General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Who is the Jeff Galloway of triathlons? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-31 10:34 PM

User image

Atlanta, Georgia
Subject: Who is the Jeff Galloway of triathlons?
Galloway is known as the premier coaches for distance runners & his training plans are used successfully by tons of people. So who is the Galloway of triathlons? Who is the premier coach who has published some of the best books & training plans for everything from sprint distances to Ironman distances?

2013-08-01 12:26 AM
in reply to: Meathead

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Subject: RE: Who is the Jeff Galloway of triathlons?
Lots of books out there. No one with the racer cred that Galloway has put one out. Joel Friel comes to mind.

2013-08-01 5:16 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
IMO the best triathlon books are those written by Dr. Phil Skiba at Physfarm (http://www.physfarm.com). There are many books available but other books on training pale in comparison.

If you are looking for training plans, I would say Fitzgerald's book isn't too bad as it provides multiple plans at various levels.

Shane
2013-08-01 5:47 AM

User image

Expert
Ontario

Originally posted by Meathead Galloway is known as the premier coaches for distance runners & his training plans are used successfully by tons of people. So who is the Galloway of triathlons? Who is the premier coach who has published some of the best books & training plans for everything from sprint distances to Ironman distances?

Tons of people (runners) would disagree with this and with the 'Galloway method' of run training. 

The first name that comes to mind for me for triathlon training is Friel but probably because his book is titled the 'triathlon training bible' and is probably a book and a name that a lot of people would recognize.  That doesn't mean he is the premier tri coach or that his methods are best, just  that he is well known  like jeff Galloway.

2013-08-01 8:19 AM
in reply to: cathyd

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
I'm sure there are many opinions on this, but Dr. Phil Maffetone was a great resource for me.
2013-08-01 9:21 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Originally posted by cathyd

Originally posted by Meathead Galloway is known as the premier coaches for distance runners & his training plans are used successfully by tons of people. So who is the Galloway of triathlons? Who is the premier coach who has published some of the best books & training plans for everything from sprint distances to Ironman distances?

Tons of people (runners) would disagree with this and with the 'Galloway method' of run training. 

The first name that comes to mind for me for triathlon training is Friel but probably because his book is titled the 'triathlon training bible' and is probably a book and a name that a lot of people would recognize.  That doesn't mean he is the premier tri coach or that his methods are best, just  that he is well known  like jeff Galloway.

To be fair, I would categorize Galloway as a premier coach for beginning runners, just like Terry Laughlin/Total Immersion are best known for beginning mid-life swimmers.  Both have name recognition and appeal to the couched masses.

Once you get to the point where higher performance becomes more of an objective there are other coaches/methods that may be more effective.

I've always been a disciple of Joe Friel.  A read the Training Bible when I first got involved with triathlon and my first coach was one of his associates.  A few years ago I also had the opportunity to do a weekend workshop with him which included some one-on-one time with Joe.   Some of Friel's periodization strategies are getting a bit dated, but his methods can still be effective if you have the discipline to follow them.

Going back to Galloway for a moment, I adopted his run/walk method after I missed most of 2010 after partially tearing my left Achilles tendon.  I continue to deal with both degenerative tendinosis on both my Achilles and chronic patella tendinosis in my right knee. Integrating walk breaks into my training runs has allowed me to manage my injuries and at age 60 I feel it also aids my recovery ability.  In fact, since adopting the run/walk, I've been able to increase both my running frequency and volume significantly while remaining injury free for the past three years.  I know that some of the chest-thumping purists look down on the "Gallowalkers", but it's definitely been of benefit to me and many others.

Mark

2013-08-01 9:52 AM

User image

Atlanta, Georgia
Originally posted by cathyd

You can disagree with his methods, but other than Hal Higdon, no one has the name recognition or success that Galloway has had.

I used Higdon's plan for my first half marathon & suffered through injuries & long recovery. I am using Galloway's plan now for my October races & my recovery times are much shorter & I have not had any injuries (knock on wood). It's all about finding the plan that works best for you.

BTW...I'm not a blind Galloway disciple. I'm just using his training plan/methods/drills right now.
2013-08-01 2:13 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Meathead ... You can disagree with his methods, but other than Hal Higdon, no one has the name recognition or success that Galloway has had. ....

For advanced runners- Pete Pfitzinger's book is quite popular

McMillan?

