General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Weight Room Recommendations? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-29 2:28 PM

User image

Subject: Weight Room Recommendations?
Wondering what people do for strength training beyond core regimen. I'd like to get stronger to benefit all disciplines.

Ran across this old post: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=...

Anyone endorse or use it? Alternatives?

Thanks

Gary

2013-07-29 2:40 PM
in reply to: PsyTri

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Weight Room Recommendations?
Originally posted by PsyTri

Alternatives?

Swim, bike & run (I do the same for my 'core regimen', too). None of those activities are strength-limited, nor is there evidence that it will help prevent overuse injuries (though it can be used to address 'imbalances' once those are known--usually after an injury occurs, unfortunately). Strength train for other reasons, if you like.
2013-07-29 3:49 PM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

As a 'strength-athlete' myself that is new to the world of SBR, I have been asking questions along the same lines as your question for some time now...

The answer I keep getting back from experienced triathletes/IM's is that 'bulk = bad' for triathlon. The more densely muscled you are, the less buoyant you become, and the more mass you have to carry during the bike and run. All of these work against you in triathlon.

Personally, I'm ok with that. I have other pursuits that require strength in my life, so I have conceded the fact that I'm imposing a challenge to myself by not cutting mass for triathlon like I might if I were ONLY pursuing triathlon.
2013-07-29 6:16 PM

User image

I like to incorporate the bosu and yoga ball into my weight routine. This helps me to bring in some balance and functional training, and forces me not to overdo it (if I use too much weight, I can't balance). I've found it helps engage my core muscles.

As far as the article is concerned, I tend to think there is benefit to both high rep/low weight training, and low rep/high weight training depending on what season you are in. In the low season "maintenance", I like to do the former, and get into the latter leading up to and into the season.
2013-07-29 6:18 PM
in reply to: adamchill

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
If you want to get better at running run. If you want to get better at Cycling, bike. If you want to get better at swimming swim.
2013-07-29 7:26 PM

User image

New user
If you get a chance to pick up Matt Fitzgerald's book "Racing Weight," he has a lot of good lifts for endurance athletes to keep their body healthy.

I think you might be able to see all of the lifts he recommends by "Clicking to Look Inside" on Amazon. Most of his exercise recommendations are built around stabilizing muscles so you decrease your likelihood of injury due to overuse.

2013-07-29 10:56 PM
in reply to: Tri_Pharm

I did just get "Strength Training for Triathletes" by Patrick Hagerman from the Amazon man today. It'll take me a few days to knock it out, but I'll let you know what his verdict turns out to be.
2013-07-30 12:32 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Veteran
Mission Viejo,
Originally posted by dmiller5

If you want to get better at running run. If you want to get better at Cycling, bike. If you want to get better at swimming swim.

And if you want longevity in the sport and remain relatively injury free, STRENGTH TRAIN! I stretch and foam roll regularly as well. Core work twice weekly, lift once and multiple body weight exercises (push ups, pull ups, dips etc) as I feel. I don't lift heavy anymore, as a former natural body builder many years ago, my muscle memory tends to want to put size on, I continue to utilize a higher then average protein rich diet. I tend to gain size easily, so I keep that in check and don't fluctuate much from 162-164 lbs. I am a firm believer that as an "older" age grouper (53), strength training has played a big part in helping to maintain my health and keep me training, not resting an injury!
2013-07-31 8:55 PM
in reply to: Coach Gil

User image

Well, that was not nearly a consensus!

I guess like any other decision, it depends on a number of factors and is informed by a number of issues. There are pros and cons.

1. I'm pretty slender and lanky and low body fat. Lightly muscular, but not dense by any stretch. (5'11", 168 lb).
2. I've not been working out for many years, so any notable muscle mass has long ago atrophied
3. I'm in no danger of bulking up so much that I sink like a stone or otherwise impede my performance
4. I want to avoid injury and feel that building strength will help me with the biking and swimming in particular.

I am already doing a regular core workout. I am going to look into some of the recommendations. I'm not going to sacrifice my swim-bike-run program, but will start supplementing with some weight training once I crush my first Sprint on September 1! For now, I'm working the training program and working core.

Thanks again for the input.

Gary
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Weight Room Recommendations? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

What is the recommendation regarding tire pressure vs body weight

Started by FELTGood
Views: 1871 Posts: 19

2013-07-02 3:47 PM reecealan

I would trade 2 resolutionists for 1 weight room knuckleheads

Started by dannynoonan
Views: 1609 Posts: 18

2011-01-04 8:41 PM faded_memories

Street Clothes in the Weight Room?

Started by Dancing Fool
Views: 1636 Posts: 22

2008-01-26 7:34 PM colesdad

Let's see your cycling room/training room/bike shop

Started by newbie13
Views: 1334 Posts: 9

2007-09-07 7:30 PM kaitlinrose

New bike thoughts....bike Weight vs body weight Pages: 1 2

Started by KathyG
Views: 2601 Posts: 34

2006-04-27 5:02 PM ChuckyFinster
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 26, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Research provides insight into struggles with shedding weight while training.

date : April 22, 2009
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Find out which sports nutrition practices effectively enhance performance. What and when you eat powerfully impacts how well you can perform.
date : June 22, 2006
author : Team BT
Seated Biceps Curl - Dumbbell strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

date : June 21, 2006
Standing Calf Raises strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
Standing Lunges strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

Leg Extension-Machine strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
date : April 2, 2006
author : TriDoc5280
comments : 2
This article will cover the basics on the nutritional needs of athletes and will include some standard recommendations from neutral bodies.

date : February 13, 2005
author : JeremyLikness
comments : 9
Losing fat is not difficult. So why does this continue to be an elusive goal for so many people, who “struggle” just to lose a few inches?