General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Open water w/ wetsuit vs pool w/o wetsuit pace Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-05 9:54 AM

Subject: Open water w/ wetsuit vs pool w/o wetsuit pace
So when i do my training sessions in the pool, i swim about a 1:32/100 pace. i just started doing about 1 session a week in open water w/ a wetsuit and the past few open water sessions (and a 2 mile swim only race yesterday), i swam about a 1:44/100 pace. these paces have been taken from my garmin. i know the open water is ocean swimming so i will lose some time due to slight currents, swell, etc...but i have done a few swims in a protected bay off the ocean and averaged the same OW pace. my question is, is this sound about average to lose this much pace? i didn't think there would be that big of a difference. will my pace increase if i swim in my wetsuit more to get more acclimated to it again? i know swimming the same pace in a pool and OW will never be the same due to so many differences between the two and also wetsuit vs non are never going to be the same either but i didn't expect this much of a change. just trying to see the difference in pace time that others have noticed between the two to see if i am maybe doing something that is affecting my pace.

2013-08-05 10:39 AM
in reply to: weiky

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Subject: RE: Open water w/ wetsuit vs pool w/o wetsuit pace
In my experience, I'm faster in OWS than in the pool, and it's entirely the wetsuit. I find currents for the most part negate each other or help, meaning whatever is against you swimming into it will be for you coming back, or the current is with you the whole time. Sighting is HUGE, you can lose minutes off your time from swimming off course. Personally it took me a while to get into the habit of sighting every 6 or so strokes. I used to just sight off the body to my left or right as I breathed, but I got burned one too many times by that guy not holding a good line, probably because he was doing the same thing! My best splits are always when I go out with the mentality that everyone is sighting wrong and I'm right. It's not too far off from reality unless you're the FOP (which I'm not...yet! haha!).

I doubt you're losing anything with the wetsuit, that's counter to what most folks experience. Better swimmers experience less help from a wetsuit, but there's still *some* speed pickup. More novice swimmers receive a much bigger boost in speed.
2013-08-05 11:19 AM
in reply to: fisherman76

User image

Exton, PA
Take a tape measure to your pool and measure it, it's probably short! Pools are not as accurate as people think they are. When I was a competitive swimmer we used to refer to them as fast pools.

Also were you swimming the same distance inside as you were outside?

Having a 1:30/100 pace for 400 yards is not the same as having a 1:30/100 pace for 1.2 miles.
2013-08-05 11:21 AM
in reply to: fisherman76

thanks, i thought the wetsuit would help some and it seems to be hindering me, that i why i posted. I site about every 6-10 strokes and can usually swim and pretty straight line so that is not a worry. i have lost about 15lbs and now occasionally feel some cold water down my neck, etc...so i am wondering if my wetsuit to is too big now....
2013-08-05 11:40 AM
in reply to: weiky

User image

Extreme Veteran
Urbana, MD
I swam 1:53 for my 200 repeats a few weeks ago and averaged 1:53 (both per my Garmin) for the 1500 swim at my Tri this weekend. That's never happened before, but it was amusing considering the topic.

A couple of things to remember though:

1. A wetsuit helps most with poor body position, so if your body position in the pool is reasonable (at 1:30/100 it can't be too bad), the wetsuit will be less helpful.
2. In a pool - particularly a short pool - you'll have a push off the wall that gives you a pretty good jump every 25-50 yards. That speeds up your time relative to OWS.

So the answer, as always, is it depends.

John
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Open water w/ wetsuit vs pool w/o wetsuit pace Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Pool swim vs open water swim w/ wetsuit

Started by 3forcarter
Views: 4219 Posts: 18

2011-06-10 2:14 PM crmorton

wetsuit in fresh water vs no wetsuit in salt water

Started by zionvier
Views: 1059 Posts: 1

2009-08-31 1:23 PM zionvier

Pool vs Open Water Pace Difference

Started by CoachTy
Views: 5228 Posts: 19

2008-12-09 7:37 PM E=H2O

Pool vs Open Water

Started by LCT
Views: 1712 Posts: 25

2005-10-18 11:44 AM LCT

Pool Time vs Open Water Time- Your time comparisons

Started by jerry
Views: 1256 Posts: 5

2005-04-01 4:22 PM CLLinIA
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 24, 2012
comments : 1
Your wetsuit is a substantial investment, and proper care will extend its life considerably.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : February 4, 2010
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Learn about the different styles of triathlon wetsuits, how to choose one and why it is beneficial to have one.

date : November 17, 2008
author : Ontherun
In part 3 of this series on mid-range fullsuits, we review the Neo Sport Sprint fullsuit for comfort, warmth, buoyancy and performance.
date : September 3, 2008
author : Ontherun
The first video in this series will go through some wetsuit basics: what is a triathlon wetsuit, different styles, rules for racing with a wetsuit and wetsuit care and fit.

date : August 20, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
I'm doing my first tri Saturday. It starts at 7 AM and the forecast is calling for a high of 82 (air temp). Do I need to rush out and get a wetsuit?
date : July 7, 2008
author : Ron
This is a 'first impressions' review of the Fit2Race Sockeye Fullsuit. From a first wetsuit point-of-view, I was able to dramatically improve my pace over non-wetsuit swims.

date : June 6, 2006
author : marmadaddy
The DVD assumes little-to-no experience with competitive swimming and starts off in the pool citing the need to build confidence in a controlled environment.