General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 3 months HIM to IM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-31 1:37 PM

User image

Subject: 3 months HIM to IM
so this may seem like a dumb question (or hopefully not)...

I am doing my first HIM end of October (Beach to Battleship) and i'm considering (haven't registered yet) - doing the Bone Island IM end of January 2014 - is the 3 months between the 3 doable/ would you, if you were in my position recommend it?

its not a big deal if I can't do it, but I'm trying to think ahead - I'm seriously considering doing IM Sweden August 2014 - but I would like to do another IM distance race (not necessarily IM branded one) prior to this - since I'd be traveling from the US (I figure its a good way to get something off my bucket list - visiting Sweden) plus getting to do a race

2013-07-31 1:53 PM
in reply to: austhokie

User image

Subject: RE: 3 months HIM to IM
I did my first HIM and then did my first IM distance race 8 weeks afterwards. My training plan had me train though the HIM but the week of it, it was a rest week and no interval training the week after. I did just fine physically but mentally I was sort of mad I never got a break so I did take 2-3 days off randomly from training. I think you'll be just fine.
2013-07-31 2:00 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
I would not advise anyone to do an IM 3 months after their first HIM with another IM planned 7 months after that.
2013-07-31 2:43 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
since you've not done an IM distance race, nor a HIM yet...I would advise against planning the January IM.

Stick to your August idea of Sweden IM, and rest up over the holidays, and start a solid training plan.

If you try to train through the winter for the January IM, you will be burned out by the time you get to the August IM.

YES, you could potentially do this, but a lot of risk and unknowns here. If you like that sort of thing, be my guest, but MO is skip the Jan IM.

2013-07-31 6:37 PM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

Originally posted by JohnnyKay I would not advise anyone to do an IM 3 months after their first HIM with another IM planned 7 months after that.

I wouldn't want to do that either...

FWIW, I did a HIM (3rd one) as my A race in early June and have an IM coming up.  The time between is a little over 4 months.  I feel like I have more than enough time to train before the IM, but my base is already pretty high.  I've done 3 marathons before and riding 100+ miles in training isn't that big of a deal for me.

But once my IM is over, I'm going to shut it down for a bit as far as tri training.  Probably ride my bike a lot, but I can't imagine trying to grind it out for 12 months straight.  There is another ultra distance tri that my friends are doing in April 2014 (6 months after my IM) and I have told them "no thanks."

2013-08-02 8:57 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

thanks for all your input guys - sorry i didn't check back in

I kinda figured that would be what the advice is - I guess I need to find something else to aim for (aside from IM Sweden)...I know that personally, I need several goals/races during the year - because even though I know I have a big race in 7 months, I'm like teh queen of procrastination...lol!

2013-08-02 5:21 PM

User image

How about a half marathon goal, or century ride for the mid term?  Those will both still help you towards your IM Sweden goal in building up your base or working on a potential weakness...but won't require the large amounts of training volume or recovery after the race that an IM will.
2013-08-03 9:30 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Jason N How about a half marathon goal, or century ride for the mid term?  Those will both still help you towards your IM Sweden goal in building up your base or working on a potential weakness...but won't require the large amounts of training volume or recovery after the race that an IM will.

How possible would goals like these be? Focus on one and build it up. And yes, half marathon, not full. Learning to run a solid half will still get in lots of run mileage without the big event that can take awhile to recover from.

2013-08-05 4:05 PM

Originally posted by austhokie

I kinda figured that would be what the advice is - I guess I need to find something else to aim for (aside from IM Sweden)...I know that personally, I need several goals/races during the year - because even though I know I have a big race in 7 months, I'm like teh queen of procrastination...lol!

Why don't you do the half -IM at Bone Island Tri? It will keep you motivated to workout thru the winter without burning you out.
FWIW, I am doing a half in October (Half-Full) and plan on doing the 140.6 at Bone Island. After that, I plan on doing nothing for a long while.

Andrew
2013-08-05 8:30 PM
in reply to: scutter

User image

Originally posted by scutter

Originally posted by austhokie

Why don't you do the half -IM at Bone Island Tri? It will keep you motivated to workout thru the winter without burning you out.
FWIW, I am doing a half in October (Half-Full) and plan on doing the 140.6 at Bone Island. After that, I plan on doing nothing for a long while.

Andrew

I had thought about that - i'm not sure - but its an option - I think i'll wait until after B2B to make my final decision
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 3 months HIM to IM Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

12 month out from IM

Started by Lurch
Views: 1910 Posts: 12

2013-07-31 8:17 AM jldicarlo

IM Done. 1/2 IM in a month

Started by piyushdabomb
Views: 2561 Posts: 13

2011-09-11 6:37 PM piyushdabomb

Training while sick, 1 month out from IM?

Started by ParadigmPerformance
Views: 1074 Posts: 2

2010-10-04 10:39 AM spudone

What NOT to do a month before your IM

Started by KSH
Views: 1738 Posts: 16

2008-08-15 1:28 PM SuzanneS

Exactly 3 months until IM FL!

Started by runnergirl29
Views: 1032 Posts: 10

2006-08-11 11:58 AM runnergirl29
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 22, 2008
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Socks speaks of how she made her way into triathlon by dropping a can of pop on her foot.

date : July 9, 2008
Trixie speaks of how she made her way into endurance sports and also gives some interesting insight on common runner's mistakes.
date : May 19, 2008
After getting talked into a Marathon, losing 100lbs, TriAya finds her way into the triathlon world.

date : November 1, 2007
From a cycling background to triathlete. A podcast with one of the first BT members about how triathlons allow him that daily satisfaction.
date : October 11, 2007
comments : 1
Is one month enough time to recover from my first marathon to go and do my first olympic tri? My alternative options are to do the 1/2 marathon and then do the olympic.

date : October 30, 2005
author : mscotthall
comments : 5
I have compiled a list of the eleven most important things, in my opinion, that I have learned in my first three months as a triathlete and a BT member. Hopefully you find this useful.
date : June 14, 2005
author : smeeko
Training plan featuring specific interval-type and track workouts to increase your 10K speed over the course of 2 months.

date : November 28, 2004
author : sekhmet
comments : 1
I challenge all BT readers who want to shed the pounds to stay committed to their training during the colder months. Share this commitment with others.