General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim Etiquette? Is there really such a thing? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2013-08-05 3:05 PM
in reply to: 0

Subject: RE: Swim Etiquette? Is there really such a thing?

Edited by TriFreaks Sports 2013-08-05 3:15 PM

2013-08-05 3:07 PM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Originally posted by BikerGrrrl

and had my butt grabbed quite often.  

Me too! Can any of you fast fishies (male 25-29 in my experience) explain this? Why are you grabbing our booties?

For me it hasn't been an "Pardon, I'm faster than you and am passing you a smidge too close" thing, it's been a "Honk honk! I'mma grab your booty and SQUEEZE! 3 times in a row!" type of thing. I laugh every time it happens, but have never figured it out.

2013-08-05 3:11 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Originally posted by lisac957

Me too! Can any of you fast fishies (male 25-29 in my experience) explain this? Why are you grabbing our booties?

For me it hasn't been an "Pardon, I'm faster than you and am passing you a smidge too close" thing, it's been a "Honk honk! I'mma grab your booty and SQUEEZE! 3 times in a row!" type of thing. I laugh every time it happens, but have never figured it out.

A good question.  Nowhere in my swim stroke do I squeeze my hand...

2013-08-05 3:20 PM

User image

Um... If someone does that to me, he's going to find out how hard I can kick his nose.
2013-08-05 3:30 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Doesn't that pretty well explain it?  As I said in an earlier post, WAY to much testosterone if you ask me.  Stated another way - more muscle than brains.  That is the reason this thread is even being discussed.

2013-08-05 3:39 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Champion
Chicago
I'm not 25-29 but I can tell you that in the water, there's no telling whose butt I'm grabbing. I can't even tell if it's a person. A megalodon could swim into me and I'd just try to steer away from it, never knowing I could've just proved Discovery Channel's assertion correct.

2013-08-05 3:39 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
Originally posted by Left Brain
Originally posted by mrbbrad

At the Jr. Elite race....

contact means very little to some foks and it can be debilitating to other people.  It's triathlon.

There are age group racers and then there are Jr Elite racers. I think most of us are the former.

Congrats to Young Left Brain.

Eh....the statement holds true for every level....some people just don't care at all about the contact....others do.  It doesn't matter what you're racing for.  There are Elite athletes who also dislike contact.  No matter what, in a triathlon you should expect some contact.

I've never argued against contact, only against swimming completely over people.

When I did Placid there was plenty of contact. 2500 swimmers in that tight space and it's going to happen. I got kicked, swatted, etc. No big deal. But, when the same swimmer hits my feet, the next stroke hits my calf, then next stroke hits my thigh it should be very obvious to this person that there is another human being where they want to be and they should adjust accordingly. When the next stoke hit my butt it was clear to me that this person wasn't going to adjust, so I did, and it wasn't by changing my line.

Maybe it's only the really poor swimmers who can't avoid swimming over someone. 

2013-08-05 3:47 PM
in reply to: mrbbrad

User image

Pro

At the Jr. Elite race....

contact means very little to some foks and it can be debilitating to other people.  It's triathlon.

There are age group racers and then there are Jr Elite racers. I think most of us are the former.

Congrats to Young Left Brain.

Eh....the statement holds true for every level....some people just don't care at all about the contact....others do.  It doesn't matter what you're racing for.  There are Elite athletes who also dislike contact.  No matter what, in a triathlon you should expect some contact.

I've never argued against contact, only against swimming completely over people.

When I did Placid there was plenty of contact. 2500 swimmers in that tight space and it's going to happen. I got kicked, swatted, etc. No big deal. But, when the same swimmer hits my feet, the next stroke hits my calf, then next stroke hits my thigh it should be very obvious to this person that there is another human being where they want to be and they should adjust accordingly. When the next stoke hit my butt it was clear to me that this person wasn't going to adjust, so I did, and it wasn't by changing my line.

Maybe it's only the really poor swimmers who can't avoid swimming over someone. 

I don't know.....I'm not a good swimmer or a poor one.....I'm probably just a swim victim. Laughing

2013-08-05 4:12 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I got through 2 pages and got tired of reading.

