2013-08-05 9:23 PM
in reply to: antlimon166

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Subject: RE: Prayer in School
Originally posted by antlimon166

Originally posted by Its Only Money
  • ..if we as a religious group were much more open to allowing others to display their beliefs, we wouldn't take as much grief...

• = root cause.

exactly. and this is why there is separation of church and state to begin with. people came to this country to begin with because they were tired of the catholic church and church of england bullying everyone to the point of execution and torture for not practicing as they saw fit.

its freedom from religion that gives you freedom of religion. i don't see why that is such a difficult concept to understand.

our schools are getting pretty bad as it is. i think they could use all the time in the world to actually teach the material parents send their kids there to learn rather than hear the mythological opinions of teachers and faculty.
    2013-08-06 7:40 AM
    in reply to: Clempson

User image

Pro
    Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Clempson
    Originally posted by Its Only Money ...if we as a religious group were much more open to allowing others to display their beliefs, we wouldn't take as much grief...
    = root cause.
    exactly. and this is why there is separation of church and state to begin with. people came to this country to begin with because they were tired of the catholic church and church of england bullying everyone to the point of execution and torture for not practicing as they saw fit. its freedom from religion that gives you freedom of religion. i don't see why that is such a difficult concept to understand. our schools are getting pretty bad as it is. i think they could use all the time in the world to actually teach the material parents send their kids there to learn rather than hear the mythological opinions of teachers and faculty.

I didn't know we had "separation of church and state"  I thought we just had the establishment clause: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion..." followed by the free exercise clause "or prohibiting the free exercise thereof."

The term "separation of church and state" was first used in the Danbury Letter by President Jefferson.  However the purpose of this letter was to support the Baptist Churches religious liberty against the established state religion of Connecticut.  He was telling them there was a wall protecting THEM (the church) from the state trying to push one religious view upon them.

It always bugs me how people speak of the "separation of church and state" while ignoring what the constitution actually says.

However, I do agree that kids shouldn't be taught mythological opinions by teachers.  There's far too much of that going on in the name of "progress".

2013-08-06 8:23 AM
    in reply to: Clempson

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Its Only Money
  • ..if we as a religious group were much more open to allowing others to display their beliefs, we wouldn't take as much grief...

• = root cause.

exactly. and this is why there is separation of church and state to begin with. people came to this country to begin with because they were tired of the catholic church and church of england bullying everyone to the point of execution and torture for not practicing as they saw fit.

its freedom from religion that gives you freedom of religion. i don't see why that is such a difficult concept to understand.

our schools are getting pretty bad as it is. i think they could use all the time in the world to actually teach the material parents send their kids there to learn rather than hear the mythological opinions of teachers and faculty.

Honestly they should be having separate classes and teaching parenting skills, then maybe most of the actual school day could be spent on educating children.

Three minutes of religion during class isn't going to teach these kids the skills they need to get into college or enter the work force.
    2013-08-06 8:50 AM
    in reply to: tuwood

User image

Champion
    Chicago
    Originally posted by tuwood

Originally posted by Its Only Money ...if we as a religious group were much more open to allowing others to display their beliefs, we wouldn't take as much grief...
    = root cause.
    exactly. and this is why there is separation of church and state to begin with. people came to this country to begin with because they were tired of the catholic church and church of england bullying everyone to the point of execution and torture for not practicing as they saw fit. its freedom from religion that gives you freedom of religion. i don't see why that is such a difficult concept to understand. our schools are getting pretty bad as it is. i think they could use all the time in the world to actually teach the material parents send their kids there to learn rather than hear the mythological opinions of teachers and faculty.

I didn't know we had "separation of church and state"  I thought we just had the establishment clause: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion..." followed by the free exercise clause "or prohibiting the free exercise thereof."

The term "separation of church and state" was first used in the Danbury Letter by President Jefferson.  However the purpose of this letter was to support the Baptist Churches religious liberty against the established state religion of Connecticut.  He was telling them there was a wall protecting THEM (the church) from the state trying to push one religious view upon them.

It always bugs me how people speak of the "separation of church and state" while ignoring what the constitution actually says.

However, I do agree that kids shouldn't be taught mythological opinions by teachers.  There's far too much of that going on in the name of "progress".

Why does this bug you?

The phrase ``make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof'' is saying that the state cannot establish a state religion or prohibit someone practicing a certain religion, that is, building a ``wall between church and state.'' I don't think anybody is ignoring what the Constitution says, and that, in fact, has been upheld throughout the centuries. Jefferson certainly didn't ignore what the Constitution said, or misinterpret it.
    2013-08-06 9:29 AM
    in reply to: mr2tony

User image

Pro
    Omaha, NE
    Originally posted by mr2tony

= root cause.

Why does this bug you? The phrase ``make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof'' is saying that the state cannot establish a state religion or prohibit someone practicing a certain religion, that is, building a ``wall between church and state.'' I don't think anybody is ignoring what the Constitution says, and that, in fact, has been upheld throughout the centuries. Jefferson certainly didn't ignore what the Constitution said, or misinterpret it.

Jefferson's statement doesn't bother me at all, and I even agree with it in context.  The part that bothers me is how the "anti-religious" crowd have hijacked the term to mean that all forms of religion have to be removed from government, which I feel is not the intent of the constitution and most certainly wasn't the intent of Jefferson in his letter.

I subscribe to the non-preferential view of the establishment/free exercise clause.  My view is that government cannot prefer one religion over another, but has the ability to enter into religious issues for the purpose of the free exercise clause.

