Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-08-06 3:35 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: RE: Johnny....

I'm about as excited to hear more about Johnny as I am to hear more about A-rod...  PLEASE let something cool in sports happen to put this crap on the back page.

Sportscasting during the NFL offseason is like like BT in the off season or CoJ in an non election year.  Filler.  They are notable stories, but with nothing else to talk about, they sure spend a lot of time talking about it.

2013-08-07 8:00 AM

User image

Expert
If it is proven he did indeed take the money then he has screwed up and should accept the punishment like a man. However one can't help but choke on the irony that this article spells out.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/johnny-manziel-t-pr...

2013-08-07 9:01 AM
in reply to: dsand97

User image

Pro

Originally posted by dsand97 If it is proven he did indeed take the money then he has screwed up and should accept the punishment like a man. However one can't help but choke on the irony that this article spells out. http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/johnny-manziel-t-pr...

Yeah, the NCAA can make money from a player's name....but the player can't make any from his own name.....it's all crap.

2013-08-07 9:10 AM
in reply to: bradleyd3

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Originally posted by bradleyd3

First Aggie fan, that I've come in contact with, that hasn't blamed everyone but him or his family......and that isn't defending him. Well done.

Consider me the second one, then.
When JFF whined about the ticket he got for parking the wrong way and blamed the Aggie community, I had my fill of this guy.

I'm tired of the "he's a young college student" excuse. I have not heard of any of the gold medal winning gymnasts who are even younger loading up on stupid activities. LeBron James was 19 when he hit the NBA. He did not make headlines with stupid behaviors.

JFF, welcome to a short lived career in Arena Football.

2013-08-07 9:14 AM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by dsand97 If it is proven he did indeed take the money then he has screwed up and should accept the punishment like a man. However one can't help but choke on the irony that this article spells out. http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/johnny-manziel-t-pr...

Yeah, the NCAA can make money from a player's name....but the player can't make any from his own name.....it's all crap.

Whether the rule/policy is crap or not.....it's still a rule.

I don't like the seat belt law, but if I get pulled over breaking a law, then I pay the consequence.

My HOA has a policy that I can't keep my trash cans outside and if I want to build a deck, I have to get approval. Both are dumb but I risk consequences by not following policy.

Regardless of what the rules state....it's a rule. It's been that way forever.
2013-08-07 9:18 AM
in reply to: bradleyd3

User image

Pro

Whether the rule/policy is crap or not.....it's still a rule. I don't like the seat belt law, but if I get pulled over breaking a law, then I pay the consequence. My HOA has a policy that I can't keep my trash cans outside and if I want to build a deck, I have to get approval. Both are dumb but I risk consequences by not following policy. Regardless of what the rules state....it's a rule. It's been that way forever.

I agree with that 100%......and I'm not a fan of the way the kid acts....but it's about time for the NCAA to let these kids make some money.  Hell, everyone else is making money off of them.

2013-08-09 11:50 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago
Johnny Football. The New Rosa Parks:

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/johnny-manziel-case-...

I don't really even know what to say. Comparing Johnny Manziel to Rosa Parks is ... well it's stunning, to say the least.
2013-08-09 12:53 PM
in reply to: mr2tony

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
Originally posted by mr2tony

Johnny Football. The New Rosa Parks:

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/johnny-manziel-case-...

I don't really even know what to say. Comparing Johnny Manziel to Rosa Parks is ... well it's stunning, to say the least.

Quite possibly the worst article I've ever read.....and I read all of Tony's releases he does.

Let's take everything that everyone's been saying over the past week, condense it down into a few paragraphs, toss in some racism, and get it published.

2013-08-09 1:01 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Whether the rule/policy is crap or not.....it's still a rule. I don't like the seat belt law, but if I get pulled over breaking a law, then I pay the consequence. My HOA has a policy that I can't keep my trash cans outside and if I want to build a deck, I have to get approval. Both are dumb but I risk consequences by not following policy. Regardless of what the rules state....it's a rule. It's been that way forever.

I agree with that 100%......and I'm not a fan of the way the kid acts....but it's about time for the NCAA to let these kids make some money.  Hell, everyone else is making money off of them.

free college education, free room and board, free meals, free tutors, free clothing, free shoes, free equipment, free books...

Yeah let's give them more stuff.

2013-08-09 1:40 PM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Champion
Chicago
Originally posted by jford2309

free college education, free room and board, free meals, free tutors, free clothing, free shoes, free equipment, free books...