Jack Daniels (the running coach, not the hooch)?

My problem with Galloway, is that he's got people believing that it's faster to run/walk than it is to run at a sustainable pace.  Which is just wrong.  Once you can comfortably sustain a running pace and form at below threshold Z2 or Z3, I don't see any purpose to gallowalking.  

2013-08-01 3:05 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Atlanta, Georgia
Originally posted by morey000
My problem with Galloway, is that he's got people believing that it's faster to run/walk than it is to run at a sustainable pace.  Which is just wrong.  Once you can comfortably sustain a running pace and form at below threshold Z2 or Z3, I don't see any purpose to gallowalking.

Agreed, and like you said, if you get to a level where you are exceeding even his fastest RWR plan, you probably are beyond needing his information anyway. Looking at his book I have right here, the fastest RWR interval he has listed is 7:00/mile & for that you run for 7 minutes & walk for 30 seconds. If you are running sub-7:00/mile, Galloway may not be for you anymore.

Edited by Meathead 2013-08-01 3:06 PM
2013-08-01 3:35 PM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Originally posted by morey000

Originally posted by Meathead ... You can disagree with his methods, but other than Hal Higdon, no one has the name recognition or success that Galloway has had. ....

Referring back to my previousl post, if I didn't take walk breaks, I couldn't run pain free more than a couple of miles due to my knee and Achilles.  I've done a lot of trial & error runs and determined that my pain-free theshold is about a 4:1 ratio.  That 1 minute walk break is just enough to keep things in check.

Am I ever going to win a race or even my AG? Probably not.  But at least Galloway lets me keep at it.  It also hasn't kept me from getting faster (and yes, I know I'm still turtle slow). 

To each their own.  Don't judge just because things aren't they way you think they should be.  If you can run all day without taking any breaks, than great for you.  Not all of us can, but not for the lack of effort or commitment.

Mark     

2013-08-01 8:25 PM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

New user
Athens, GA
Originally posted by RedCorvette
Am I ever going to win a race or even my AG? Probably not.  But at least Galloway lets me keep at it.  It also hasn't kept me from getting faster (and yes, I know I'm still turtle slow).

Not to get too far afield of the original question, but this is true for me, too. I use Galloway intervals for any race 13.1 or longer, and the long runs leading up to the events. I've run three marathons and PRed #2 and 3. I've PRed every half marathon I've raced (that is, not counting the Disney ones that were closer to the fun run end of the continuum). I can run 13.1 straight through, but I stay healthier and happier and continue to improve using run/walk, so I'm happy doing it that way. If I reach the point where I'm not seeing improvement, I'll reassess.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Who is the Jeff Galloway of triathlons? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Jeff Galloway book: Running Injuries

Started by feh
Views: 1172 Posts: 7

2010-05-14 8:11 PM Donskiman

Jeff Galloway Running School?

Started by lil_turtle
Views: 1704 Posts: 4

2008-07-17 7:56 AM Comet

Jeff Galloway to Speak at North Atlanta Multisport Club Meeting

Started by Rocket Man
Views: 979 Posts: 3

2006-02-23 7:30 PM huengsolo

Jeff Galloway training?

Started by line
Views: 1046 Posts: 4

2005-10-17 2:06 PM clflgrl

Jeff Galloway

Started by tribesman
Views: 1147 Posts: 12

2005-07-27 1:25 PM pkingfl
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 4, 2011
author : MikeyT1298
comments : 6
First time triathlete conquers swim struggle and finishes at the front of the pack

date : September 30, 2011
author : wendybird
comments : 9
No shame in being last
date : August 8, 2011
author : Gina60
comments : 16
I can't run a seven-minute mile anymore, but that doesn't take away from the joy of finishing

date : June 27, 2011
author : pyroman1_1
comments : 3
Lake Havasu Tri 3/19/2011
date : April 27, 2011
author : brumby11
comments : 5
An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : September 24, 2007
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on salt tablets, AM workout nutrition, coffee, post workout nutrition, whey powder, recovery nutrition, losing weight, Recoverite usage, the necessity of sugars and snack ideas.

date : September 8, 2007
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on racing in the heat, electrolytes, weightloss and long distance training, the best way to improve your run, taper psychology, the best gel and the benefits of a swim stroke analysis.