Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-08-06 4:26 PM
in reply to: tribeagle

User image

Regular
Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Race Shirts
Wear the tech shirts for working out, casual around the house. Cotton ones go to goodwill, or I just have the race staff keep them or donate them.

We have had an important house rule: If you keep a new shirt, you've got to throw out an old one!

2013-08-06 4:58 PM
in reply to: Swimbikeron

User image

New user
Nashville, TN
My tech shirts are for working out only, cotton ones get mixed into my normal shirt pile for regular wear.

My wife has further criteria for when a race shirt can be worn versus a normal t-shirt, so sometimes she asks me to change before we go somewhere... I haven't quite figured out her rules yet, but I don't really care what I'm wearing, so I don't mind swapping shirts if she asks.
2013-08-06 5:54 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Phoenix AZ
technical race shirts: train in them

nice cotton race shirts: wear them in the summer and around the house

crappy cotton race shirts: goodwill or salvation army
2013-08-06 7:26 PM

User image

Master
Sin City
YMMV.

I only wear my tech shirts for workouts/gym. I haven't bought my own tech shirt in 4 years. Frankly, I don't care what's on it, and a nice memory shows up about a race or ride that I did. I never wear them for public outing though.
2013-08-06 8:15 PM
in reply to: tribeagle

User image

Expert
Floriduh
About a year ago I started a shirt-in, shirt-out policy. If I keep a shirt I have to toss one in the Goodwill pile to keep me on an even keel. Some of the race shirts I like, some not so much, so a few of the uglier ones, even if they are new, have gone directly to charity. Those that like are what I use for training, prolly got like 8 in regular rotation. Can't remember the last race shirt I got that was cotton. Race socks would be a nice change of pace, I could use more socks.
2013-08-06 8:55 PM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Lincoln, Nebraska
Oh, race socks! That's a good idea!!! I actually have a nice collection of beer mugs from several races, all identical style, just different logos/race info.

Tech shirts I wear to work out in, long sleeve cotton I wear as weekend attire in the winter, and the 50/50 blends I wear post workout or around the house to the grocery store. Cotton not so much - it just hangs in my closet looking sad.

2013-08-07 7:08 AM
in reply to: crissy_jo

User image

I wouldn't mind if the money for t-shirts went to a charity instead. I have plenty. Not sure why some wives won't allow tech shirts to be worn. As long as they are clean and don't stink, why not? I do more sailing (ocean racing) than triathlon competition, but between the two I never have to buy t-shirts, polo shirts or jackets for the rest of my life.
2013-08-07 7:32 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I generally only wear the tech shirts, and only the ones that actually fit. That's maybe a total of five shirts. On the other hand, I have almost every race T-shirt I've gotten in 34 years of running (started at age 10). Before there were tech shirts, I had favorites that I would wear to train in. Now I hate training in cotton T's, esp. in the tropics. I just keep them because I can't bear to get rid of them--I really do remember every single race. It doesn't seem right to throw out the shirts for the bad races--suck is just part of life, too.

But I have bad luck with fit--the shirts always seem to be either too big or too small. It's esp. true since I started tri--my events are mainly in SE Asia and it's almost never clear on entry forms if the shirts are Asian or ex-pat size (S/M/L actually is quite different, even for name brands), gender-specific or unisex. No matter how hard I try to get it right, my shirts are always either tiny tiny or down to my knees. I wear the big ones as night shirts.

The worst part of my fit issue is that I have some shirts worthy of serious bragging--US Olympic Marathon Trials, NCAA Cross Country, World University Games, and they're all too big to wear as anything other than night shirts. I'm 5'7" and skinny, typical marathoner's build--not sure why they gave out shirts for giants.
2013-08-07 7:38 AM

User image

New user
Winchester, VA
I've found that the only t-shirts I wear anymore are race shirts (almost always tech.), beer/brewpub shirts, and sports teams. I love the tech t-shirts and I find that I like the colors and designs of the tri shirts. I do get asked once in a while about them but mostly people don't care. I've certainly found that the older I get the less I care about what others think so if I want to wear the latest tri shirt I did 2 weeks ago, then I'm going to wear it. Some of the older ones that get beat up end up in the training rotation.
2013-08-07 7:43 AM
in reply to: CWAY

