Other Resources The Political Joe » Prayer in School Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-07-31 1:08 PM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Subject: Prayer in School
With the school year coming up, I noticed something. A fair amount of my FB friends posted a picture or made a statement along the lines of "Prayer in School should be reinstated"

So after some thinking, I responded with: "I agree! Prayer in school should be mandatory. 5 times a day".

Needless to say, that was not met with enthusiasm. So I asked why they didn't say "Christian Prayer should be reinstated in Schools". Then the back-pedaling started.

So which is it?

2013-07-31 1:46 PM
in reply to: Marvarnett

User image

Expert
Boise, ID
Subject: RE: Prayer in School

What do they mean by "prayer in school"? The teacher prays at the beginning of class? The principal prays over the loudspeaker to start the day?

I say no to the above. But I also say don't prohibit the kids from praying when and how they wish as long as it is during a free moment and not just done in an attempt to disrupt the class. Course then you run into zero tolerance and someone will bite a pop tart into the shape of Jesus and will have to be suspended.

2013-07-31 1:54 PM
in reply to: Marvarnett

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by Marvarnett With the school year coming up, I noticed something. A fair amount of my FB friends posted a picture or made a statement along the lines of "Prayer in School should be reinstated" So after some thinking, I responded with: "I agree! Prayer in school should be mandatory. 5 times a day". Needless to say, that was not met with enthusiasm. So I asked why they didn't say "Christian Prayer should be reinstated in Schools". Then the back-pedaling started. So which is it?

3 of the Muslim prayers would not be during school hours, DUH!!!

2013-07-31 2:15 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
My children are Druid.....they worship live oak trees in the park.  There are no prayers.

Edited by Left Brain 2013-07-31 2:17 PM
2013-07-31 2:28 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro
Originally posted by Left Brain

My children are Druid.....they worship live oak trees in the park.  There are no prayers.

I hope they don't get splinters!

No organized prayers in classrooms. You want to have an optional after-school prayer session, fine by me.
You want to pray during class? Go to a non-secular (private) school.
2013-07-31 3:08 PM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly
Originally posted by Left Brain My children are Druid.....they worship live oak trees in the park.  There are no prayers.
I hope they don't get splinters! No organized prayers in classrooms. You want to have an optional after-school prayer session, fine by me. You want to pray during class? Go to a non-secular (private) school.

Or if you want to pray during class, just pray. Doesn't have to be out loud, doesn't have to disturb class or anyone else, your eyes can be open and your pencil can be moving. (well for a Christian prayer, not sure about other religions....)

2013-07-31 3:27 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Woodlands/Magnolia, TX.
Originally posted by Aarondb4

What do they mean by "prayer in school"? The teacher prays at the beginning of class? The principal prays over the loudspeaker to start the day?

I say no to the above. But I also say don't prohibit the kids from praying when and how they wish as long as it is during a free moment and not just done in an attempt to disrupt the class. Course then you run into zero tolerance and someone will bite a pop tart into the shape of Jesus and will have to be suspended.

agreed. seperation of church and state. pretty simple idea really. the second you start forcing little suzzy to bow her head and hold her hands together is the second you fail to treat everyone equally. watch out for the grilled cheesus, too!
2013-07-31 3:50 PM
in reply to: antlimon166

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!
Originally posted by antlimon166

agreed. seperation of church and state. pretty simple idea really. the second you start forcing little suzzy to bow her head and hold her hands together is the second you fail to treat everyone equally. watch out for the grilled cheesus, too!

Did this ever happen in public school? Honestly I have no memory of prayer in school (class of 84) & I am a Christian. Maybe I just tuned it out but I know I was never made to bow my head and hold my hands together. 

2013-07-31 4:18 PM
in reply to: Evergreen

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Originally posted by Evergreen

Did this ever happen in public school? Honestly I have no memory of prayer in school (class of 84) & I am a Christian. Maybe I just tuned it out but I know I was never made to bow my head and hold my hands together. 

