Guerneville, California
United States
Vineman, Inc.
Total Time = 15h 05m 15s
Overall Rank = 464/589
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 25/36
Pre-race routine:

When we got to the expo Friday I felt like I didn't belong. I couldn't get it through my head that I had done the training just like everyone else around me. I couldn't enjoy the expo because I was just too nervous. As expected, I didn't get much sleep the night before. I set 4 different alarms in the hotel to wake me and my family up at 4:15, but that wasn't necessary because I wasn't sleeping anyway. Got everyone up at 4 ate my oatmeal and headed out the door. Got a perfect parking spot right up front. I was able to go into the grocery store and use a normal bathroom. Also was glad the store was open because I was starting to stress about food on the bike so I bought the fixings to make a pb&j sandwich and put it in a baggy in my bike jersey. Set up my transition and waited for the start. I love getting to race in the dark. It makes me feel hard core haha but it was cold.
Swim
  • 1h 16m 56s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

I love swimming. It is my favorite part of the race. The water was warm (so much so that I had to stop at the turn around of the first loop and pull at the neck of my wetsuit to let some cooler water in) but not miserably hot. The shallow areas weren't too much of a distraction. I only had to stand up and walk around the turn around. I didn't get kicked or hit too much, but I never really felt like there were long stretches of open water where I could swim alone. The bummer was catching people in the wave ahead of me because those slower swimmers swim all wobbly and side to side and it makes it tough to get around them. There was quite a bit of sea grass under the bridge so I felt like I had hair on my face for parts of the swim. As I neared the half way point I could hear my dad, mom and kids yelling like crazy. I had to pop up and wave because I was just so stinking happy. I would swim an few strokes and then wave again like a big goofball. I could hear them for quite a bit through the swim.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I enjoyed the swim and took it easy. I knew there was a long day ahead. If I did it over, I would just take it easy again and enjoy it all over again.
Transition 1
  • 10m 10s
Comments:

I was excited to have wetsuit strippers, but honestly I think I would have gotten it off quicker if I did it myself. I never seem to have much of a problem getting out of my wetsuit. This transition was in the dirt, which was mud by the time I got to it. That kind of sucked. I had to take a long time to get the mud off my feet and out from between my toes. I didn't rush through the transition. Again, I kept reminding myself that It was going to be a long day so no need to go crazy.
Bike
  • 7h 06m 16s
  • 112 miles
  • 15.77 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike was BEAUTIFUL. Unfortunately, it was a little tough to enjoy at first because I was FREEZING. I wore my Surf City jersey zipped all the way up and my normal arm warmers. My hands didn't go numb but I had goose bumps and was at times shivering. I finally started to warm up at mile 25. I really loved the bike! There were a lot more riders all around that I thought. I loved that it was out in the wineries. I did not ever push hard (again the whole "its going to be a long day" was running through my brain). When I got to Chalk Hill I looked at my odometer because I knew that the hill was .75 of a mile long. I just slowly and steadily climbed. At the top were some spectators dressed as super heroes. They cheered that we made it and I was shocked. I yelled "This is the top? That is it?!" That hill was not anywhere near as bad as I thought. Yay! I rode with my cell phone and would send a text to my daughter every ten miles so they would know where I was and that I was okay. She would reply, but I never could read her texts. The roads were so pot holy that I couldn't ever take my eyes off the road that long. I drank my perpetuem as often as I could (every 20 minutes or so) and forced myself to grab a 1/2 of a banana at a couple aid stations. I also ate my pbj sandwich. I was so worried that I wouldn't have any gas for the run. The best thing on this ride was seeing my family. My parents were on their Harley and kept popping up at random spots along the course. My husband and kids were at other spots. I had Sniker bars in my jersey in case I needed a mental pick me up, but I never needed them. Seeing them always gave me a boost! I never felt defeated or exhausted on the bike. Someone might say that means I should have gone harder. However, I like my pace. I felt great the whole time. Why suffer? I did pee about 8 times ON THE BIKE. Yes...that is disgusting. However, I was afraid to stop and get cramped up. Plus, I was always worried about time cut offs. (I didn't realize I was already ahead of my goal time) It is hard to pee on the bike and kind of embarrassing. I tried to do it when there weren't any riders within 30 yards or so. haha.
Transition 2
  • 15m 58s
Comments:

T2 sucked! I stood there completely lost for at least 7 minutes. I knew that I had put my stuff near the changing tents, but I could NOT find my stuff. When I finally found it I went into the changing tent to completely change everything (who wants to run in pee shorts and socks all day?).

