of a flat kit on your bike will have essentially zero impact on your performance but could save you a 10km walk. Never carry a spare clincher; destroying a tire past the point that you can boot it is exceptionally rare. Instead, I carry a $5 bill in my flat kit to boot my tire if need be. Shane

x2.  There is always at least one on my bike.  I've never been able to understand the rationale behind not carrying one.

x3.  And I think that some people have pretty high expectations of what SAG support is meant to offer them.  The only way I'd expect a ride back to T2 is if my bike was broken beyond repair or if I was injured to the point where I could no longer ride.

Exactly. I'd rather fix my bike and finish DFL than take a DNF because of a flat tire.

2013-07-29 3:54 PM
in reply to: mr2tony

User image

Originally posted by mr2tony
Originally posted by Jason N
Originally posted by TriMyBest

Originally posted by gsmacleod I always carrying a spare tube when racing; smart placement of a flat kit on your bike will have essentially zero impact on your performance but could save you a 10km walk. Never carry a spare clincher; destroying a tire past the point that you can boot it is exceptionally rare. Instead, I carry a $5 bill in my flat kit to boot my tire if need be. Shane

x2.  There is always at least one on my bike.  I've never been able to understand the rationale behind not carrying one.

x3.  And I think that some people have pretty high expectations of what SAG support is meant to offer them.  The only way I'd expect a ride back to T2 is if my bike was broken beyond repair or if I was injured to the point where I could no longer ride.

Exactly. I'd rather fix my bike and finish DFL than take a DNF because of a flat tire.

To me, it's not even about a DNF, finishing DFL, or whatever.  If I felt like taking a DNF because of a flat tire, I'm still going to fix my flat and ride my way back to transition to turn in my chip.  If I was a volunteer SAG driver, and you told me that you were refusing my help to fix your flat and wanted a ride back to T2...I'd simply let you borrow my cell phone and tell you to call someone to pick you up.  I'd feel like my #1 duty as a SAG is to help people who may also be having trouble that still want to finish the race.  So if you still wanted a ride from me, it would be with the understanding that I will only take you back to transition AFTER I have completed my duties as a SAG vehicle...which likely means after the last rider has finished.

So given the choice between fixing my flat and riding my bike back to transition in say...15-30 minutes.  Or riding in the back of someone's car...stinking it up and getting my salty and sweaty clothes all over their car (or riding in the back of a truck)...and taking maybe 30-60 minutes to get back to transition...I'll take the former.

2013-07-29 4:16 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Originally posted by Hot Runner
If I flatted in a sprint I'd be out of the running for AG or overall competition, and probably cramp up from stopping on a ride of that intensity anyway, so I'd just drop out.

How do you rationalize competing in races with a big enough pool that you aren't winning AG awards? I guess I don't get the mindset of judging my race on the other people running it. I just did a personal best on a 10k with 55k people running, needless to say it wasn't for an AG award.

2013-07-29 5:15 PM
in reply to: Guest

User image

Regardless of the ride I always have the following:

1 x tube
2 x levers
2 x CO2
1 x CO2 inflation head

If i'm racing a sprint and get a flat, depending on how it was going i might change it out or i'll limp home disheveled. At the end of the day i'd hate to leave home without the basic tools. If people are thinking about saving weight, unlike the pro's most of us beginners could possibly do with looking closer to home and eat less pizza, donuts, cakes etc the night before believing we are carb loading!!!

2013-07-29 6:49 PM

User image

For those who like statistics, here are the numbers as of 2013-07-29, 7:48 p.m.

Those who carry a spare tube:
Sprint - 63 %
Oly - 79 %
HIM - 94 %
IM - 95 %
2013-07-29 8:39 PM
in reply to: b2run

User image

Regular
Arlington, VA
Like many people, there's always a tube on training rides. I actually take that off for sprints, honestly, if I were to flat on a sprint, I'd just stop my race, it's to short to be worth it too me, since I'm usually trying to find the podium and not particularly good at changing tubes. Or maybe I'd run my bike in, but I'd probably just stop my race.

Oly and up, I'm bringing a tube. I haven't done an IM, but I find it hard to believe I'd bring a tire at any distance.

2013-07-29 11:16 PM
in reply to: chris948

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
It's not a deliberate choice, just the reality given my available races. There isn't the depth, at least for women's fields, in most of the Asian races I do that you see in bigger races in the States, nor do I usually have time to travel to bigger events stateside. If I have a good race, I've always been in the running for the podium, at least for AG, in sprints, and often on it. That really motivates me for the shorter stuff.

For longer races, it's more the challenge of completing the race, or, in the case of my favorite half-marathon, which has no age groups and awards only the top three overall, which I've never cracked despite running it several times, just the experience of the race itself, and helping out several causes that I strongly support. I realize carrying the tube and flat kit for all races (and improving my tube-changing skills) would save some logistical headaches and I probably should, I just haven't.
2013-07-29 11:26 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Regular
Las Vegas, NV
Whenever I'm riding, whether it be training or racing, I always carry two tire levers, one spare tube, two CO2 tubes, and the CO2 tube adapter. I used to carry one CO2 tube until I flatted and it wasn't enough air.
2013-07-30 6:52 AM
in reply to: bzgl40

User image

Veteran
Central VA
Always a spare tube and pump on the bike....ALWAYS.

Race or training day.
2013-07-30 7:04 AM

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
When every im on my bike.. better to have it and not need than need it and not have it.. just my opinion
2013-07-30 10:00 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
I have everything stuffed into a plastic bag squeezed in under the seat so it's always available, racing or training.

eta: The thought of walking my bike or having to wait for SAG would be more demoralizing than the time lost for a simple flat.

Edited by BrianRunsPhilly 2013-07-30 10:14 AM

2013-07-30 10:08 AM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
Originally posted by mehaner

every single time i ride my bicycle, i have an extra tube in the seat bag.  why would you NOT carry one??!

X 2 above. I have winged it on training rides one time too many and will never do it again. If my bike leaves the trainer, I have tire change essentials.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What distance do most start bringing an extra tube? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

What do you carry tools/tube/C02/ hydration for IM distance

Started by DLR1
Views: 1375 Posts: 10

2012-01-24 2:16 PM jackson61802

New tires and tubes or just latex tubes?

Started by natethomas2000
Views: 1508 Posts: 9

2011-08-05 1:19 PM the bear

Latex Inner Tube - worth the extra dollars?

Started by GoFaster
Views: 10085 Posts: 10

2009-04-03 11:53 AM qrkid

Olympic distance - how much liquid do you bring on the bike

Started by meepx2
Views: 1213 Posts: 11

2008-04-24 10:07 PM McFuzz

Seat Tube or Down Tube?

Started by PGoldberger
Views: 3327 Posts: 16

2006-05-13 9:24 PM dexter
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : May 21, 2010
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
If you are a fitness exerciser, you are unlikely to need extra electrolytes to replace those lost in sweat. If you exercise hard for more than four hours in the heat, replacment may be needed.
date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"

date : July 9, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 3
What do you bring to the starting line? What are you going to leave on the course? What will you take with you across the finish line?
date : August 22, 2006
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Vytra TOBAY Triathlon swim start provided by jpcan.

date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
These ladies are impressive. This video will show you what you will have to look forward to at a wave start.
date : February 28, 2005
author : rautorino
Does it matter how fast you go? Does it matter if you win? No. It only matters that you tri your best and smile when you cross the finish line.

date : September 11, 2004
author : econway
comments : 1
The goal of this section is to give others ideas on workouts for specific purposes.