World Triathlon Corporation
72F / 22C
Overcast
Total Time = 12h 30m 58s
Overall Rank = 800/2536
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 135/300
Pre-race routine:

Get to town and enjoy the week prior to race. swim in the lake, ride the bike course, check out river road. lot of fit people in spandex for 7 days!
Event warmup:

new swim start - so I acclimated a bit in the swim area and snuck in the water entrance of the wave start. good move - outside the crowds and little more chill.
Swim
  • 1h 27m
  • 4224 yards
  • 02m 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

Be smart people - when you self seed be honest. a couple of slow floaters lied and had 2000 people swim into them. I aimed for a 6:45am start at 90min pace and was right on time. still little bumping for first 300M both laps, but all in all a pretty chill swim. I stayed wide to keep a rhythm. Earl Walton is my hero. I spotted him at the start. build a better boat!
What would you do differently?:

build a better propeller. Learn to swim over people. everytime I bump into someone I stop - going to need to fix that.
Transition 1
  • 09m 30s
Comments:

IM - no shoes on pedals. took extra time to go back into morning clothes bag and pull out arm warmers because it was raining during the swim. You can do this transition in 4-5 min if you are organized. no socks, helmet and shoes only in bag. race number not required on bike - added belt at run

Important Note: the mount line is followed by a 180 turn, then a superfast downhill, then a hard technical left turn yo uprobably have to brake to make. SCOUT IT OUT.

I wasn't in a big rush but know transition gets really busy for the 75-85 min swim crew. train accordingly. Tell the guy with the megaphone your number if he doesn't call it out to give the volunteer advanced notice.

Bike
  • 6h 18m
  • 112 miles
  • 17.78 mile/hr
Comments:

For me, everything was cruising until mile 100. the last 12 miles, from the Flume Trails into town, are one big hill+headwind. PREPARE. I spent maybe 2 min out of the saddle all day, and followed Endurance nation coach patrick "JRA" advice and "just rode along". That was good advice. Ate about 1500 calories and had to stop 2x for potty break. (I ain't going to Kona - porta potty for me).

used a 34/50 and 27 in the back. conservative, but it was my first IM.

more hill repeats in training. just lost power the last hour, and time kept ticking. Long hill repeats too, like 10-12 min hills to build power.

You can only get 1 item per aid station, unless you are really coordinated. There is one person with GU, right in the middle, so if you are going for gels plan ahead. I zoned out and missed a station, but would advise plan what you need for the next station while riding along, and get that one item each time. If it is hot, you probably could grab two waters, but you need a plan for each station. Excellent volunteers.
Transition 2
  • 02m 45s
Comments:

I was nice and cool, but the volunteers will yell at you to "TAKE OFF YOUR HELMET" because of overheating, I think. Placed a water bottle in bag to spray down arms and head - good idea.
Felt surprisingly happy and good to be off the bike - much easier run transition than I expected. I did plenty of short bricks in training, like a 9 min run after any bike, and it really helped.

have a little bit of real food in run bag. like 8oz of smoothie or something.
Run
  • 4h 33m
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

just because they offer an aid station every mile, doesn't mean you have to eat or drink something every mile. I put too much fluid in my gut and just felt sloshy. 4 oz of coke + a gel every 4 miles would have been fine. It's a balance between digestion and calories. Next time cola+ half gels/H20 is all I do.

little more food on the bike, little less food on the run. It's OK to walk.

Note: there is a significant almost 2 mile out and back past the brewpub, along the lake and back to town. it is almost all uphill going out. Be ready or it will break you mentally.
Post race
Warm down:

A very beautiful woman handed me two chocolate milks. life is good.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

first IM - took a conservative pace. I did Raleigh 70.3 in 5:18 with heat so thought I would be faster - but didn't want to totally explode so took it a little conservative. the experience was probably more pleasant that way, but my time was slower than I hoped for. still fun. no regrets. and I can walk up stairs right now.

Event comments:

IMLP 2014 sold out by 9pm on the day after. I'm going to stick to 70.3s for a while, but it was good to check this off the bucket list. Very organized and the swim start was as good as could be expected.

Check out the coach patrick youtube videos 1-5 on the course overview. that was helpful for planning. visit in June to scout the course and do Wilmington Whiteface 100km. Rent in Jay, it is quieter out there.

Last updated: 2013-06-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:27:00 | 4224 yards | 02m 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 250/300
Overall: 1800/2536
Performance: Good
Suit: full
Course: out and back 2x. clockwise (new for 2013). narrow rectangle.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 09:30
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
06:18:00 | 112 miles | 17.78 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/300
Overall: 0/2536
Wind: Some
Course: average 2nd lap is 20min slower.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:45
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
04:33:00 | 26.2 miles | 10m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/300
Overall: 0/2536
Course: walk the hills, unless you are cruising along at 9 min pace. both ski jump hill and IGA hill.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-07-31 3:29 PM

Subject: Ironman Lake Placid
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Lake Placid Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman Lake Placid

Started by ckunst
Views: 3166 Posts: 4

2011-08-01 7:36 PM jillian_o

Ironman Lake Placid

Started by cornerofdivision
Views: 3559 Posts: 7

2011-08-01 8:58 AM igorkiev

Ironman Lake Placid

Started by krissster
Views: 2431 Posts: 1

2011-07-28 8:25 PM krissster

Ironman Lake Placid

Started by glazebal
Views: 3997 Posts: 8

2011-08-17 10:25 AM timebaron

Ironman Lake Placid

Started by aj_breitwieser
Views: 2846 Posts: 1

2008-06-20 11:10 AM aj_breitwieser
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 5, 2010
author : CavalloHJ
comments : 5
I found a sprint, the Lake Las Vegas Triathlon, that was happening four months down the road and signed myself up; much to the surprise of friends and family.

date : September 26, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
New products from Prologo, Lake, Avia, Orbea, Ceepo, Jamis, Zipp, Profile, Scott and Specialized.
date : July 12, 2009
author : FitWerx
I have Bontrager Race Lite wheels. I was looking into renting Zipp 303's or 404's for race day for Ironman Lake Placid. What time will I save?

date : September 24, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
I am running Boston in April and Ironman Lake Placid is in July. I have been told that it is ambitious to think about doing an IM so close to a marathon due to the recovery time. Any suggestions?
date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?

date : January 7, 2007
author : Writebrained
Both the Lake Triathlon Shoe CX210TRI and the Lake Road Shoe CX225 offer distinct advantages. I tested both shoes and found them to be extremely comfortable, good looking and durable.
date : December 31, 2006
author : TriSquirrel
A description of my experiences during my first triathlon. It was a great experience. I’m in better shape than I’ve ever been.

date : July 30, 2006
author : mhan22
If you are calm while everyone around you is losing it, you probably don’t know what the hell is going on.