General Discussion Triathlon Talk » irongirl aug 24th versus Boulder Sunset Aug 31 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-05 12:52 AM

User image

Subject: irongirl aug 24th versus Boulder Sunset Aug 31
Have any of you done either of these races?
I just did my first tri today and had so much fun i want to do another. Probably just another sprint, although at the Boulder i would have the option to do the olympic, I used to be a swimmer, but i'm training for Berlin marathon which needs to be more my focus right now, so not really concerned about the longer swim distance but not sure i want to do that without training much for it.
Also I think it would be fun to do a tri with both men and women, and the Irongirl one is just women, although, that is nice in its own way as well.
I think I did okay it being my first tri.
Is the Boulder one really competitive?
I liked the tri for the cure I did today, because I run/bike in Cherry creek anyways. So it was familiar territory. Its nice when you've already biked/run the area and have a general idea of distance. With Boulder I will have no clue!

Also the Boulder Sunset, says wetsuits recommended. Today I swam without a wetsuit and really don't want to have to rent/buy one. Will it really be cold in boulder at the end of August? The water was 75-80F today at cherry creek and not cold at all.

Any recommendations for one versus the other would be great!
I'd like to sign up soon!

This is my time for today, I felt like I did pretty good for it being my first. I would have swam faster but I didn't practice the swim except i did go to an open water swim at Grants ranch once beforehand.

OVERALL PLACE
of 1497
PACE
00:09:11
mins/mile
DIVISION
30-34
SWIM
00:17:14
SWIMRANK
BIKE
00:39:33
BIKERANK
MPH
RUNRANK
RUN
00:28:29
DIVPL

2013-08-05 9:24 AM
in reply to: marathongirl21

User image

Denver
Subject: RE: irongirl aug 24th versus Boulder Sunset Aug 31
I am glad that you enjoyed your first triathlon!

I have raced both the Boulder Sunrise and Boulder Sunset (ran by the same group) and in regards to your concern about it being super competitive I would say that is not a big worry. Yes, there is a set of folks that will be fast and competitive, that is the case with any race in Boulder, the charity focus of this race as well as the varying distances allow for a very fun and easy going atmosphere. My church actually put together a bunch of folks to do it last year and there were a lot of first timers coming out of that group. I do think that the bike for the sprint (not 100% sure, I have only done the olympic) is a bit longer than most sprints so you might want to check that out.

The water at Boulder res in late August should be cooler than what you just swam in due to the nights getting a little cooler, but I don't think you will freeze without a wetsuit that time of year. I know that it was pretty warm for the 70.3 yesterday. If you are concerned about it you can always rent a wetsuit for the race.

I hope that helps a little.

Additionally - you can also checkout the Rattlesnake Triathlon (it is mid-august) at Aurora Reservoir or the Oktoberfest which is in later September in Longmont. Both are great races. The Rattlesnake has a time trial start so you go off one right after the other as opposed to starting in a larger group (swim is also only 500M).

Hope that helps a little.
2013-08-07 4:22 PM
in reply to: saturdaygolfer

User image

I just received an email this afternoon about some other races in August and September. They look pretty good. With the 70.3 behind me, I think I may head out to the Fruita race as a cap to my season. Here's the link http://racingunderground.com/August13_MS_Email.html
2013-08-07 11:27 PM
in reply to: marathongirl21

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
I will be doing the Sunset Olympic this year. I did the sprint a couple of years back and it was actually postponed a couple of weeks due to a forest fire near Boulder. Even though it was late September that year, the weather was hot! I've swam in Boulder with and without a wet suit. I don't think that it would be a necessity at the end of August. I also think that you will find the water in Boulder a bit nicer to swim in than at Cherry Creek. Whatever you decide, welcome to the world of Triathlon and good luck with your next race!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » irongirl aug 24th versus Boulder Sunset Aug 31 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Is Boulder Sunset a good race?

Started by trumpeter
Views: 989 Posts: 9

2011-06-08 9:26 PM tedjohn

Friday, December 31 Pages: 1 2

Started by triOK
Views: 3874 Posts: 48

2011-01-01 9:04 AM syscrash

Boulder Sunset Triathlons Postponed!

Started by FF Stock
Views: 2879 Posts: 18

2010-09-20 9:47 PM FF Stock

Boulder Sunset Sprint Triathlon : Official Thread

Started by live2swim
Views: 1730 Posts: 8

2010-09-08 9:51 PM robingray_260

Gravel Pond Aug 30

Started by kilo_dave
Views: 934 Posts: 2

2008-08-31 1:49 PM Colomingle
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 14, 2010
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
A review of the Shimano 105 vesus SRAM Rival Time Trial component group differences.

date : October 20, 2008
author : AndriaLL
comments : 1
It was literally seconds after I started swimming that I felt the tightness in my chest. I couldn’t get a deep breath in due to the tightness of my wetsuit. I was being strangled by my wetsuit...
date : September 3, 2005
author : infosteward
comments : 0
The Boulder Peak bike course is legendary. It is, literally and named as such, one of the toughest bike legs in the country.