Can someone clarify what "swimming over someone" is?  I have to say that people have "swam over" my legs and I have "swam over" other people's legs at times.  It that what we are talking about?  Usually it's at a 90 degree turn and everyone is bottle-necked and jammed up.  I have to swap side of someone at times just to not get hung up.  Even on a straight swim if I'm jammed up, I'll have to cross someones legs.  However, I would never intentionally try to dunk someone.

I try to avoid contact whenever possible I don't see the need to bang around.  I'm faster trying to pick a line around someone and add a couple strokes of distance than get into a scrum for a dozen strokes.

The nature of the environment makes the swim a little dangerous, so I don't see the need to exacerbate the situation with unneeded contact.

I have to admit, the breast strokers, even thought it's perfect legal, annoy me a little.  The only time I have gotten severly blasted (once in the head and once in the chest) was by someone who changed up from free style to breaststroke when I thought I had plenty of clearance.  Even when I stop to breast stroke, I tend to check my surroundings the best I can.  In fact, if needed, I'll just come to a stop, check/sight, then start rather than risk a breast stroke kick (I have super long legs).

Even with all that contact avoidance and stopping/vs breast stroke, I tend to do all right in a Tri swim.

2013-08-05 5:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
I did an ITU race in 2003 and it was the roughest swim I have ever been in... 60 guys (including the likes of Whitfield, Docherty, Kemper and even Peter Reid). It was total war and man I drew a bad starting position.
2013-08-05 5:23 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Go to a national level swim meet and watch the warm up and you will see this.

For example dont stand on the "±" at the end of the pool that is where people are supposed to turn standing there and not paying attention will mean a heel to the face.

In OW stay to the outside and don't turn tight on the bouys and you will probably be fine, but zig zagging or cutting in front of a faster swimmer is not smart. I rarely go over people in OW because I don't want to get kicked in the face but I have had zig zaggers run right into me, if I see it coming I try to adjust my angle / direction to minimize the impact but I'm not stopping because the guys behind me WILL swim over me and you. Better that you run into me stop and correct your course and move on.

2013-08-05 5:26 PM
in reply to: simpsonbo

User image

Champion
Chicago
I got elbowed in the face at IMAZ last year. Bloodied my nose but that was it. After the initial `Holy crap I broke my nose!' shock wore off, I figured the best course of action was to just put my head down and swim.
2013-08-05 5:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Urbana, MD

Underwater pace booty :-)

John
2013-08-05 10:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
First, anyone who claims that swimming over other people is always avoidable has no clue about OWS and assumes perfect swim conditions for all:

I see it just the opposite. Those who swim over others have no clue how to OWS. Swimming over people slows you down and breaks your pace. A good OW swimmer can adjust lines and keep pace.

This past weekend things got hectic in the water. Rough water conditions were a factor for many. I caught up to the swimmers in the wave before me and never had to swim over anyone. We bumped a lot, but quick adjustments and a non factor. Then I caught up to some swimmers two waves ahead of me. Same thing. Even managed to avoid the people doing breast stroke without getting kicked. Lot's of bumping but no swimming over people.

If you have to swim over somebody, you messed up some where.

2013-08-06 8:28 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
I am a strong swimmer and swim around people. Swimming over people is just plain wrong. Period. Think about, if you are swimming over someone, that means they are under you.

Where people have talked about bumping, jostling, and other contact - sure this is bound to happen in a tight space where the people are fighting for the limited space. But there are some real dicks out there and they have grabbed onto the wrong person - this has been bugging me for a while, and I am not sure of the solution but here is my chance to go off.

As mentioned, bumping and contact sure, but I have had people grab my shoulder and tried to pull. That has resulted in a shove in their direction - a well intentioned signal don't do that. The fact this has happened more than once really bothers me because for less comfortable people this is going to freak them out, and also I feel it is cheating for absolutely no reason. To be clear, out in the water you can tell the difference between contact and someone intentionally grabbing onto you (and if you have ever lifeguarded, you know the type of grabbing that comes with panic.)

The good news is this is very rare and most people are acting in a sporting fashion.

Swim. Swim your line and make a new line if need be. Don't be a dick.

Edited by cialome 2013-08-06 8:31 AM
2013-08-06 9:16 AM
in reply to: cialome

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Swim Etiquette? I didn't get swam over nor did I swim over any one in Boulder on Sunday but i did feel like I was going 12 rounds for a good deal of way. It wasn't that bad in the middle of the swim, at the start and near the finish were a brawl. Yes...Swimming is a Contact Sport.

