Vineman, Inc.
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 14h 56m
Overall Rank = 444/588
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 53/64
Pre-race routine:

Got up at about 3:00 am on race day. However I was basically laying in bed from 1:30 on. For two nights in a row I had the same evening meal. Rigattori Diane. Pasta with Angus Beef and a sauce made with Dijon mustard. It was to die for. So delicious. The one thing I couldn't get my head wrapped around was all the stuff and logistics. I believe I was over thinking everything. But in the end I think is what helped me reach most of my goals I set for myself. Arrived at Beach right at 5 am. Feeling sick from nerves driving into Guerneville. Shortly my stomach settled down. Quickly found my spot on a rack and went to the bathroom. Set up transition, spent some time talking with friends and slowly got ready.
Event warmup:

Short swim on other side of the damn.
Swim
  • 1h 11m 10s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

Great swim time. The swim is a strong leg for me.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. It was a great swim for me.
Transition 1
  • 13m 48s
Comments:

I had it in my mind to get through both transitions in 10 min. However, the changing tent was quite a ways away so I had a bit of back tracking to do to change into my bike shorts. It was very dirty and muddy in the changing tent with a small piece of carpet to step on. I accidentally put my Cycling Jersey on First before my bib bike shorts so I had to remove my jersey. As I was removing the Jersey it got stuck on my wet body and was very hard to get it down my arms. That took some time to get it off. Just getting everything packed away, arm sleeves on, bike gloves on, out of transition and up the hill took some time

Remember the order of putting on my bike gear.
Bike
  • 7h 07m 17s
  • 112 miles
  • 15.73 mile/hr
Comments:

My goal for the bike was to come in at 7 hours. I was short by about 7 min. First lap I was on the mark for a 16 MPH average. During the first lap I lost my pill carrier with my endurolytes when I pulled out a bag from my Bento Box. It went rolling into the ditch. I didn't bother stopping and relied on Gatorade Endurance for those needs. My only potential issue was on the second lap when I hit a hard bump and my handle bars shifted downward on me. I stopped and pulled them back up. At the next aide station I stopped and used a one of the two hex wenches I brought to tighten one of the handle bar bolts and that seem to help from that point on.

The second loop was much more difficult than the first for obvious reasons. I remember thinking to myself that I didn't recall so many hills the first time. I tried to pace myself and not get too carried away with passing people just to pass them, but to be patient and spin up the hills. My right foot was hurting on the outside and I was concerned what it would feel like when I got to T2.

Chalk hill, well it was difficult but got it done both times. Of course the second time it just seemed to be so much longer of a climb.

It was nice coming into Windsor and T2. I got into aero position and tried to keep a nice steady cadence and bring it in strong.

nothing really. I guess I could have pushed it more, but I was very close to my goal time.
Transition 2
  • 17m 15s
Comments:

Had to go to changing tent again to get into tri shorts and run jersey. T2 took more time because I wear a brace on my leg for osteoarthritis due to an old football injury. It enables me to run pain free, but it takeS some time to get on and adjust; plus my foot was hurting so I walked out of T2.

Nothing.
Run
  • 6h 06m 31s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 13m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

My biggest worry going into the race was my run. I put in the time, but I didn't get in big mileage. I think my biggest training day was maybe 13.5 miles. I really focused on the bike and swim hoping my bike fitness would carry over. During the bike I was having some pain in my right foot on the outside. I remember the same pain at Pacific Crest towards the end of the run, but it never surfaced in training or on my long bike rides. So during transition I was worried because I was having trouble walking on it. I stopped at Special Needs and grabbed some tylenol and then started walking. My foot hurt bad and was in pain and I was really worried if I was going to be able to run. I reminded myself I was prepared to walk the whole distance if I had to and trained that way as well. I walked the first half of lap one. I tried to run a couple of times to test out my foot and it felt ok I just had to adjust my gait a little so I didn't land directly on that area of my foot. I kept drinking RC Cola, eating grapes and peaches at one aid station and then at the next drinking gatorade. One gel per half lap as well. This began to give me more energy and slowly was able to start running on the second half of lap one. I'd tell myself run to the sign, run down the hill, run to the mailbox, etc. Just keep moving. My foot started feeling better towards the end of the first lap. Seeing my support crew and cheerleaders, Nena and Tami, who traveled with me to the race gave me so much energy and knowing they were in contact with my wife and son motivated me even more. I took three more tylenol from special needs and I actually was feeling good at this point and running well. It was interesting in that I never really focused on the number of miles I had left or the number or miles I had run. I just knew I had three laps to complete and wanted to collect my wrist bands after each lap. It was the beginning of the run where my negative thoughts came in, but it was purely wondering and hopeful I could finish with my foot the way it was. After I was able to run I didn't have another negative thought the whole race. I was talking with people, encouraging others and thanking the volunteers and police out on the course. Even joking with the spectators who were commenting on my bib number 444. It must have been something with saying "444" that got people going. I really loved it and it kept me motivated.