User image

I hate to shop. Between cycling and running, I haven't had to buy a tee-shirt or long-sleeved shirt in a few years. I did a gran fondo recently where they gave us some good socks--that was nice. So were the knit cap and gloves that I got for doing a half-marathon in the snow. They were better than another shirt.
2013-08-07 7:50 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
There are definitely a few tech shirts that I wear casually since they fit so well. Most of the cotton ones I get don't fit well even if I try to shrink them so I try to wear them as a sleeping shirt. One race in particular always seems to have nice shirts and this was the first year I missed it due to other training commitments.

I know some have mentioned that they work out in their race shirts, but I don't think I have done that once. I guess I just have enough dedicated "training" clothes to not use them.

I also can't seem to get rid of my old racing shirts. Like someone had mentioned above....I guess I'm somewhat emotionally connected to each shirt regardless of my performance. (Especially races that are for some specific cause e.g. one race I run every year as it is used to raise money for a friend's hospice care after being run down by a car while training).

Edited by FurnaceM3 2013-08-07 7:51 AM

2013-08-07 8:08 AM
in reply to: FurnaceM3

User image

Extreme Veteran
The best shirts I have are green cotton ones I received at the Krispy Kreme Run challenge. Every single time I wear them it starts a conversation. Often times with complete strangers.

Several people on here mentioned they only want tech tees from races. I've only been racing for a few years, and I have way more tech tees than I need. I'd much prefer fun cotton shirts.
2013-08-07 8:22 AM
in reply to: crissy_jo

User image

Originally posted by crissy_jo

Oh, race socks! That's a good idea!!! I actually have a nice collection of beer mugs from several races, all identical style, just different logos/race info.

Tech shirts I wear to work out in, long sleeve cotton I wear as weekend attire in the winter, and the 50/50 blends I wear post workout or around the house to the grocery store. Cotton not so much - it just hangs in my closet looking sad.

I got socks at the race I did last weekend, they have peppers on them - because it was the Culpeper Sprint Tri
2013-08-07 2:09 PM
in reply to: austhokie

User image

Veteran
Kitchener
The only time I chuckle at seeing someone wear their race shirt is when they are so obviously looking for attention... 6 a.m. spin class you are wearing your IM finisher's jacket over your finisher's shirt, IM branded cycle shorts and socks, IM headband and you brought your cycling shoes and IM waterbottle in your IM branded bag. Then I laugh at you. Quietly from the back, but i do. I'm not sorry for it either. You look like a tool. Otherwise, as long as you're not talking loudly about your races like a douche, wear your swag with pride. You earned it.
2013-08-07 2:27 PM
in reply to: jbrookscga78

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

Originally posted by jbrookscga78  Not sure why some wives won't allow tech shirts to be worn.

Not sure why some men allow their wives to control their wardrobe.

2013-08-07 2:35 PM
in reply to: pilot_e

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by pilot_e The only time I chuckle at seeing someone wear their race shirt is when they are so obviously looking for attention... 6 a.m. spin class you are wearing your IM finisher's jacket over your finisher's shirt, IM branded cycle shorts and socks, IM headband and you brought your cycling shoes and IM waterbottle in your IM branded bag. Then I laugh at you. Quietly from the back, but i do. I'm not sorry for it either. You look like a tool. Otherwise, as long as you're not talking loudly about your races like a douche, wear your swag with pride. You earned it.

I like how it's assumed they are "looking for attention" -

My IM-branded shirts are simply training shirts, nothing more nothing less. Is REV3 or a non-IM-branded race shirt different?
I have IM-branded socks because they're my favorite (not because of the logo).
I have an IM water bottle because it was clean and the first one I grabbed out of the cabinet. It had the same probability of being a water bottle from the first Sprint I did. 

It's good to know people are silently judging me. Nice!

2013-08-07 2:45 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by pilot_e The only time I chuckle at seeing someone wear their race shirt is when they are so obviously looking for attention... 6 a.m. spin class you are wearing your IM finisher's jacket over your finisher's shirt, IM branded cycle shorts and socks, IM headband and you brought your cycling shoes and IM waterbottle in your IM branded bag. Then I laugh at you. Quietly from the back, but i do. I'm not sorry for it either. You look like a tool. Otherwise, as long as you're not talking loudly about your races like a douche, wear your swag with pride. You earned it.