2013-08-06 10:24 AM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

M25-29 here with 20/20 vision. i can't tell if the person im passing is guy/girl til i get parallel with them and maybe see their cap color.

im thinking the extra attention you think you are getting isn't anything more than normal contact.
2013-08-06 10:38 AM
in reply to: Clempson

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
Originally posted by Clempson

M25-29 here with 20/20 vision. i can't tell if the person im passing is guy/girl til i get parallel with them and maybe see their cap color. im thinking the extra attention you think you are getting isn't anything more than normal contact.

you need to practice sighting

2013-08-06 10:57 AM
in reply to: Clempson

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

M25-29 here with 20/20 vision. i can't tell if the person im passing is guy/girl til i get parallel with them and maybe see their cap color. im thinking the extra attention you think you are getting isn't anything more than normal contact.

So you squeeze all booties equally, male or female? 

And I squeeze right back... Innocent

2013-08-06 11:33 AM

User image

Pearland,Tx

LOL! this made my day
2013-08-07 9:33 AM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Daft article here about the new 'rules of the pool'. I thought if fit in this thread. A few mentions of Triathletes pool practicing:

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/the-swimming-blog/2013/aug/...

2013-08-08 12:12 PM
in reply to: rick4657

The swim is a contact sport especially at the buoys. Just apoligize before the swim starts and we all will forgive you. But, it slows you down when you swim over someone.

Just keep swimming!
2013-08-09 11:07 AM
in reply to: Panamared

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson
Well I'm a brand new swimmer and triathlete < 1 year.
Did my first OWS tri back in April (Olympic). It wasn't terrible but I got swam over and jostled a bit.

I just figure it's part of life. It doesn't bother me at all. I'm so new, I just figure I'm the one that does everything wrong
So go ahead swim over me...I'm just glad I'm out there and not on the couch.
2013-08-09 11:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

So you squeeze all booties equally, male or female? 

And I squeeze right back... Innocent

What happens in the M25-29 wave stays in the M25-29 wave.

2013-08-09 9:15 PM
in reply to: #4818847

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
^^^Exactly msteiner^^^
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim Etiquette? Is there really such a thing? Rss Feed  

of 6

RELATED POSTS

Things you really want to hear (Tri is good for you)

Started by BrianRunsPhilly
Views: 1053 Posts: 5

2012-05-24 6:48 AM jbrookscga78

Swim Start Etiquette..such a thing? Pages: 1 2

Started by FELTGood
Views: 2892 Posts: 35

2011-04-12 8:42 AM brucemorgan

Really really hungry after swimming? Pages: 1 2

Started by jessica71980
Views: 5523 Posts: 34

2010-01-23 9:46 PM SWIM2LIVE

Bike helmet = really good thing

Started by SevenZulu
Views: 1438 Posts: 16

2009-03-23 2:17 PM ried0428

This training thing really works!

Started by akabak
Views: 594 Posts: 2

2005-06-27 11:29 AM CLLinIA
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 18, 2011
author : garyhallsr
comments : 5
World-record swimmer gives advice on correct breathing technique

date : September 3, 2010
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Stripped of its three-figure entry fees and five figure bikes, when the gun goes off it's still a bunch of crazies doing three sports for a thousand reasons.
date : October 29, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Triathlon swim training discussions on the pull, open water swimming all year, winter swim focus, bilateral breathing during a race and Ironman swim training in 6 weeks.

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : March 17, 2008
author : randomescape
comments : 10
I first decided I was going to "do" a triathlon in 1994. It wasn't until 13 years later, in 2007 that I actually did. Why did it take me 13 years to get to the starting line? The swim!

date : September 24, 2007
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on salt tablets, AM workout nutrition, coffee, post workout nutrition, whey powder, recovery nutrition, losing weight, Recoverite usage, the necessity of sugars and snack ideas.
date : August 7, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 7
Do you see the bladder as half-full or half-empty? In this instance, it really doesn't matter how you look at it... you'd just better go.

date : November 9, 2006
author : McFuzz
How to join lap swimmers without making a splash. A primer on the social graces applied to swimming laps.