General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri Indy Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-30 3:30 PM

Subject: Tri Indy
I was looking through here for any discussion on this years Tri Indy, but all I can find are posts about past years. This will be my first oly distance so I'm pretty excited!

Any locals with any good info?

2013-07-30 4:21 PM
in reply to: cbgroves

Veteran
Hoosier heartland
Subject: RE: Tri Indy
I've done Tri Indy a few times. A great race for your first OLY. The swim is in the canal, so a great swim for first timers who don't want to tackle an open water swim. Plus your family can walk along the canal and cheer you on as you swim. The bike is two loops, fast and flat, but with a lot of turns. Watch out for the railroad tracks and have your water bottle secure. LOL, my water bottle fell out while going over the tracks one year. The run is two loops and flat. This race is well supported by volunteers and spectator friendly.

Make sure to have all your gear for the race, It's a big event with a lot of participants. Most importantly, have fun!! Good luck!
2013-07-30 6:23 PM

User image

Master
Central Indiana
I've also done Tri Indy Oly a few times, and signed up again this year. Canal swim may be easier than OWS, but still plan to do a little sighting. There are 'out-pouches' of canal wall & a few obstructions on route (fountains) that you could bump into if too careless. Also- Watch for swimmers just standing up in front of you, since it's only ~4ft deep.

Transition area is nice open grass flat, but you walk almost a mile along canal to swim start. I usu bring a small throw-away bottle of H2O or sports drink for some last minute hydration. There is a smallish area near start for warm-up swim if you want. They provide steps for entry/exit as canal walls can be slick. Most yrs there are only 2-3 port-a-lets at swim start so plan accordingly.

Worth saying again: For Oly the bike and run are both TWO loops. Over the yrs folks have DQ'ed for missing a second loop

Bike course is flat to sl rolling with many turns and some rough patches (inc those RR tracks). Good advice to make sure your water bottle is tight. Run course is flat and fast along White River promenade with multiple water/Gatorade stations.

TuxBro does great job with organization & support. Look forward to a good time!!!
2013-07-30 10:23 PM

I did it two years ago. Nothing special about the course. Its flat and fast. The only things I remember that caused me concern were the fountains in the canal and a set of railroad tracks on the front half of the loop. The swim is point to point, so I'd either bag check a pair of shoes at the swim start or if family/friends will be at the start with you, pass it off to them.

I'll be there bright and early. Not excited about the 7:30AM start since I'm on CST. Is the sun even up in Indy at 7:30? Not sure the cold front we've been having in NW Indiana has been down in Indy, but is it actually possible the canal will be wet suit legal?

2013-07-31 7:17 AM
in reply to: ziggie204

Thanks for the run down guys! I was curious about the canal temp too. I don't have a wet suit, but I was just wondering what to expect. The pre-race instructions that are up don't have a current canal temp, you can tell it's still from last year:

http://www.tuxbro.com/entry-info/TRIINDY/TriIndyPre-Raceinst.html

Any suggestions for a good pre race pasta dinner on Saturday? I normally race close enough to home and cook myself, but I'm traveling up from KY so that's not really an option.
2013-07-31 10:49 AM

If your looking for Italian. . there is a Bucco di Beppo's downtown and I think a place called the Spaghetti Factory? The downtown area has lots of restaurants within walking distance of the mall, Century Center I think they call it? I'm sure you can find what you want there.

2013-07-31 8:25 PM

User image

Master
Central Indiana
Mall is Circle Center. Many eateries to choose from.
BTW- Anyone know if the Vermont St canal project will impact the swim?
2013-07-31 9:08 PM

User image

Master
Central Indiana
Monday canal water temp posted at 77F, so it will be close for wetsuits (unless you don't care about awards/timing).
2013-08-01 1:41 PM
in reply to: Oldteen

Ugg, going to cross my fingers it stays above 78. I really don't want to swim the canal in a wet suit but at the same time, I don't want to give up time to others if it ends up being wet suit legal.

2013-08-01 5:02 PM

User image

Regular
Indianapolis
I also did this a couple of times and besides the railroad tracks make sure that you take it easy coming out of transition on the bike. You head over the bridge to some sharp turns and then over the curb down to the street. I've seen people take it way to fast and almost wreck.
What's going on with the canal temp? This is crazy. I don't own a wetsuit and always liked how we were all kind of even. I used one on my first half and it definitely gave me an advantage. With the way the weather is shaping up for the rest of the week I can't believe that the canal temps are going to rise, I would bet they go down.
2013-08-02 7:26 AM

Ugh, it says it was 76 yesterday. I dont even own a wet suit I just want it to warm up so I'm not so cold haha.

Also, bib numbers are posted - is that the swim start order? Is it based on swim times or when you registered? I'm 400 and that seems better than I expected since I said I was a below average swimmer.

2013-08-02 1:25 PM

I'm bib 35.

It's based on the answer you gave to the swim question. The last race I did with this company, I answered 'above average' and was given a bib in the low 100's. I ended up having to swim over a lot of people. So this time, I answered that I swim like a fish. I'm not really that fast in the grand scheme of things, 1:35/100, but it seems I need to get up toward the front b/c there are a lot slower swimmers who overestimate their swimming skills. I'll hang back enough in the line to let the true fish go in front of me, but try to get in front of the slow fishes.