I like to wear a coon skin hat when I go to a spin class.....what does that say about me?

2013-08-07 2:46 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Veteran
Kitchener
Oh don't take tongue-and-cheek remarks so personally... and why do you care what someone you don't know on the internet who lives in a different country thinks. Honestly, I highly doubt that *7* pieces of branded things are just randomly chosen. But it did and swaggered into my spin class at the Good Life gym. Everybody judges. Don't pretend it doesn't happen.
2013-08-07 2:47 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Veteran
Kitchener
@LB, is says that you are a confident woodsman who enjoys a hot head from time to time.
2013-08-07 2:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin
Originally posted by Left Brain

I like to wear a coon skin hat when I go to a spin class.....what does that say about me?

That you're awesome?

But seriously I would pay to see someone wear a coon skin hat in spin class.

2013-08-07 2:48 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by pilot_e Oh don't take tongue-and-cheek remarks so personally... and why do you care what someone you don't know on the internet who lives in a different country thinks. Honestly, I highly doubt that *7* pieces of branded things are just randomly chosen. But it did and swaggered into my spin class at the Good Life gym. Everybody judges. Don't pretend it doesn't happen.

LOL great response!

LB as long as your coon skin isn't tattoo'd with the IM logo you're good.

2013-08-07 2:51 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by pilot_e @LB, is says that you are a confident woodsman who enjoys a hot head from time to time.

I see what you did there.  LOL

2013-08-07 3:08 PM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
I love wearing my tech shirts, both working out and casually. The cotton ones generally go to the bottom of the drawer, being stored for future quilt purposes. However, some of the shirts (tech or cotton) I've gotten from races are either just too "busy" or just too hideous to wear no matter what.

The one thing I won't do is to don the event t-shirt for the event itself. Doesn't bother me when other people do, but I if I am racing a 5K or whatever and get my shirt before the event, I won't wear it during the event. I just haven't earned it yet!

2013-08-07 3:47 PM
in reply to: austhokie

User image

New user
Winchester, VA
Second year in a row that I've received those socks. Same design as last year w/ the peppers but updated year. Pretty cool.
2013-08-07 4:04 PM

User image

Master
I use my shirts to change into after training/working out. I sometimes use my tech ones to train in if they match my shorts.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race Shirts Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Oldest Race Shirt

Started by davealt
Views: 1054 Posts: 8

2007-12-02 12:35 PM CNIDog

Custom Race Shirts

Started by papson14
Views: 1623 Posts: 9

2007-11-05 7:08 PM HelenS

Race shirt = fraud? Pages: 1 2

Started by Vaiza
Views: 2386 Posts: 32

2007-07-05 8:52 PM Vaiza

Custom Running/Racing Shirt?

Started by MomX3
Views: 859 Posts: 10

2005-07-07 4:25 PM desertsix

Race Shirts

Started by MUL98
Views: 1164 Posts: 20

2004-09-14 9:45 AM Whizzer
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : EnduRight
comments : 0
Iron distance racing depends on the three pillars of pacing, nutrition and mental outlook. Training these three areas can significantly improve your race.

date : July 2, 2006
author : susietri
comments : 6
Race report for my first sprint triathlon in which I tell the tale of panic and redemption.
date : March 5, 2006
author : BobbyMcgee
When we get ready to train or race, we have a pretty fixed set of thoughts. We are unaware of how they affect our racing.

date : June 14, 2005
author : tomp
comments : 1
Tips on swimming, biking and running to race-day lessons from this beginners first five months of training.
date : April 24, 2005
author : mikericci
If you feel your base work is adequate, then here are five areas I would recommend you can work on before your first race.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
My expectations for the quality of this years’ Triathlon world championship were fulfilled. This was because of the superb location that is like no other along with having the top triathletes present.
date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
There is a marvelous destiny out there waiting for you too, but only if you are willing to take chances and put yourself on the line.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
comments : 1
Are you only focusing on racing and training this season?  Volunteeri to help at a triathlon!