General Discussion Race Reports! » Memorial Hermann Kemah Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Memorial Hermann Kemah Triathlon - Sprint Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Kemah, Texas
United States
Onurmark Race Productions
Total Time = 1h 22m 15s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Due to living in North West Houston my wife and I decided to book a hotel as nearby as we could to the event. Note that this was only decided on the Thursday before the race which didn't leave us much of a choice in hotels. We managed to get ourselves booked into a hotel in Webster which was 15 miles away.

The night before the race we went out and had a meal, shrimp and pasta for me which is a bit different to my pizza ritual where i'm convinced i'm carb loading!

It was early to bed in preparation for swim in tidal waters in the morning (my first one). So after saying good night to my baby* who my wife would not let in the bed with us it was off to the land of nods.
Up at 4am, energy bar for breakfast, a banana and some water was enough to wake me up. On with the Tri Tats (awesome) then the three of us headed out on the 15 minute drive to Kemah.

On arrival in Kemah it was still dark but the place was buzzing, a hive of excitement. I racked my baby (ok, you get it now, she's my bike), set up my transition area and then proceeded to get my bearings so that i could easily find my bike after the swim exit. The normal running back and forth, sunglasses on, helmet on, chin strap close & repeat was executed to make sure everything was good. Then it was go time, picked up my wetsuit, a pair of new old running shoes (purchased last minute the night before at Target) and headed down to the swim start - GAME ON!!!

Event warmup:

A gentle jog to swim start, stretches and a Gatorade pre exercise drink.
Swim
  • 11m 54s
  • 500 meters
  • 02m 23s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was my first swim in open water that was not a man made lake. Whilst it wasn't very choppy, it wasn't a mill pond either. I waded out and stood at the start awaiting the bull horn. I quickly realized that trying to go full speed was not going to be of any value to me as it would leave me exhausted trying to sight, breathe and swim at once. I settled into my rhythm, took a kick or two and give a couple as i swam my way round the course.

Swim exit was a little slippery but thankfully a hand rail was present to help me get to my feet then it was onward to the wet suit strippers then onward again to get my old new shoes for the 0.5mile run to T1
What would you do differently?:

LEARN TO BREATHE BILATERALLY!! I hate that i cannot do this, it might help me sight better too
Transition 1
  • 06m 46s
Comments:

Remember it was a half mile run to T1 from swim exit hence the time. I passed a few people on this run so that made me feel relatively happier. I also experimented this tri with no socks so saved a bit of time not having to pull socks on before pulling on my cycling shoes.

flying mount next time maybe.........doubt it though
Bike
  • 35m 49s
  • 12.5 miles
  • 21.08 mile/hr
Comments:

This was an out and back, i passed more people than i could count on the bike leg, pushing hard all the way but suddenly my Garmin failed therefore i had no idea of pace. I think this resulted in me slowing down and accepting a pace much slower than i would normally cycle at. On the way back to T2 i had a battle with a guy back and forth. I'd pass him and give him a few bike lengths, he would then wait a minute and pass me. This went on and on. TBH, i was getting annoyed of it.

Make sure my Garmin is working.
Transition 2
  • 01m 20s
Comments:

Shoes off, runners on and off i went.

Flying dismount?
Run
  • 26m 43s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 17s  min/km
Comments:

HORRENDOUS. Ran out of T2, followed the cones round and then saw the finish chute ahead of me, a lady was standing in front of the sign that said 'Athletes Left' so the runners could not see the sign, when asked 'which way' she pointed back thew way I came. There were a few of us who turned and ran back towards T2 where a policeman told us to run back to where the lady was and turn left. That was an extra half mile or so tacked on and my chance of a decent time screwed. Ah well, it was my fault. This was THE ONLY race that i have not walked or googled the run before doing it. Completely foolish.

Anyway, on with the run. Kept a decent pace, i passed a few others and hit the finish chute after 26 mins. (shocking for a guy who can run a 21)

Research the route!!!!!
Post race
Warm down:

Gatorade (handed out by the volunteers, thanks girls). Walk back and forth and stretch out.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

1. Breathing and sighting
2. Bike computer failed
3. Got lost on run (IDIOT)

Event comments:

OnUrMark always put on a great race and this was no exception. The attention to detail cannot be beat.

It was my own stupidity that kept me from getting a good time on the run and a mistake i won't make again.

Last updated: 2013-05-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:54 | 500 meters | 02m 23s / 100meters
Age Group: 22/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Start in the water, out to a buoy, turn right, hit another buoy and swim to shore
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 06:46
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:35:49 | 12.5 miles | 21.08 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:20
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:43 | 05 kms | 05m 17s  min/km
Age Group: 26/
Performance: Bad
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-07-31 1:55 PM

User image

Subject: Memorial Hermann Kemah Triathlon - Sprint Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Memorial Hermann Kemah Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Memorial Hermann Kemah Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by AggieTron
Views: 686 Posts: 1

2013-04-10 10:28 AM AggieTron

Started by tsapp1981
Views: 818 Posts: 1

2012-05-01 4:52 PM tsapp1981

Started by CDHeise
Views: 1132 Posts: 1

2012-04-30 9:29 PM CDHeise

Memorial Hermann Kemah Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by uhcoog
Views: 1427 Posts: 6

2012-05-01 8:46 PM dblbogy

Memorial Hermann Kemah Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by deweylittle
Views: 1182 Posts: 3

2012-05-01 9:51 AM JAngell
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : January 1, 2008
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : November 22, 2007
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
Any good race director will go over the triathlon swim course directions many times.

date : September 1, 2004
author : infosteward
Experts agree, doing a “mock,” triathlon on the course you’re racing can aid you in your training; performance and most of all quell some nervous energy.