General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Any Opinions/experience with the Fuji D-6 4.0 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-30 12:47 PM

User image

New user

Concord, NC
Subject: Any Opinions/experience with the Fuji D-6 4.0
I am in the market for my first tri bike, but not really in an huge rush. I am in my second session of during tris (sprints so far), but want to move up to Oly/HIM later this year (may sign up for B2B Half if I can get my swim up to par) and figured with a possible HIM in my near future I would definitely benefit from doing it with a tri frame (I ride a Trek 1.5 right now w/ clip-on aero bars and Flo 30's as my wheelset). I am not too familiar w/ Fuji bikes, but a bike tech from my LBS told me about their new Norcom Straight line of tri bike that was coming out later this year and I really thought that might be an option. Then this week a friend told me that the shop had a few of Fuji's current line (D-6 4.0) on clearance and that, it might be worth taking a look. I have not been able to find too much info on the internet as far reviews of the lower end modules or any wind tunnel results/comparison to other frames so I don't have much to go off of as far was data to help determine if I should take the plunge now, or save up some more money and wait it out for off-season deals.

The bike retails at @ $2,300, but I am probably looking at being able to secure it for around $1800-1900. My friend talked to the bike tech who said he was would upgrade the derailleur and chain rings at no additional cost, but I don;t have the exact specifics (the bike comes w/ 105/rear tiagra/front).

I'm 5'11 175lb (soon to be 44yr old), and like to go for the best bang for my buck in my purchases. I take my training seriously and while I don;t have the expectation of really ever getting a podium finish, I want to make sure I buy a quality bike and have it be something I'll still be happy with several years down the road.

Any thoughts or experience on this bike (or just general words of wisdom) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

2013-07-30 12:55 PM
in reply to: jlshafer

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: Any Opinions/experience with the Fuji D-6 4.0
The general consensus when it came out from guys that generally should be listened to when it comes to that stuff was that it wasn't a very aerodynamic frame. I never saw any data to dispute that. It came out in the time period right before everyone was super obsessed with "white paper" and data, so I'd guess it's a step below a P2/P3 at least. I've worked on a few... the rear brake can be a pain if you aren't much of a wrench.

Still, talking about the aerodynamics of the frame itself is not as important as whether or not the bike fits you and lets you get into your fastest position. That would be my primary concern when deciding.

Personally I'd wait for the Norcom (or a different brand) if it's in the budget... but it's not going to make/break you.
2013-07-30 4:23 PM
in reply to: jlshafer

User image

Pro

yeah- that's the word on the street about the D6.  not the most aero of frames, but I find it to be a really cool looking bike.  

Given that the Norcomm is coming out- that poor shop will have to pretty much give those old D6's away.  I'd say- buy the D6 if

1.  it fits, and

2.  you happen to really like it.

there will always be a faster bike out there.  don't get caught up in the whole thing.  Get something you love and ride the hell out of it.  the bike you ride a lot is the one that will ultimately be the fastest one.  plus- you don't do this professionally.  Does it really matter if you take 42nd place or 48th place?

Or, you can totally do an Oly or an HIM on a Trek 1.5.  an aero helmet will buy you more speed than the frame difference.

2013-07-30 4:29 PM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

New user

Concord, NC
Thanks Chris!

The Norcom does seem like it will be a more aero frame, but I can't image finding 'deals' on a bike they are just bringing to market. I am exploring other options (cervelo, trek, felt, kestrel) but at least as of yet all are at a higher cost. Trying to determine if it's worth going after a less aero frame (that fits) at a lower cost that I can upgrade down the road or spend extra $$ for something with less drag. If I go this route, it would allow me to purchase a Flo 60/90 combo (or similar) sooner, then I probably would otherwise.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Any Opinions/experience with the Fuji D-6 4.0 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Zoot tt 4.0 opinions

Started by buckeyetri
Views: 2067 Posts: 14

2011-11-13 9:55 PM RacerJRP

Just to get experienced opinion..

Started by donwah
Views: 1026 Posts: 14

2011-06-29 11:23 PM DIETRIING

Asics DS vs Nimbus question

Started by LittleCat
Views: 3090 Posts: 6

2009-08-22 9:37 PM Mad Lt.

Need opinions from experienced marathoners!

Started by swgtri
Views: 866 Posts: 6

2006-08-02 12:43 PM watergirl

opinions on fuji bikes?

Started by redbullgt337
Views: 2222 Posts: 9

2004-07-02 8:09 AM MUL98
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 4, 2011
author : MikeyT1298
comments : 6
First time triathlete conquers swim struggle and finishes at the front of the pack

date : August 8, 2011
author : Gina60
comments : 16
I can't run a seven-minute mile anymore, but that doesn't take away from the joy of finishing
date : June 27, 2011
author : Trmlo
comments : 10
At 66 years old, I completed my first sprint triathlon!

date : May 19, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
First in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries
date : April 27, 2011
author : brumby11
comments : 5
An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon

date : September 28, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
New products from Athlete 3, Fuji, Garmin, Kestrel, LiveStrong, Reynolds, Scott, Specialized, Shimano and Vision Tech
date : June 11, 2007
author : Courage
comments : 8
What is it that brought me to my knees one Sunday morning and then kicked me into a hole of self loathing and apparent depression? My apparent salvation was my old blue Fuji Royale II.

date : October 2, 2005
author : writers2
comments : 20
My First Half Ironman Experience-A Slow, Fat, Old Triathlete. Here is my story of my first, and probably only Half Ironman. I’m an almost 52 year old, VERY Athena triathlete.