I grew up in the Bible belt and kids were never forced to pray in school, or even before football games. It has always been a voluntary thing. And I do not care what people say, some kids will always pray in school (most likely right before the tests are handed out)

2013-07-31 5:03 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Left Brain My children are Druid.....they worship live oak trees in the park.  There are no prayers.
I hope they don't get splinters! No organized prayers in classrooms. You want to have an optional after-school prayer session, fine by me. You want to pray during class? Go to a non-secular (private) school.

Or if you want to pray during class, just pray. Doesn't have to be out loud, doesn't have to disturb class or anyone else, your eyes can be open and your pencil can be moving. (well for a Christian prayer, not sure about other religions....)

I think there were times I prayed in class, especially in Organic chemistry and P-chem. Pretty sure there as others doing the same thing.
2013-07-31 5:14 PM

User image

Regular
Northport, NY

1962 it was ended as per the Supreme Court. Engel V. Vitale. Many schools did have a morning prayer read over the loudspeaker while children stood up.

2013-07-31 5:16 PM

User image

Elite
As I recall we had school assembly every morning with religious hymns and prayers. Non Christians came into assembly after this for announcements etc. I was so jealous of those kids. It meant nothing to me then left no lasting religious belief at all. It's just what we did
2013-07-31 8:21 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I agree, it is a pretty simple idea.  However, I'm not sure what the state establishing a religion has to do with prayer in school.  :-P

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or the prohibiting the free exercise thereof"

As for the topic at hand, I do agree that the school shouldn't have one form of prayer or another in a public system for the simple reason that there are many religions and people who don't believe.  However, if kids or teachers want to pray or have Bible/Quran/Torah clubs outside of class or in the hall, who cares?

2013-07-31 10:25 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Elite

On the subject, it has all been said.

I also get a little annoyed at the point... that moral decay in out society will all be fixed by prayer in school. Ya... NO. Prayer in school is not the cause or cure for social ills.

When I grew up, I can't remember any prayer in school. But I can remember going to church 3 or 4 times a week and with service and Sunday school, and pot luck. I can't for the life of me see what prayer in school would have done for me.

2013-08-01 7:13 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by tuwood

I agree, it is a pretty simple idea.  However, I'm not sure what the state establishing a religion has to do with prayer in school.  :-P

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or the prohibiting the free exercise thereof"

As for the topic at hand, I do agree that the school shouldn't have one form of prayer or another in a public system for the simple reason that there are many religions and people who don't believe.  However, if kids or teachers want to pray or have Bible/Quran/Torah clubs outside of class or in the hall, who cares?

i reference that in the broader concept, that the state (school) should not get involved with religion (prayer in school), not the literal establishment of church by state. i guess it's simple in my mind, but i can see how it's more of a dotted line for others. sounds like we both see each others points, and agree...

eta: danngit it took out my high-five emoticon.

Edited by antlimon166 2013-08-01 7:14 AM
2013-08-01 8:27 AM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

While we didn't have prayer every day, there were prayers at sporting events and graduation.  Texas public school class of '88.

At my kids school, they recite the Pledge of Allegance, Pledge to the Texas Flag, and a have moment of silence.

2013-08-01 8:47 AM

User image

Regular

i reference that in the broader concept, that the state (school) should not get involved with religion (prayer in school), not the literal establishment of church by state. i guess it's simple in my mind, but i can see how it's more of a dotted line for others. sounds like we both see each others points, and agree...

eta: danngit it took out my high-five emoticon.

As a religious person and a constitutionalist/libertarian here is where I have a problem. This prohibition of establishing a state church has become bastardized into absolutely no religious mentions in government settings. That is not and never was the intent of our fore fathers. The expressions of our beliefs should not be suppressed. I understand the dominance of the Christian symbolism throughout our country's history and the fear that that is the only religion displayed. However as a Christian (well Catholic, so many of you don't really think I'm Christian), I feel that if we as a religious group were much more open to allowing others to display their beliefs, we wouldn't take as much grief. I know that is probably a dissenters view as a Christian, but it is what I believe. If I want to be able to freely express and display my own religious beliefs, I better not infringe on your same right to do so.

