General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Soreness and Muscle Fatigue Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-29 11:18 AM

Atco, NJ
Subject: Soreness and Muscle Fatigue
I've picked up things here and there about it but how does everyone combat soreness and fatigue? I know there is foam rolling, ice, heat, stretching, etc...but what actually works? I have tried a few things but always looking to help with the soreness and especially fatigue as the week rolls on.

2013-07-29 11:25 AM
in reply to: njtiger

User image

Expert
, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: Soreness and Muscle Fatigue
Foam rolling, making sure I don't overdo it on recovery days or taking a complete rest day if I really need it. On long, hot days, I have found drinking a nuun tablet electrolyte thing in my water really helps with combating fatigue and soreness.

In addition to stretching, going for an easy walk for 5 - 10 minutes after a bike ride or run helps loosen me up, or if I'm near my community pool, I'll go for an easy swim. Again, even just 10 minutes of an easy swim works things out a bit.

And, I am biased because I'm an LMT/CMT, but...I get massages. I trade with other therapists, so cost wise, it's doable. If your insurance doesn't cover massage therapy, you can always seek out a student who is looking to fill hours doing an internship or per their school's requirements. I did many a free massage when I was a student to collect those hours!
2013-07-29 11:53 AM

User image

Expert
Brookings South Dakota
Originally posted by njtiger

I've picked up things here and there about it but how does everyone combat soreness and fatigue? I know there is foam rolling, ice, heat, stretching, etc...but what actually works? I have tried a few things but always looking to help with the soreness and especially fatigue as the week rolls on.

Proper pacing of key workouts so they are not too hard, but not too easy, adequate recovery between key workouts, and good nutrition.

Everything else (rolling, ice, heat, stretching, compression) is just fluff.

In my opinion, one should realistically only feel fatigue (that can impact training) after a race. I very rarely do a workout that was so hard that it actually leaves me fatigued. My goal with the 2-3 key workouts I do weekly is to get "just enough" stimulation for adaptation. Training too hard increases your chance of burnout and injury, as well as reducing the amount of training you can do because you need recovery time.
2013-07-29 12:15 PM
in reply to: ipull400watts

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Originally posted by ipull400watts

Proper pacing of key workouts so they are not too hard, but not too easy, adequate recovery between key workouts, and good nutrition.

This. Of course, some soreness and fatigue is inevitable (and desirable) as a part of training. But managing those 'stresses' is what a training plan is all about--and includes all of the elements listed above.
2013-07-29 1:07 PM
in reply to: GreenMtnLabbit

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

Originally posted by GreenMtnLabbit Foam rolling, making sure I don't overdo it on recovery days or taking a complete rest day if I really need it. On long, hot days, I have found drinking a nuun tablet electrolyte thing in my water really helps with combating fatigue and soreness. In addition to stretching, going for an easy walk for 5 - 10 minutes after a bike ride or run helps loosen me up, or if I'm near my community pool, I'll go for an easy swim. Again, even just 10 minutes of an easy swim works things out a bit. And, I am biased because I'm an LMT/CMT, but...I get massages. I trade with other therapists, so cost wise, it's doable. If your insurance doesn't cover massage therapy, you can always seek out a student who is looking to fill hours doing an internship or per their school's requirements. I did many a free massage when I was a student to collect those hours!

OMG- My insurance might cover massage therapy???? Checking policy NOW!!! Smile

2013-07-29 1:16 PM
in reply to: Evergreen

User image

Originally posted by Evergreen

Originally posted by GreenMtnLabbit Foam rolling, making sure I don't overdo it on recovery days or taking a complete rest day if I really need it. On long, hot days, I have found drinking a nuun tablet electrolyte thing in my water really helps with combating fatigue and soreness. In addition to stretching, going for an easy walk for 5 - 10 minutes after a bike ride or run helps loosen me up, or if I'm near my community pool, I'll go for an easy swim. Again, even just 10 minutes of an easy swim works things out a bit. And, I am biased because I'm an LMT/CMT, but...I get massages. I trade with other therapists, so cost wise, it's doable. If your insurance doesn't cover massage therapy, you can always seek out a student who is looking to fill hours doing an internship or per their school's requirements. I did many a free massage when I was a student to collect those hours!

if it doesn't but you have the option of the flex plan - that will with a letter of medical necessity - my chiropractor wrote one for me

2013-07-29 2:22 PM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Originally posted by njtiger

The biggest change I made when training for longer runs (HM) has been to focus on immediate post run nutrition.

I now wont do anything (even my commute ride to work) wihtout immediately having a balanced snack (even a glass of milk) as soon as I arrive.

For run workout this involves annoying my wife buy standing sweaty in the kitchen snarfing a chicken drumstick or cheese trianlges or the kids chocolate milk but it is worth it.

Since I have gone to eating recovery foods (the magic 3:1 or 4:1 carbohydrate-to-protein ratio) within 10-15 miuntes of finishing, my aches and pains have been dramatically reduced.
2013-07-29 7:52 PM

User image

I thought fatigue and and soreness was a normal fact of life now! Ha. I get weekly massage, hydrate, eat enough protein, stretch, ice bath when running more than two hours or doing six hour bricks. In other words, I use all methods of recovery available but feel massage works best. Some soreness during heavy training is to be expected I think. But be on lookout for the first signs of an impending injury. Oh yeah, I also use compression wear after long efforts too.
2013-07-29 9:12 PM
in reply to: Evergreen

User image

Expert
, New Hampshire
Originally posted by Evergreen

I get $500 worth of massage therapy in a year.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Soreness and Muscle Fatigue Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Muscle Soreness from Stretching a Muscle

Started by crea0029
Views: 921 Posts: 4

2012-08-16 9:59 AM crea0029

Muscle Soreness

Started by PSUguru
Views: 879 Posts: 17

2007-08-29 4:41 PM Hamner

Feeling muscle soreness versus not feeling it....

Started by SweetK
Views: 1107 Posts: 8

2007-04-24 7:00 AM Shannon3

Muscle Fatigue

Started by jbillfsu
Views: 571 Posts: 5

2006-12-08 10:47 AM brian

trishorts - prevent muscle fatigue??

Started by tpetersen02
Views: 830 Posts: 9

2006-04-05 3:52 PM huengsolo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 8, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
How do you know the difference between muscle soreness and an injury? Learn several techniques to alleviate muscle soreness after a hard workout.

date : January 17, 2012
Pain in the hamstring region can be very frustrating and challenging for triathletes - healing may take several weeks and there are many factors that may complicate the eventual outcome.
date : December 22, 2011
Tips on the treatment of chronic muscle soreness

date : March 14, 2010
author : Team BT
Part two covers protein after workouts, caffeine usage during racing, the reason for muscle fatigue and general nutrition guidelines.
date : June 9, 2009
Workout associated fatigue is our gauge of a quality workout program. But, excessive or debilitating fatigue adversely affects workout quality, limiting performance gains.

date : November 16, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
Learn more about protein intake, iron, post exercise food, recovering with carbs and protein, rest days, fluids and sodium.
date : November 4, 2007
Do you get cramps after exercising? This article discusses 'exercise-associated muscle cramping' including the diagnosis, risk factors and some treatments.

date : November 20, 2006
comments : 1
The hope of the recovery icebath is that it reduces the amount of inflammation caused by the workout and helps to flush the legs of lactic acid.