For example, a President who is a Christian can say a prayer invoking the name of Jesus.  A Muslim President (if he were elected) can speak of Muhammad in a speech because of the free exercise clause.  Yes, he/she may be part of the government, but they can still exercise their religious freedom.
    Same goes for government funding of religious charities and such.  If the government only funded Christian charities, vouchers, or whatever, I would have an issue with that.  However, if they treat them all equally then there is no constitutional violation.

2013-08-06 12:15 PM

User image

Champion
    Chicago

= root cause.

Why does this bug you? The phrase ``make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof'' is saying that the state cannot establish a state religion or prohibit someone practicing a certain religion, that is, building a ``wall between church and state.'' I don't think anybody is ignoring what the Constitution says, and that, in fact, has been upheld throughout the centuries. Jefferson certainly didn't ignore what the Constitution said, or misinterpret it.

Jefferson's statement doesn't bother me at all, and I even agree with it in context.  The part that bothers me is how the "anti-religious" crowd have hijacked the term to mean that all forms of religion have to be removed from government, which I feel is not the intent of the constitution and most certainly wasn't the intent of Jefferson in his letter.

I subscribe to the non-preferential view of the establishment/free exercise clause.  My view is that government cannot prefer one religion over another, but has the ability to enter into religious issues for the purpose of the free exercise clause.

For example, a President who is a Christian can say a prayer invoking the name of Jesus.  A Muslim President (if he were elected) can speak of Muhammad in a speech because of the free exercise clause.  Yes, he/she may be part of the government, but they can still exercise their religious freedom.
    Same goes for government funding of religious charities and such.  If the government only funded Christian charities, vouchers, or whatever, I would have an issue with that.  However, if they treat them all equally then there is no constitutional violation.

Since when can a president not talk about or exercise his religious freedoms? Obama tells people constantly that he's a Christian (sadly there are people out there too stupid to listen). Having a prayer before a political function, though, would be crossing a line. Just like having a prayer before the start of classes at school would be over the line. Now, having a `moment of silence' prior to the start of class -- that's fine. But I dont want to hear about your god and how much you love him and blah blah blah before the start of my city council meeting. This isn't a theocracy.
    2013-08-06 12:59 PM

New user
    "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams
    2013-08-06 1:51 PM
    in reply to: NXS

User image

Pro
    "Charlie don't surf". Robert Duvall
    2013-08-06 2:03 PM

User image

Pro
    Omaha, NE

= root cause.

Since when can a president not talk about or exercise his religious freedoms? Obama tells people constantly that he's a Christian (sadly there are people out there too stupid to listen). Having a prayer before a political function, though, would be crossing a line. Just like having a prayer before the start of classes at school would be over the line. Now, having a `moment of silence' prior to the start of class -- that's fine. But I dont want to hear about your god and how much you love him and blah blah blah before the start of my city council meeting. This isn't a theocracy.

You're making me laugh.  "the president can exercise his religious freedoms" but he can't say a prayer before a political function?  He either can or he can't.

To invoke Divine guidance on a public body entrusted with making the laws is not, in these circumstances, an “establishment” of religion or a step toward establishment; it is simply a tolerable acknowledgment of beliefs widely held among the people of this country. - Marsh v. Chambers, 463 U.S. 783, 790 (1983(That's Nebraska's Ernie Chambers, BTW)

2013-08-06 2:26 PM

User image

Champion
    Chicago

= root cause.

You're making me laugh.  "the president can exercise his religious freedoms" but he can't say a prayer before a political function?  He either can or he can't.

To invoke Divine guidance on a public body entrusted with making the laws is not, in these circumstances, an “establishment” of religion or a step toward establishment; it is simply a tolerable acknowledgment of beliefs widely held among the people of this country. - Marsh v. Chambers, 463 U.S. 783, 790 (1983(That's Nebraska's Ernie Chambers, BTW)

Right. He can exercise his religious freedoms but cannot be allowed say a prayer before a political function.

2013-08-06 2:37 PM

User image

Elite

Originally posted by mr2tony  Right. He can exercise his religious freedoms but cannot be allowed say a prayer before a political function.

No need to duck... it cleared easily.

2013-08-09 10:33 AM

New user

= root cause.

Right. He can exercise his religious freedoms but cannot be allowed say a prayer before a political function.

Thought you might be interested in this if you haven't seen it already.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-court-prayer-2...

2013-08-09 12:22 PM
    in reply to: NXS

User image

Pro
    Omaha, NE
    Originally posted by NXS

= root cause.

Thought you might be interested in this if you haven't seen it already. http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-court-prayer-2...

Interesting.  
    I know Obama walks a tight line when it comes to appeasing the secular crowd and religious folks alike, but I commend him for even taking a position on this.

New Thread
    Other Resources The Political Joe » Prayer in School Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

block funding to schools that ban imaginary guns

Started by idahocraig
    Views: 1635 Posts: 15

2013-07-12 1:36 PM tuwood
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : July 28, 2008
    author : mjguanella
    comments : 0
    Overweight, ex-high school athlete and father of three decides to enter a triathlon and gets more than he imagined.

date : January 1, 2008
    author : YourYoga
    The focus for this second session are the Sun Salutations that are comprised of 12 poses that flow from one to another, repeated four times.
    date : October 4, 2006
    author : TriSports.com
    Training for endurance athletics can be a complicated time gobbling monster. This is an understatement for the majority of us that are trying to juggle a full time job and/or school with training.