Bingo. It's not like they're getting nothing to play ball. They're getting a free college education, in many cases. At some schools, that's worth a TON of money. And think about what it does for future earning potential. We already have a professional football league, why do we need another one?
2013-08-09 1:54 PM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis

Bingo. It's not like they're getting nothing to play ball. They're getting a free college education, in many cases. At some schools, that's worth a TON of money. And think about what it does for future earning potential. We already have a professional football league, why do we need another one?

Yeah, but they're only getting communication majors.  That's worth, what like $800?

2013-08-09 4:02 PM
in reply to: kevin_trapp

User image

Pro
They aren't getting a damn thing for free.  They make the universities they attend exponentially more money then their education costs.  If they didn't, there would be no scholarships. Maybe an education was enough 20 years ago.....but their jersey's, etc. are worth millions today....and colleges are raking in money from their talents.  It's garbage.  Pay them.
2013-08-09 4:22 PM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Instead of paying college players, why not just give them the option to go to the NFL or NBA right out of high school (or before)?  

2013-08-09 4:25 PM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Pro
Originally posted by Hook'em

Instead of paying college players, why not just give them the option to go to the NFL or NBA right out of high school (or before)?  

I'm ok with that too.....and who do you (collective you) think fights that the hardest?  The NCAA  overstepped itself when it started making money off of player's names on jerseys, etc.  Pay them.

2013-08-09 5:16 PM

User image

Elite
Boise

Exactly, once you start paying them then it just becomes like minor league baseball.
2013-08-09 11:52 PM
in reply to: JoshR

User image

Pro

Josh.......you?  Of all the people on this board I find this to be the most perplexing.  Big advertising and Big business making millions and millions on these kids and they get none of it?  That's just ridiculous in every way.  Give it up already....you sound like one of the relics who thinks only amateurs belong in the Olympics.  College football is now HUGE money.....the players should get some of it.

JFF sold some autographs so he's ineligible?  That rule is so out of date it's laughable.  It's his friggin name.....the same name that the NCAA and will put on a jersey and make a fortune.  Does the NCAA own his ffiggin name because he goes to school for free and makes his university more millions?

Pay them and be done with this stupidity.

2013-08-10 1:50 PM

User image

Elite

Josh.......you?  Of all the people on this board I find this to be the most perplexing.  Big advertising and Big business making millions and millions on these kids and they get none of it?  That's just ridiculous in every way.  Give it up already....you sound like one of the relics who thinks only amateurs belong in the Olympics.  College football is now HUGE money.....the players should get some of it.

JFF sold some autographs so he's ineligible?  That rule is so out of date it's laughable.  It's his friggin name.....the same name that the NCAA and will put on a jersey and make a fortune.  Does the NCAA own his ffiggin name because he goes to school for free and makes his university more millions?

Pay them and be done with this stupidity.

"Pay them and be done with this stupidity."

I was thinking about that line, and ya know what? I don't think paying them alone would solve the problem.

I'll get back to that in a little bit.
Just now I was thinking about how funny it is that there seem to be a lot of folks trying to make this Manziel thing the turning point in the decades-old controversy over whether to pay college athletes or not.
This kid was born with a silver spoon in his mouth.
He was court side for Game 1 of the NBA Finals...those tickets went for $15,000 each.
Fact of the matter, he didn't even need the money.
All those other kids in years past from less than cushy backgrounds were getting busted and for some reason the advocates for paying college athletes weren't quite as vocal then. I just find that interesting.

So, back to why I don't think paying college athletes solves any problem.
How much are you going to pay them?
Will there be profit-sharing between big schools and small schools?
Money that would have otherwise gone toward the schools themselves would be going to players.
How would that be received by college football fans? By students and professors?
How would this impact tuition? I have to believe tuition rates would rise.
Would scholarships then be eliminated since the athletes could then pay their way?
Would colleges literally outbid each other to secure the rights to the players? Do you see any ethical problems there?
Would the college athletes be required to take classes anymore?
Does the school itself have the right to sell merchandise with the players' names? If not, don't ya think the school would lose a lot of revenue?
How 'bout college athletes in sports that don't generate a profit for the school? Are they getting paid?

I used to believe paying players was the way to go, but when I really think about it, it seems like a bum deal for the majority of college students who would be getting the shaft.
College athletes at big schools have it pretty good.
The best facilities, the best women, the best tutors, tuition is free...not a bad deal.
It's a complex issue that just doesn't have an easy answer one way or the other.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Johnny.... Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Public Enemy/Johnny Depp

Started by Renee
Views: 918 Posts: 15

2009-07-13 4:14 PM Ershk

Johnny Depp...Scottish?

Started by thegoddess
Views: 856 Posts: 5

2009-06-26 11:00 AM briderdt