We are suppose to line up by numbers, but a lot of racers don't. It's on the honor system, and if we are wearing wet suits, it'll be hard to know where to put yourself. I for the life of me don't understand why poor swimmers jump up to the front of the line. I guess they just don't like waiting. But then they are the same people that get upset when the fast swimmers bump, hit, swim over them.
2013-08-02 1:54 PM

User image

Regular
Indianapolis
I know that a lot of slow swimmers try to start up front because they're afraid of not making the cut off times. I agree with you about seeding yourself higher and with more people wearing wetsuits the discrepancy between fast and slow swimmers will be even greater. I'm not that fast but at 1:40/100 I usually seed myself higher and I don't have too many people actually passing me.
I went out and rented a wetsuit from T3 today. I hate cold water and didn't want to give up that much time to everyone else. In the oly it's a great way to pick up an easy couple of minutes. Temps are going to be in the 50s or 60s for race time. Should make for a cold first few minutes on the bike, but will be awesome for the run. I hope the roads dry out from any rain we get this weekend. Good luck to everyone.
2013-08-02 5:32 PM
in reply to: bo4uofm

User image

Master
Central Indiana
Originally posted by bo4uofm

I know that a lot of slow swimmers try to start up front because they're afraid of not making the cut off times. I agree with you about seeding yourself higher and with more people wearing wetsuits the discrepancy between fast and slow swimmers will be even greater. I'm not that fast but at 1:40/100 I usually seed myself higher and I don't have too many people actually passing me.
I went out and rented a wetsuit from T3 today. I hate cold water and didn't want to give up that much time to everyone else. In the oly it's a great way to pick up an easy couple of minutes. Temps are going to be in the 50s or 60s for race time. Should make for a cold first few minutes on the bike, but will be awesome for the run. I hope the roads dry out from any rain we get this weekend. Good luck to everyone.

I'm still a slow swimmer so I try to be honest with my swim assessment. Some slow folks just always seem to want to start up front in most any event, as anyone who's done the 500 Mini Marathon knows. Too many with near identical chip & gun times over 3 hrs for HM.
And re swim- event web site posted that canal will narrow down to only 20ft wide at Vermont St bridge, about 450-500M into the swim. A spot to be careful for sure.

Temps ~60 should be great. Too could on the bike? HTFU, triathlete At B@B iron race a couple yrs ago we had mid-40's and drizzle!!

I'm #386, so say hello on Sun. Always great to meet BTers!
2013-08-02 9:52 PM

If its sunny with zero wind like they are calling for, 60ish at the start is actually really solid. It is just going to feel stupid/silly wearing a wet suit in the canal at the beginning of August. Went from unusually hot last year to unusually cold this year. Go figure.

I'll start near enough to the front that the reduction at 500m shouldn't be a factor, but that could be a bit ugly for the guys in the back.

2013-08-03 4:40 PM

User image

Master
Central Indiana
Walked down the canal to the bridge under repair. Canal is narrowed to about 10-15ft wide by metal scaffolding protected by a few sheets of plywood. I suspect it will be fine for the elites but get pretty congested for MOP-BOP AG'ers.

Good luck to all tomorrow!

2013-08-04 6:15 PM

I had a great first oly! My goal was 3 hours and I hit 2:48:15 according to my watch!

I read that in the past they were really slow about posting the results, anyone know how long it normally takes?
2013-08-04 7:32 PM

User image

Master
Central Indiana
Originally posted by cbgroves

I had a great first oly! My goal was 3 hours and I hit 2:48:15 according to my watch!

I read that in the past they were really slow about posting the results, anyone know how long it normally takes?

Congrats on a great time!

Results posted here-

http://www.tuxbro.com/results.html
2013-08-04 7:35 PM

Thanks!
2013-08-04 7:39 PM

Congrats to all the finishers. The weather was perfect, couldn't have asked for better. Well, maybe a bit warmer at 5:30 when I got there. . . but I had layers on so no biggie. I must say, it was super cool warming up riding through a deserted downtown Indy at 6AM.

2013-08-07 6:01 PM

how did you find the water temps for your race?

2013-08-08 7:14 AM
in reply to: heltonjjh

I think the final temp was around 75, which I expected to be pretty cold since it meant wet suits were allowed. It actually felt really good though, not cold at all. Could have had something to do with the fact that the water was 15-20 degrees warmer than the air that morning!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri Indy Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

2011 Tri-Indy?

Started by tyler0605
Views: 4747 Posts: 17

2011-01-07 12:33 PM todd.chestnut

Tri Indy : Official Thread Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by WOT
Views: 11072 Posts: 99

2010-08-10 5:00 PM DirkP

Aug 1st Tri-Indy Pages: 1 2

Started by indyZrider
Views: 5527 Posts: 27

2010-07-13 6:17 AM rpm1418

Tri Indy : Official Thread Pages: 1 2 3

Started by tjtryon
Views: 6935 Posts: 61

2009-08-26 10:15 AM WOT

Tri Indy Pages: 1 2

Started by Schack
Views: 4515 Posts: 27

2009-08-08 2:14 PM rc63413
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?

date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.
date : February 5, 2008
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
A product review of the Louis Garneau Tri Air Triathlon Shoe. After nearly two years of testing, see how this shoe performed. Currently being replaced by the Tri Air 2.

date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.
date : December 31, 2006
author : docgill
comments : 0
This life of mine is not so different from yours. It has a multitude of similarities. I suffer from uncertainty, I get nervous at the thought of registering and when getting to the starting line.

date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.
date : November 27, 2005
author : spetremears
9 weeks after my first bike ride, 5 months after my first swim and 13 months after my surgery I entered the Nelson week Tri a Tri !

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.