Coming out to begin lap two I ran the whole way to the first aide station only walking during my one minute interval. I used a 6 min. run one min. walk. Most of the time I ran the flats and downhills walked the up hills and ignored my watch. The hills were significant hills. Into lap two I hooked up with a guy from lower California and we ran together for the remainder of the race; well until about 2.5 miles out; I'll get to that a little later. Lap two was considerably faster and much more productive. Running flats, running downhills and walking hills. I found myself catching and passing people who were ahead of me on lap 1. Coming into the last lap turn around and collecting my second wrist band felt so good. My crew told me my time was getting better on each check in. My running partner and I had three hours to complete the last lap. He was shooting for a sub 15. That was my stretch goal. I continued the same pattern of nutrition and running. We were actually beginning to run further and at much faster pace. My partner made a comment about what mile marker we were at and how far we had come. I told him I wasn't even looking at the mileage, but only considered I had to do three laps. But in my mind it was a big accomplishment. At the last turn around it began to get dark. I had stopped at Special Needs to grab my light for the last lap so this was helpful to us. All we needed was to step in a stupid hole and twist our ankle. At about 2.5 miles I told my partner if he wanted to go and try to get under 15 to please feel free to go for it and not be concerned about me. He said he would. He thanked me for running with him and for getting him to run more often because he planned to walk more until I came along. After he left I decided to follow his thinking and set out on a much quicker pace and longer periods of running. I felt real good and wanted to finish strong. This was a regular matra of mine during training as well. I always tried to finish strong no matter how hard it hurt. The last 2.5 miles, I walked the big hills and stopped once to walk right before the turn towards the high school and ran the rest to the finish. It was such a joy and great experience to complete my first Iron Distance Triathlon and the day before my 50th Birthday.

The run portion of the race was a big surprise for me My times decreased each check in so I was very pleased with that. Starting from thinking and questioning was I going to be able to run to decreasing my pace each check in was very satisfying.

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

Tried to keep moving. Ate a piece of chicken and some pasta. The chicken noodle soup hit the spot.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Transitions, but not much. It wouldn't have made that much of a difference. I hit my stretch goal of under 15 hrs.

Event comments:

Did this in celebration of turning 50 yrs old the next day.

Last updated: 2012-09-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:11:10 | 4224 yards | 01m 41s / 100yards
Age Group: 12/64
Overall: 132/588
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra sleeveless
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 13:48
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
07:07:17 | 112 miles | 15.73 mile/hr
Age Group: 46/64
Overall: 403/588
Wind: Little
Course: Hilly
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 17:15
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
06:06:31 | 26.2 miles | 13m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 56/64
Overall: 503/588
Course: Hilly
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-07-30 12:07 AM

User image

Expert
Salem
Subject: Full Vineman Triathlon

2013-07-30 1:44 AM
in reply to: #4816510

User image

Subject: RE: Full Vineman Triathlon
Ron,

Congrats. I was there suffering w/ you on Saturday.

Joseph
2013-07-30 8:42 AM
in reply to: paradigm777

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Congratulations!  Great job!
2013-07-30 10:46 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Grats and great job! I know we said we both wouldn't do another but well...I'll let you know if I change my mind Can save up for a year and figure it out. Hopefully your birthday went well and you weren't too sore.
2013-07-31 10:54 AM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

Master
South Alabama

Great job. What an accomplishment!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Full Vineman Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Full Vineman Triathlon

Started by popsracer
Views: 2663 Posts: 8

2011-08-09 4:17 PM cbrave

Full Vineman Triathlon

Started by Baowolf
Views: 3246 Posts: 10

2011-08-28 10:14 AM enginerd

Full Vineman Triathlon

Started by wavedog
Views: 3090 Posts: 12

2011-08-08 10:05 PM MissKelly

Full Vineman Triathlon

Started by triOK
Views: 3437 Posts: 12

2011-08-07 12:38 AM ecpasos

Full Vineman Triathlon

Started by WillP
Views: 2536 Posts: 8

2011-08-07 10:46 AM jngai94
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 17, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 1
This program is a beginner plan to bridge you from an a Half Ironman to Ironman using a HRM with the confidence that you can complete the race without difficulty.

date : November 20, 2007
comments : 0
Executing this full Ironman plan for 17 weeks would give people with one Ironman under their belts very good preparation for a 2nd and 3rd. Preferably, you should have a 6:30 or faster HIM time.
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.
date : October 26, 2005
This Intermediate 20 week plan is a quick ramp up in overall volume, but with 20 weeks to train only, it is a gradual and safe approach because of the alternating weeks of the long run/bike.

date : October 2, 2005
author : Tri Swim Coach
Here are the top 5 challenges in learning how to breathe in freestyle, along with the remedies on how to get over theme. Includes a 2250yard/meter workout.
date : April 3, 2005
author : sherrick
comments : 19
This training plan is written to prepare you for your first Ironman. While just a beginner’s plan, the hours per week start at a significant 8 hours.

date : September 26, 2004
author : Team BT
comments : 3
Pain shows us how strong we are. After last weekend I am convinced of this. After 151 training hours of swimming, biking, and running, I flew to Sonoma County, California for the race.