General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks Triathlon - Mistletoe State Park Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tri the Parks Triathlon - Mistletoe State Park - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Appling, Georgia
United States
Blue Sky Sports
Overcast
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Walked through transition areas from swim to bike to run.
Event warmup:

None
Swim
  • 00m
  • 600 meters
  • / 100 meters
Comments:

2nd out of the water for my age group so I was content with my swim. Water temp was OK, possibly just a tad warmer than ideal for me. Course was in the shape of a large V which is not the standard for this particular race, due to water levels being higher than normal. On entry when I was about waist high I ended up walking into a small pine tree that was submerged so they weren't kidding about the water level.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

T1 at this race is a bit of a bear. You have to run from the beach, up a hill around the bathhouse through the parking lot on asphalt which is a bit of a distance. Can be tough on the feet with all the pine cones and gravel. Once you get your bike you have to then run/walk the bike out of the transition area to the mount line and again, it is a bit of a haul. Can extend you swim "time" by a good 2 minutes or so unless you are a strong sprinter out of the water since the transition doesn't start until you make it almost to the bike racks.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 11.8 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

Lost time to my age group. Not surprising as this was my first tri in age group status. Need to get more comfortable with switching from small to large ring to take more advantage of downhills.
What would you do differently?:

Get more proficient with gears.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 00m
  • 3.1 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

Well marked and staffed but it was tough. The humidity was high but thankfully it was completely over cast. My garmin was giving some issues so I was running by feel alone. Progressively sped up with each mile and managed to pass a couple of my age group near the end to make up some of the time I lost on the bike.
What would you do differently?:

Don't run on the rubber trail. Get to the side. Try to drink more.
Post race
Warm down:

Eat oranges...lots of oranges.

Event comments:

It was a well run race. For me it was physically taxing due at least in part to the high humidity levels. Aside from that I think it was still challenging, especially the run.

Last updated: 2013-07-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 600 meters | / 100meters
Age Group: 2/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: big V from lake bank to beach
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:00:00 | 11.8 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/
Wind:
Course: Rolling hills with 2 U turns. Could be a bit dicey for faster riders who have bunched up and did mean coming almost to a stop. For the most part well marked and manned so that you knew exactly where to go. Had a small problem at the first U as the guy that was giving directions had turned around and walked off slightly. This U was at a split in the road so I wasn't sure if I was suppose to turn and keep going (which I did in error) or what. Probably killed only a minute though before getting it straightened out.
Road:  Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:00:00 | 03.1 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 4/
Course: Quite a bit of off road trail running mixed in with road. Immediate hill upon start on trail through the woods that was a killer. Lots of walkers here at least part of the way. Other side was steep down hill, again some walkers trying to not roll down head first, and since there has been so much rain some mud that made areas a bit dicey. At one point the trail in the woods turned into one of those tracks that is "paved" with rubber. Bouncy and not great for speed so some folks were getting off and running beside it. Learned my lesson and will do that next time.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2013-07-31 2:53 PM

New user
Subject: Tri the Parks Triathlon - Mistletoe State Park
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks Triathlon - Mistletoe State Park Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tri the Parks Triathlon - Mistletoe State Park

Started by LukeBoswell
Views: 876 Posts: 1

2012-07-23 10:37 AM LukeBoswell

Started by AtlantaBill
Views: 1057 Posts: 1

2012-07-23 12:43 AM AtlantaBill

Started by TRI-ing soldier
Views: 1179 Posts: 1

2011-07-28 12:27 PM TRI-ing soldier

Started by ybedell
Views: 887 Posts: 1

2011-07-24 9:23 AM ybedell

Started by afrutoz
Views: 1585 Posts: 1

2008-07-06 5:23 AM afrutoz
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 29, 2012
author : sarals
comments : 0
Unforeseen challenges make for a compelling race.

date : February 22, 2011
author : shaunjamison
comments : 1
Ups and downs race report from the Lakes to Pines Sprint Triathlon by a master's aged newbie.
date : September 16, 2010
author : LifterCatcher
comments : 3
As the fog cleared, the buoy that I first saw earlier in the morning was just the first marker in a very long line of buoys that stretched across the lake like a runway for a 747 jetliner.

date : March 17, 2008
author : Yosel20
At first I thought, "Oh boy, what a mistake!" Let’s face it, I could barely run half a mile, I had not swum in forever, and my biking skills were not great, to say the least.
date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : November 27, 2005
author : spetremears
9 weeks after my first bike ride, 5 months after my first swim and 13 months after my surgery I entered the Nelson week Tri a Tri !
date : October 17, 2004
author : jhealy422
My sister warned me about being used as a launch ramp by faster swimmers but much to my surprise I was the one swimming over those in front of me. I went around one woman, then another.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
Are you only focusing on racing and training this season?  Volunteeri to help at a triathlon!