To the OP's point. I agree 100% withe your comment on FB. I have no problem with a Christian, Jewish, Islamic, Hindu, etc prayer behind said in school over the PA system or to start a meeting or whatever you want. How different is it really than a poem, or any other reflection piece? The real problem is when someone is given that bully pulpit to start proselytizing.
2013-08-01 9:06 AM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Pro
Originally posted by Hook'em

While we didn't have prayer every day, there were prayers at sporting events and graduation.  Texas public school class of '88.

At my kids school, they recite the Pledge of Allegance, Pledge to the Texas Flag, and a have moment of silence.

Yeah I remember a moment of silence on the PA in elementary school. I have no problem with that one, either. Nothing wrong with taken a moment to reflect, whether it's used to pray, think, or stare blankly into space, as per the individual desire. Pledge to the Texas Flag??

Speaking of prayer in schools, I also remember duck and cover
2013-08-01 10:02 AM

New user

Yeah I remember a moment of silence on the PA in elementary school. I have no problem with that one, either. Nothing wrong with taken a moment to reflect, whether it's used to pray, think, or stare blankly into space, as per the individual desire. Pledge to the Texas Flag??

Speaking of prayer in schools, I also remember duck and cover

I remember duck and cover esp. during the Cuban missile crisis. We lived within the supposed range and it was a BIG deal. Not that it would have helped us to survive. Scared the poop out of me as a little kid. Well once again I'm showing my age.
2013-08-01 10:14 AM
in reply to: NXS

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Originally posted by NXS

Yeah I remember a moment of silence on the PA in elementary school. I have no problem with that one, either. Nothing wrong with taken a moment to reflect, whether it's used to pray, think, or stare blankly into space, as per the individual desire. Pledge to the Texas Flag?? Speaking of prayer in schools, I also remember duck and cover
I remember duck and cover esp. during the Cuban missile crisis. We lived within the supposed range and it was a BIG deal. Not that it would have helped us to survive. Scared the poop out of me as a little kid. Well once again I'm showing my age.

I have to say that I am all for the separation of Ducks at State.  :-D

2013-08-01 10:29 AM
in reply to: powerman

User image

Expert
Boise, ID
Originally posted by powerman

I also get a little annoyed at the point... that moral decay in out society will all be fixed by prayer in school. Ya... NO. Prayer in school is not the cause or cure for social ills.

When I grew up, I can't remember any prayer in school. But I can remember going to church 3 or 4 times a week and with service and Sunday school, and pot luck. I can't for the life of me see what prayer in school would have done for me.

Yeah, quit arguing for prayer in school and bring back discipline at home and we will all be much better off!

2013-08-01 11:21 AM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly Pledge to the Texas Flag??
 One of the perks of living in a state that once was a republic in and of itself.  

"Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible."

2013-08-01 12:35 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Originally posted by powerman

Yeah, quit arguing for prayer in school and bring back discipline at home and we will all be much better off!

lol, Amen to that.  Oh wait, does that count as a prayer... nooo 

2013-08-01 1:11 PM
in reply to: Its Only Money

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Its Only Money
  • ..if we as a religious group were much more open to allowing others to display their beliefs, we wouldn't take as much grief...

• = root cause.
    2013-08-02 3:40 PM

User image

Champion
    Atlanta, Ga
    I lived in FL (HS class of '92) and I remember praying in school. They would say, "Bow your heads". I suppose technically it's not prayer, but last I checked that's the first step in traditional Christian Prayer.

I would love it if they had a rotating prayer. At least it 'might' have some people at least ask what the heck that was.
    New Thread
    Other Resources The Political Joe » Prayer in School Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

block funding to schools that ban imaginary guns

Started by idahocraig
    Views: 1633 Posts: 15

2013-07-12 1:36 PM tuwood
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : July 28, 2008
    author : mjguanella
    comments : 0
    Overweight, ex-high school athlete and father of three decides to enter a triathlon and gets more than he imagined.

date : January 1, 2008
    author : YourYoga
    The focus for this second session are the Sun Salutations that are comprised of 12 poses that flow from one to another, repeated four times.
    date : October 4, 2006
    author : TriSports.com
    Training for endurance athletics can be a complicated time gobbling monster. This is an understatement for the majority of us that are trying to juggle a full time job and/or school with training.