General Discussion Race Reports! » Icelandic Championships Olympic Distance 2013 - La Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Icelandic Championships Olympic Distance 2013 - La - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Laugarvatn, Arnessysla
IS
10C / 50F
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 54m 45s
Overall Rank = 3/5
Age Group = F18-39
Age Group Rank = 2/2
Pre-race routine:

Pre-Race

This TRI was supposed to be held in a different location and with an ocean swim but as the weather has not been that good in the last few weeks they forecasted that the ocean would not heat up above 51F and they did not want to hold a 1500m swim in temps lower than that.
So 12 days before they decided first to move it to two weeks later but of course there were a lot of unhappy people about that as many had planned this in on this date and had plans or where not available on the other date so they decided to keep the date but move the race to another location which included a lake swim. It would be the first time that a TRI with a lake swim would be held in Iceland.

It was about an hour drive from the city and we left early enough to be there around 1 hour and 15 min before the race. The weather forecast had promised sun all week long and the day before the race it was gorgeous according to the race organiser so we were happy about that especially as it was raining in the city when we left.
But when we got closer and closer we realised that the weather forcast was once again not right as it was low clouds and drizzle when we got there with temps around 10C (51F) but there was hardl any wind which was nice as well. The mood was not the best when we arrived due to the weather but changed a little while later. I set up transition and then biked the run course ( the paved part) as a short warm-up. After that it was already time to get in the wetsuit.
Swim
  • 32m 46s
  • 1750 meters
  • 01m 52s / 100 meters
Comments:

It was an in water start so everyone walked from the shore into the lake to the first buoy and even at the buoy we could still stand stand. Water went just to about the waist. Water temperature was probably about 14-16C ( estimate), it was definitely warmer than the ocean but not warm-warm. I triedto stay afloat as I did not want to put my feet down in the muddy ground but that did not work for long so I was brave and lut them down. When then gun went off I started quite easy and found some feet to draft right away. It was a three laps course around 3 buoys. The water was not warm but not nearly as cold as the ocean so I had no problems with that. Some places were also bit warmer than others. I tried to draft the person in front of me for the whole first lap but it got quite frustrating and she was not swimming straight. Several times I though if it might make sense to just overtake her and then maybe gain 10 secs but loose the energy and not drafting so for that point I decided to stay behind her or to her side. She acually swam into me several times as well when I was a bit in front of her, thats how much she was zickzacking... After two laps her pace dropped a bit and I also had enough so I overtook her and made it all the way to the person which was 20m in front of her and then I drafted him for the rest of the time. The pace felt comfortable the entire time and I did not feel my shoulder once which really surprised me.
At the end I tried to swim as long as possible as the lake exit was really stony and hard to get out. When I finally stood up the water was only to my mid calves lol
Swim turned out to be a lot longer as the buyos moved over night. Estimate is 1700-1800m which explains the swim time.
Transition 1
  • 01m 21s
Comments:

It took a bit to get out of the lake and then it was a run up on grass to get to transition. Took my wetsuit half off while running up. Once in transition it took me a bit to get it off completely. Glasses on, helmet on, shoes on (decided not to have them on the bike as it was only about 100m after transition before an uphill started and I was not sure if I had enough time to get in them before the hill) and off I went....jumped on the bike and went up the hill with a weird feeling and suddenly once almost up it hit me that I forgot my number....its usually always the first thing that I put on in transition and I had put it on top of my helmet but it had blown/fallen off durinf the swim so I did not see it....so I went down the hill again, got off my bike, got the number and up the hill once again. I was not even mad at myself about it as I just simply was not in a rush and I was just thankful that I found it out so early and was able to go back and get it.....
Bike
  • 1h 23m 52s
  • 40 kms
  • 28.62 km/hr
Comments:

Once up the hill I was finally on the road and could pick up the speed. During transition someone said I was the second woman out of the water ( and one passed me in transition then) which surprised me as there was one girl that swims a lot faster and also bikes faster. So knowing she was behind me I kept expecting her to overtake me any minute...it was still raining at the start of the bike for wind was almost nin existant which is very race for Iceland I definitely enjoyed it. I was just in my Tri-Pants and Tri-Top but grabbed arm warmers in transition which was good as I was freezing on the bike pretty much the entire time. The first turnaround came after 7km and the other girl had still not passed me and I wondered if she stopped as I had swim in the ocean with er 2 days earlier and she had a tough time with the cold and got something like an asthma attack. I know that after the turnaround I would know if she stopped or not if I did not see her. I did not see her and at that time I knew i was solid in Third and no one could take that from me....I think I probably slowed down a bit after and not pushing as hard on the bike as I could...but after all I also still had 10km to run afterwards and it has been a while at I did that due to the 6 weeks break! After 14 km I got back into town and then had another 13 km out and back left. I did not know the course so did not know what to expect. I only knew I had a slight headwind going out and would have tailwind for the last 13km which was a nice thought but as mentioned the wind was almost non existing....maybe 5-8mph or so.
The outcourse had some rolling hills and I made sure I drank something on the uphills and also had some squeezy chews to get some energy in as I knew my race time would be close to 3 hours and that is even too much for me to go without any nutrition. Had only one water bottle on the bike though and I did not even finish that. I was never really thirsty as it was so cold.
After about 26km I started to get seriously worried about my toes as they were completely numb and frozen...I always bike without socks so of course that did not help with the cold. I tried to wiggle them but I could not....not a good feeling! The last turnaround came and from then on it was just 13km back.
I was surprised how much I was able to stay aero without much training on that part. Was aero probably 95% of the time! Just went on the hood for a few seconds here and there to stretch out and of course during the turns.
Came into town again and down the hill and opened my shoes on the downhill but I just simply could not get my feet out....there were like frozen in there. So I got off the bike with open bike shoes....
Transition 2
  • 01m 41s
Comments:

