Northern Palm Beach County Chamber of Commerce
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 27m 49s
Overall Rank = 222/541
Age Group = 65-69
Age Group Rank = 1/5
Pre-race routine:

Get to transition early, get body marked and set up. I left my bike the night before and had secured a decent end spot on the rack. Before I could finish setting up, some women I know needed air and I had my pump, so I went to help them out. Of course, now I run into people I know, talk a little, and next thing you know I have to rush to setup. With all that, I forgot to take my bike shoes out of my bag and clip them into my pedals...more on that later.
Event warmup:

Jog 1/2 mile down beach, easy swim out to turn buoy and back.
Swim
  • 17m 31s
  • 830 yards
  • 02m 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

I always try to stay outside the pack until the first turn, then I work my way back to the buoy line. Even with that, there was a fair amount of body contact, as the wave I was in was big.
What would you do differently?:

Work on sprinting the first 100-200 to get out in front a little. I find I end up running into people a lot in the first third of the swim and need to get ahead of that a little.
Transition 1
  • 02m 22s
Comments:

Forgot to clip in and band shoes before the race due to other distractions. Left shoes in tri bag at the end of my row. Remembered I'd forgot to do that about half way into the swim. I just ran to the bag and put on my shoes, went to my bike, helmet on, flying mount, and I was off. My rack spot was only 4 rows from the bike out, so I didn't have to run far in the shoes. Might have cost me a few seconds.

Concentrate on my "stuff" before I go helping other people out.
Bike
  • 38m 4s
  • 13 miles
  • 20.49 mile/hr
Comments:

Several areas where riders were riding 3 abreast...saw a few blocking penalties in the results.

It was only my 3rd ride on my tri bike after crashing last year and it felt a little uncomfortable. I know I can ride faster once I settle in on the bike. Really not much more I could have done.
Transition 2
  • 01m 21s
Comments:

Not too much else to do here. My rack position was at the opposite end of the run in, so I had a little congestion getting to my rack position, but nothing unusual. All in all, I felt pretty happy with the time.
Run
  • 28m 32s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

I've only been running 3 weeks after a 4 month layoff due to a heel problem. I just wanted to get through the run. I was surprised at how decent my legs felt and I think that was probably due to riding my Tri bike. I walked the 2 water stations and I think those short 20 second breaks help keep my legs somewhat alive. I'm happy with the result, as I was shooting for a 30 minute run.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of run training due to injury prior to the race.

Event comments:

I love Loggerhead and was disappointed I could not race it last year due to a bike crash 1 month prior. I spent 1 year waiting for this race and was very happy with the results. It's a hometown race with lots of people I know, so it has a special atmosphere, and who wouldn't want to swim in the warm clear ocean, bike 13 mile along the beach, and run along a palm tree lined street!!

Last updated: 2013-07-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:31 | 830 yards | 02m 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/5
Overall: 0/541
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Out from beach, left turn for 1/2 mile and then turn back to beach. The swim was longer than advertised, but condition were near perfect.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:22
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:38:04 | 13 miles | 20.49 mile/hr
Wind: Some
Course: Double loop on flat course along the beach. It had rained earlier and the roads were wet, so turns had to be taken easy.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 88
Turns: Below average Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:21
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:28:32 | 03.1 miles | 09m 12s  min/mile
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-08-04 6:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Jupiter, FL
Subject: Loggerhead Triathlon

2013-08-04 5:19 PM
in reply to: #4820568

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Loggerhead Triathlon
Congratulations! I was there too and thought the swim was long, but wasn't sure. It's nice to know my swim time wasn't as bad as I thought. I love this race, but this year they had some serious timing issues - they don't even have my time at all and others I know have really messed up times. Still, it is a fun race and I look forward to racing again next year. Once again, congratulations on a good race !
2013-08-08 1:06 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Veteran
Jupiter, FL
Subject: RE: Loggerhead Triathlon
I was one of the lucky ones who didn't have a timing problem, but I know several of my friends did. I think they messed up in placing some people in different waves than they should have been in. Regardless, it is a fun race that I look forward to each year.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Loggerhead Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

20th Anniversary Loggerhead Triathlon

Started by icafunding
Views: 1639 Posts: 2

2006-08-14 1:56 PM MomX3

20th Anniversary Loggerhead Triathlon

Started by edwardskrod
Views: 1451 Posts: 1

2006-08-14 9:39 AM edwardskrod

Little Loggerhead Triathlon

Started by GKL
Views: 1230 Posts: 8

2006-08-02 7:32 AM katiefrog15

Loggerhead Triathlon

Started by snikpos
Views: 1120 Posts: 8

2004-08-28 5:32 PM keepitup

Loggerhead Triathlon

Started by cameronw
Views: 1411 Posts: 9

2004-08-23 11:05 PM snikpos
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.

date : January 25, 2012
author : trmat79
comments : 1
The next thing you know it is time for bed and another workout day has passed. This is where the heart comes in.
date : November 29, 2011
author : trmat79
comments : 2
A story about the motivation to overcome everyday challenges

date : October 4, 2011
author : MikeyT1298
comments : 6
First time triathlete conquers swim struggle and finishes at the front of the pack
date : August 8, 2011
author : Gina60
comments : 16
I can't run a seven-minute mile anymore, but that doesn't take away from the joy of finishing

date : June 27, 2011
author : pyroman1_1
comments : 3
Lake Havasu Tri 3/19/2011
date : May 26, 2011
author : gdsemiller
comments : 14
Towards the end of December 2010 both my daughter and son came up to me and said “Daddy we want you to get healthy and not die."

date : April 27, 2011
author : brumby11
comments : 5
An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon