General Discussion Triathlon Talk » BE IRON FIT and just to finish a 70.3 Galveston Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-04 12:41 PM

Subject: BE IRON FIT and just to finish a 70.3 Galveston
I have the book Be IronFit, and I am going to be doing my first HIM in April 2014 in Galveston. I havent done a triathlon in almost 2 years since I shattered my elbow last summer (fell off the bike during training), but I have been doing half marathons and marathons. Just started swimming a few weeks ago 2x a week at 1200-1600 meters each session. I've been running 2-3x a week total of 14-18 miles per week and building (I am also training for half marathons in Oct, Nov, and Dec). I've been on the bike trainer for the most of the time doing interval training and planning on going out on the road soon. Anyone have any luck on the just finish program to finishing the HIM especially on the bike? The run and swim I can increase the volume since the workouts for those don't take very long, but the bike is what takes so long, and just like a lot of people I'm pressed for time since I work. I'm not trying to do a stellar performance for my first HIM. I just want to finish it, and for my next one, I will think about doing better.

2013-08-04 4:10 PM
in reply to: rgvrunner26.2

User image

Subject: RE: BE IRON FIT and just to finish a 70.3 Galveston
My longest ride before my first HIM was about 40 miles in 2.5 hours (with traffic). 90% + of my training was on a spinner at the Y (I've got a herd of kids). The bike leg was no problem, although my neck was very sore the last hour or so and I was pretty glad to get off that thing. 3 hours 10 min.
2013-08-04 5:15 PM

User image

Master
Central Indiana
I used that book to train for B2B 140.6 a couple yrs ago using intermediate plan (plus a bit extra). I found it prepared me very well (13:14 inc 15+min to repair bad flat on the bike).
If you have some past long-biking experience (say 40+mi rides) you should do fine logging quality bike time on indoor trainer then getting in a few long rides next spring. But with your 2 yr layoff from riding, I would still make every effort to get in at least 2-3 50mi (2:30+ time) rides within 4-10wks of your HIM. Even just 1 would be helpful, if only for your confident & to make sure you've got the bike dialed in (fit, mechanicals).

Good luck, and stay safe training!
2013-08-04 6:50 PM

We are on similar tracks although I think you are likely well ahead of me from a fitness standpoint. I am also planning to use Be Iron fit and Galveston 70.3 will be my first HIM.

I have half marathons planned for Oct and Nov and then my first full marathon planned for Mar 2, 2014. My HIM goal will be to just finish as I will likely be doing 2 more next year and then full IM will be either late 2014 or Texas in 2015..

I have finished the following over the last 12 months:
1 Century bike ride, not really a race but it was plenty hard
1 Half Marathon
1 Olympic Triathlon
2 Olympic Duathlon
4 Sprint Tri/Du and several 5/10ks

I really suck at swimming though and my Olympic time was really bad so I have a long ways to go.

2014-05-21 8:33 AM
in reply to: wirechild

User image

I am thinking of using the Be Iron Fit Intermediate plan for my full IMFL? Anyone have any insight? Did you like it after you got into it? Too much, too little, etc. I know everyone is so different. I have been using Matt Fitzgerald's guide for 2 years (Olympic and HIM distances) and I like his plans but I am sort of bored with it and want to do something different for awhile. Thoughts?

I don't want to "Just Finish" but I also don't plan to do GREAT. I want to be under 15 hours, smiling, and enjoying the moment (well, for the most part).

Thanks!
2014-05-21 3:15 PM
in reply to: midwesttrimom

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY
Originally posted by midwesttrimom

I am thinking of using the Be Iron Fit Intermediate plan for my full IMFL? Anyone have any insight? Did you like it after you got into it? Too much, too little, etc. I know everyone is so different. I have been using Matt Fitzgerald's guide for 2 years (Olympic and HIM distances) and I like his plans but I am sort of bored with it and want to do something different for awhile. Thoughts?

I don't want to "Just Finish" but I also don't plan to do GREAT. I want to be under 15 hours, smiling, and enjoying the moment (well, for the most part).

Thanks!
[/QUOTE

I did a hybrid. Iron fit intermediate plan for IM Lake Placid in 2012 and went 11:25
I loved it very manageable

2014-05-29 6:37 AM
in reply to: triguy1043

User image

Originally posted by triguy1043

Thanks!
[/QUOTE

I did a hybrid. Iron fit intermediate plan for IM Lake Placid in 2012 and went 11:25
I loved it very manageable

What do you mean by hybrid?The plan looks manageable but I am concerned about the long bike on Saturday and the long run on Sunday. I typically like to follow a plan where I take only Sunday off for family time. Therefore, I was planning to run long on Thursdays or Saturdays (every other week) and do the long bike ride on those days on the opposite weeks. Does that make sense? My concern is that the plan is created with that run following the bike the next day strategically. Thoughts? I have to be creative with 3 kids and I don't like miss Church on Sundays and enjoy one day when I can make breakfast for everyone!
2014-05-29 7:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Most coaches or training plans worth anything nowaday separate the long run and long bike with the long run usually happening on Wed or Thurs.

I thought the guys at Endurance Nation articulated it well...

http://www.endurancenation.us/blog/training/stop-running-long-on-sunday/

2014-05-29 10:00 AM

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
Be Iron Fit long rides and long runs are plugged into Saturdays and Sundays for time management purposes. Most people have more time available fo these on weekends. The worouts in the plan are very regular, so there shouldn't be any problem shifting around the weekly schedules to accomodate the long runs on whatever day is more convenient for you.
2014-05-30 12:54 PM
in reply to: g_shotts

User image

Thanks for the last two comments. Will read that article. I have heard that, too! I am busier on the weekends than during the week due to tournament softball (husband is a coach and gone basically 12 hours both of those days), leaving me with two younger kids.
My weekday mornings will start at 4:40 and go until 9:30/10 AM and then I will be with the kids the rest of the day. Luckily, my oldest
has just reached an age that she can stay home for a few hours early in the AM with the younger two! Going to be a good summer! )
Appreciate the feedback!
2014-06-11 12:17 PM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Originally posted by GMAN 19030

Most coaches or training plans worth anything nowaday separate the long run and long bike with the long run usually happening on Wed or Thurs.

Enjoyed this article. I am going to follow the Be Iron Fit plan, but I am going to move my long run away from the long bike. Thinking 1-2 days in
between should be suffice. May rotate them each week so one week I run long on a Thursday and the next week it's a Sat. So far the runs
are not very long anyway. Typically, I will do over an hour 3-4 days a week.

2014-06-24 9:37 PM

User image

Originally posted by GMAN 19030

Enjoyed this article. I am going to follow the Be Iron Fit plan, but I am going to move my long run away from the long bike. Thinking 1-2 days in
between should be suffice. May rotate them each week so one week I run long on a Thursday and the next week it's a Sat. So far the runs
are not very long anyway. Typically, I will do over an hour 3-4 days a week.

I think I am going to do the advanced plan. Did anyone else find that even the advanced plan in this "Be Iron Fit" book seems completely manageable? I guess that's the point. They do require a lot of shorter bricks. I haven't normally done a lot of those for my other race distances. Did anyone cut some of those out and increase bike mileage/run mileage instead? The swim workouts are good. I am 11 weeks into the program
this week. Have used a different plan in prep for a HIM up until last week. This plan is much easier than the Fitzgerald (Triathlete's Magazine book) plans I have been using over the last couple of years. How is the training going for those of you currently using the plan?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » BE IRON FIT and just to finish a 70.3 Galveston Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 Texas Galveston Lodging

Started by mditfurth
Views: 2535 Posts: 5

2013-06-20 10:30 PM jmk-brooklyn

Ironman Galveston 70.3 Race Report

Started by six_cubes
Views: 928 Posts: 1

2013-04-12 7:15 AM six_cubes

Ironman 70.3 Galveston

Started by lavelasco1015
Views: 3875 Posts: 5

2012-01-07 5:32 PM KathyG

Incredible Finishing Kick shot of Cali 70.3.....

Started by ChrisM
Views: 1530 Posts: 9

2008-03-31 9:04 AM mixie

Iron Man 70.3 - what's 70.3?

Started by TriathleteNut
Views: 1355 Posts: 4

2006-02-27 7:07 PM TH3_FRB
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.

date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.
date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : April 14, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
The bike fitters at Fit Werx talk about all the components of a triathlon bike fit and how it relates to aerodynamics and the individual.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.