Ran or rather stumbled into T2 as my toes were completely frohen and my feet were numb. It took forever to get my socks on but I knew I needed them for a 10K run. Looking at the times I had the slowest T2 time of all and it was far more than the second slowest. Not really sure what I did...
Run
  • 55m 4s
  • 10 kms
  • 05m 31s  min/km
Comments:

I started running and the feet were numb as usual. Started up the first short uphill and tried to find a rythm and realised at the same time that I really had to pee. There were some bushes after around 500m so I stopped and peed. Felt a lot better after that. It was a three laps course and the first part of the lap started with an uphill section, then a long slight incline followed by a downhill and then the last part was not paved over gravel where I kept thinking: " Don't fall, don't fall" ;). Then the first lap was over and we ran by the transition area and all the people were cheering which was nice. My husband had just finished when I came by after my first lap so I got a smile and cheer from him too and he reminded me to smile which I did. Second lap I knew what to expect. I took it easy up the hill and increased the speed a bit downhill and on the straight. At some point I looked at my Garmin to see my HR as I was wearing a HRM for the first time and was surprised to see numbers in the low 150 range only. I guess I was not working as hard as I thought but as it was a long run and I had only been back in training I decided to just keep running by feel. In the third lap the hill got a little tough and I slowed down quite a bit but I knew once up I only had a bit left and I would be done. 1,5km before the finish I started to think about the fact of why I was able to do this race today and I started to tear up and had a tough time breathing so I tried to force the though out of my head and thought about London instead which helped! The last km I increased the pace and could not believe that I really finished this race without too much effort and only on 2 weeks of solid training!
Post race
Warm down:

Once I finished I found out that I got third because from the 5 women that started only three finished so I got third OA in the Icelandic Championships and 2nd in my AG. Pretty cool somehow.
Had a small meltdown after the finished and cried for a few minutes but then everything was OK again and I got to enjoy the after food and the medal ceremony followed by a Hot Pot session in the nearby pool which was much needed as I was sooo cold!

All in all a good race considering the circumstances and I finished in 2:5xxxx which is only xx minutes from my PB so not too bad...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

6 weeks of forced rest and only 2 weeks of training before this race.

Last updated: 2013-06-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:46 | 1750 meters | 01m 52s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/2
Overall: 2/5
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: 3 laps around 4 buyos.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:21
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:23:52 | 40 kms | 28.62 km/hr
Age Group: 2/2
Overall: 3/5
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back and out and back.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:41
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:55:04 | 10 kms | 05m 31s  min/km
Age Group: 2/2
Overall: 3/5
Performance: Good
Course: 3 laps of 3,3km.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2013-08-05 7:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Iceland
Subject: Icelandic Championships Olympic Distance 2013 - La
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Icelandic Championships Olympic Distance 2013 - La Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Hveragerdi TRI -Icelandic Championships Olympic Distance

Started by Joblin
Views: 405 Posts: 1

2012-06-02 1:23 PM Joblin

LA Tri Series #3 - Championship Distance

Started by waupaca11
Views: 1072 Posts: 2

2011-06-12 7:30 PM jezzieswims

LA Tri Series #2 - Championship Distance

Started by jezzieswims
Views: 1256 Posts: 4

2011-05-17 12:40 PM bzgl40

Started by jenputnam
Views: 1234 Posts: 3

2011-05-16 9:09 AM JulDee

Started by waupaca11
Views: 926 Posts: 1

2011-05-14 6:53 PM waupaca11
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 4, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 5
I really want to do an Olympic distance but I feel it is a little too far right now. Which training plan should I follow? The sprint sounds too easy for what I'm doing but the Olympic seems too much?

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).
date : September 3, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on getting faster than 1:35/100m, IM swim training, counting strokes and improving an Olympic distance swim.

date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : August 7, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 3
After your first triathlon, how many days off should you take to rest? How should you start your training again?

date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Keep in mind that the taper period is as important to your body as all of the long hours you’ve put in the pool, on the bike and on the road. It is meant to help you rest, recover and rejuvenate.
date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
A 26 week, 6 race series plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.

date : September 10, 2004
author : Team BT
History of the triathlon and distances.