General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Stomach Issues!?! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-03 8:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Subject: Stomach Issues!?!
I just finished up my last long ride before IM Louisville. I've been training since Jan. 1, and I'm feeling really good heading into the race...except for one thing, stomach issues! I'll use my long ride today as an example: 110 miles in 7 1/2 hours (it was into and then out of some pretty hilly terrain) with a 1 hour run afterward. I drank only water, and started out with Gu Roctanes every 1/2 hour for the first half of the ride. I was feeling nauseated after the first half, so I switched up to basically every hour after that. My stomach felt bloated, and I didn't really want to eat anything. I felt the same way on the run, but my whole stomach feels tense, like I'm clenching my stomach muscles. This only seems to happen when I'm going really long. It happened today, and I felt pretty similarly in Ironman Raleigh 70.3. Anyone have any suggestions? Should I take in less calories, maybe a Gu every 45 minutes of 1/2 hour? Or, is my core just weak as crap? I'm open to any and all help, thanks!

2013-08-04 8:17 AM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Stomach Issues!?!
Have you tried anything other than Roctanes? It might be that they just tend to have that effect on you in higher volume. Try something like a Stinger Waffle or Shot Blocks. Maybe you need to just eat once an hour at a higher calorie amout. Maybe you need to get some calories out of what you are drinking (my bottle of mixed Ironman Perform gives me 170 calories by its self), which would allows me to eat less, which may help. (ie, I have a bottle of Ironman Perform and a Stinger Waffle an hour, which gives me in the area of 300 calories for the hour) I would say that you need to play around with things but then again your Full is just around the corner and does not give you alot of practice time. For me, when I get similar to the way you are describing it is because I have taken in to much fluid and food. I have only completed a Half, and you have likely thought about what I said, so take it for what it's worth. Likely less than .02
2013-08-04 8:38 AM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Thanks for the suggestions. I agree that it might be too many calories from the gels, and I usually tolerate Gatorade well, but Ironman Perform is going to be the race drink, which I haven't had a chance to train with. I am thinking about trying to cut down to 1 gel/hour and see if there is some beverage-based calorie source I can use.
2013-08-04 10:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I have really liked the Perform and buy it in the powder form, which like I said per water bottle with two scopes equals out to about 170 calories. I also like the Perform powder because it is not as sweet as Gatorade or any other already bottled sports drink.
2013-08-04 7:13 PM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado

Yea try some different methods.  I shoot for 250-300 calories per hour, pretty much all by Infinite.  One bottle gets me about 260 calories.  I also add one gel about every 1:15 with water.  Are you drinking enough water?  You definitely have to chase gels with enough water to help it digest, I believe 8 oz is the recommendation.  Perpeteum, Perform, etc. are all fine as well.  You just have to figure out what works for your stomach.  You may need to add some solid food or you might just be able to tolerate liquid calories.

I would be hard pressed to take in two gels per hour for 6-7 hours but that's me.  I spread the gels out quite a bit on the bike and then I'm able to keep stomaching them during the run.

Hopefully GMAN will chime in here...

2013-08-04 8:10 PM
in reply to: FF Stock

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Yeah, I'm thinking that two Gu's/hour is just too much for me. I've ordered some Ironman Perform, trying to live off the race, so I can try that out over the next couple of weeks. Hopefully, I can focus on water, Perform, and then a Gu mixed in every 1.5-2 hours.

2013-08-04 10:52 PM

User image

Every 30 minutes is too much like you said. I have a Gu every 45 minutes on the bike and run unless I'm feeling bad, then I'll hold off the next one for 5-15 minutes but then try to get back into a 45 minute routine. You also need to drink water with them. I just did an IM with just Gatoraid, Gu(bike), Cliff Shots (run), and water. Chasing a gel with anything other than water will be ok for 1-2 times max and then I'll get that slouchy stomach feeling since there's too much sugar in my stomach. I chased it with water and then downed a bottle of Gatoraid every 45-60 minutes for the calories (on bike).
2013-08-05 1:51 PM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Originally posted by Blastman

Every 30 minutes is too much like you said. I have a Gu every 45 minutes on the bike and run unless I'm feeling bad, then I'll hold off the next one for 5-15 minutes but then try to get back into a 45 minute routine. You also need to drink water with them. I just did an IM with just Gatoraid, Gu(bike), Cliff Shots (run), and water. Chasing a gel with anything other than water will be ok for 1-2 times max and then I'll get that slouchy stomach feeling since there's too much sugar in my stomach. I chased it with water and then downed a bottle of Gatoraid every 45-60 minutes for the calories (on bike).

Thanks for the tips! I am definitely switching to the Gu at most every 45. I'd rather feel a little drained, than disgusting and bloated.
2013-08-06 8:52 AM

Ohio
Salt tablets usually help when I am getting an upset stomach or cramps. Just be sure to drink a lot of water!
2013-08-06 10:40 AM

I just used a Gu Roctane for the first time ever and had an awful experience with stomach/gi distress.
I've had great luck with HammerGels.
Hope you get it resolved before race day!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Stomach Issues!?! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

IMKY stomach issues

Started by AbbieR
Views: 1535 Posts: 22

2008-09-04 8:54 PM Steve-

Stomach cramps- what caused this?

Started by SuzanneS
Views: 1194 Posts: 14

2007-09-12 10:59 AM tjfry

Training for/coping with stomach issues?

Started by Mermaidenau
Views: 934 Posts: 2

2006-09-07 9:10 PM joannh13

stomach crunch

Started by sandyigood
Views: 770 Posts: 3

2006-08-17 4:16 AM Konabound

Stomach Cramps

Started by stannduppk
Views: 1405 Posts: 6

2006-08-01 3:02 PM hjmiii
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 0
The stomach kick swim drill is a good drill to get balanced properly in the water with your head down, legs up.

date : October 20, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
People who range from casual exercisers to competitive athletes are eating at the wrong times, choosing the wrong balance of carbohydrates, protein, and fat, and drinking too little fluids.
date : June 16, 2008
author : AMSSM
What are all these new funny-shaped saddles all about? Are they more comfortable than older designs? Will they keep me healthier so I can train on my bike longer? Should I change my saddle?

date : January 16, 2007
author : AMSSM
I suspect your nutrition and training program may have more to do with your symptoms than your Clydesdale classification.
date : June 27, 2006
Jackknife strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

Leg Pull-In strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
Crunch - Legs on Bench strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

date : March 5, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussion on tapering, treadmill workout, long run issues, insituting run/walk, surrounded by hills and knowing your LT.