Mark my spot better!
Run
  • 6h 16m 2s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 14m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

I had been dreading this part of the race. I forced myself to not think about it on the bike, but here it was. I didn't feel overheated, but the course was UP or DOWN. There really wasn't a flat section except at the turn around. Right away I decided to walk the uphills. Within the first few miles I could feel an awful blister forming on my left foot. Weird because it was a random spot. It hurt super bad to run by mile 7. I stopped at my run special needs and put two bandaids on and it totally did the trick! I never felt it again. My pace for the first 8.5 miles averaged to 11:48 and I was happy with that. The second loop was when I started to get tired. My parents were at the turn around for the loop which helped. I knew that once I got to them I would only have about 4 miles left to begin my final loop. My amazing husband and daughter met me just before the end of the second loop and jogged next to me encouraging me. My poor hubby was in slip on shoes and has a bad knee but he never complained, just said how proud he was. By the time I started the final loop I was toast. Thankfully, nothing was in pain but everything hurt. (if that makes sense) My daughter ran the entire final loop with me. Her endless chatter drove me nuts but is what kept me going. I had nothing left in me. All I would do is whisper "jog to the pole jog to the pole jog to the pole" then "jog to the sign jog to the sign jog to the sign". haha. I wanted to lie down and sleep so bad. I saw my parents at the turn around of my last loop and I started crying and so did my dad. I swear I have the best family. At no point in the run did I feel like I would finish the run. My daughter kept reassuring me that I was so far ahead of the time cut off I could crawl the final 4 miles and still make it, but I didn't feel like it. It was pitch black. I was tired. I was cold. I wanted to be done. Finally, I saw the finish line. I WAS going to be an Ironman!

Run hills more. Train my body to not hate GU so I could have energy in the final lap.
Post race
Warm down:

Hugged my family and headed to the food area. I should have been starving because I didn't eat anything on the run. Didn't really like the food offerings, but drank the chicken noodle broth. I was freezing and didn't pose for any pics because I was just too tired.

Event comments:

I loved this race! The people (volunteers and spectators) are AMAZING. The bike course is BEAUTIFUL. Yes the bike roads kind of suck (several ejected bottles, flats, and two people 20 miles out from the finish with broken chains) but it is still worth it. If I was to do an IM again...I would do this one.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-05-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:16:56 | 4224 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 11/36
Overall: 0/589
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 10:10
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
07:06:16 | 112 miles | 15.77 mile/hr
Age Group: 19/36
Overall: 397/589
Performance:
Wind:
Course: Up and down and up and down
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 15:58
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
06:16:02 | 26.2 miles | 14m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 29/36
Overall: 523/589
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2013-08-01 2:21 PM

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
Subject: Full Vineman Triathlon

2013-08-01 3:55 PM
in reply to: #4818993

User image

Veteran
Henderson,NV
Subject: RE: Full Vineman Triathlon
Great job Saturday !!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Full Vineman Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Full Vineman Triathlon

Started by popsracer
Views: 2663 Posts: 8

2011-08-09 4:17 PM cbrave

Full Vineman Triathlon

Started by Baowolf
Views: 3246 Posts: 10

2011-08-28 10:14 AM enginerd

Full Vineman Triathlon

Started by wavedog
Views: 3090 Posts: 12

2011-08-08 10:05 PM MissKelly

Full Vineman Triathlon

Started by triOK
Views: 3437 Posts: 12

2011-08-07 12:38 AM ecpasos

Full Vineman Triathlon

Started by WillP
Views: 2536 Posts: 8

2011-08-07 10:46 AM jngai94
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 17, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 1
This program is a beginner plan to bridge you from an a Half Ironman to Ironman using a HRM with the confidence that you can complete the race without difficulty.

date : November 20, 2007
comments : 0
Executing this full Ironman plan for 17 weeks would give people with one Ironman under their belts very good preparation for a 2nd and 3rd. Preferably, you should have a 6:30 or faster HIM time.
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.
date : October 26, 2005
This Intermediate 20 week plan is a quick ramp up in overall volume, but with 20 weeks to train only, it is a gradual and safe approach because of the alternating weeks of the long run/bike.

date : October 2, 2005
author : Tri Swim Coach
Here are the top 5 challenges in learning how to breathe in freestyle, along with the remedies on how to get over theme. Includes a 2250yard/meter workout.
date : April 3, 2005
author : sherrick
comments : 19
This training plan is written to prepare you for your first Ironman. While just a beginner’s plan, the hours per week start at a significant 8 hours.

date : September 26, 2004
author : Team BT
comments : 3
Pain shows us how strong we are. After last weekend I am convinced of this. After 151 training hours of swimming, biking, and running, I flew to Sonoma County, California for the race.