General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Road-trainer-stationary bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-06 9:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Upstate, SC
Subject: Road-trainer-stationary bike
How do these translate to each other. Obviously the road is best, but how does a workout on a stationary bike compare with a trainer? The trainer is so, so boring....

2013-08-06 9:58 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Subject: RE: Road-trainer-stationary bike
how is a stationary bike less boring than a trainer? the trick is making the indoor workout tolerable or "fun"

Edited by Clempson 2013-08-06 9:59 PM
2013-08-06 10:08 PM
in reply to: Clempson

User image

Extreme Veteran
Upstate, SC
It is at the gym, around other people, in an huge room....
2013-08-06 10:14 PM
in reply to: katybug34

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
have you tried trainer videos or trainerroad.com? just having something to pay attention to which prompts cadence/effort changes helps a lot
2013-08-07 12:01 AM

User image

Master
University Park, MD
I'll admit that riding a trainer is not the world's most fascinating activity, even for some of the twisted minds that frequent this forum. But it can be made a whole lot more tolerable and interesting, and exceedingly effective as a training tool. Some things that help:

-- Fans
-- More fans; yes, the strongest that you can get your hands on
-- A power meter, or a pseudo power-meter (e.g., trainerroad.com, or a well calibrated fluid trainer)
-- Music
-- Or videos; some watch workout videos, e.g., Sufferfest; others keep themselves entertained with movies, e.g., Netflix; I've been working through the Amazon Prime Instant Video collection on the trainer; sometimes I'll watch sporting events while riding, e.g., Tour de France stages

I hated the trainer when I first rode it, but now that I have my setup dialed in, I use it for 98% of my riding, and I prefer it that way. I think it gives me better bike fitness than I'd get from riding outside - I'm a strong climber with almost zero hill training - though it does not do so much for my bike handling skills.

But a good thing about biking is that the training is fairly tranferrable. If you ride for an hour at a HR of 160, then you'll get a fairly similar workout, whether it's outside, on the trainer, or on a bike at the gym.
2013-08-07 5:02 AM

User image

Master
Loughborough, England
There is another thread about intervals on the bike at the moment and the problems of doing them on the road. This is where a trainier is great as you can be very specific with your efforts on it. High intensity work helps to pass the boredom too.

My opinion would be a workout on a trainer would be better than a stationary bike as you are riding your own bike which is set up exactly as you like it. Stationary bikes in the gym can be difficult to set up correctly.

2013-08-07 12:04 PM
in reply to: tridantri

User image

Pearland,Tx
i counter bordeom in an indoor trainer by watching IM and Running motivation clips before you know it 1 hr. passed.

2013-08-07 12:37 PM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

Originally posted by katybug34 It is at the gym, around other people, in an huge room....

So how is that less boring? Are you talking about a spin class?

The benefit of the trainer is that you are on your own bike, training with the same fit and feel as you will be racing with. Especially if it's a tri bike. All my trainers rides are on the tri bike.

2013-08-07 12:38 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I do almost all my riding on the trainer now just because it is easier to maintain contact with my family with all the training that I do.  I have my trainer setup in the den and have a big screen on the wall that I watch.  My son is usually playing in there or watching TV with me.

I am happy with my progression and find that I actually am less bored than on some of the outside rides that I occasionally do.  I am on the last of the 79 original episodes of Star Trek.  Not sure where I will turn next.

I'm not a big fan of stationary bikes.  I have owned one that never really got used and I recently gave it away.  Ones that I have used while traveling are better than nothing but feel very different than my bike on the trainer.

2013-08-07 2:29 PM

User image

Do you mean a "stationary bike" like a Life-cycle/exercise bike? or a spin bike like they use in spin classes? If the gym has spin bikes, then those can be just as good or better than your bike on a trainer (depending on what kind of trainer you have and whether you can change resistance to do intervals).

I would agree that stationary exercise bikes in general don't provide the specificity you need for a real bike workout. But spin bikes definitely can. I've used them a lot and really like them-- but I need more road-handling skills so I do need to get outside more. Also, the saddle on my real bike is way more comfy and I notice it a lot when I'm doing spin workouts.

Edited by jennifer_runs 2013-08-07 2:31 PM
2013-08-07 3:25 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Speaking of road handling skills, I just got back from lunch and witnessed one of the poorer displays of such.

I was stopped at a light mid-point on a hill.  Guy bombs by me, through the red light, takes one hand off bars to remove headphone while trying to answer cellphone.  Wobble, wobble, wobble and vears into curb.  He goes flying off the bike and skids down the sidewalk on his hip and forearm.  It was painful to watch.  Was probably a combination of stupidity, inattentiveness, and poor  no road handling skills.

I guess it was a reminder to me that life on the trainer is not the real world and I could stand to use more road time just to keep sharper with my skills.

2013-08-08 8:53 AM

User image

Atlanta, Georgia
Originally posted by popsracer
Speaking of road handling skills, I just got back from lunch and witnessed one of the poorer displays of such.

I was stopped at a light mid-point on a hill.  Guy bombs by me, through the red light, takes one hand off bars to remove headphone while trying to answer cellphone.  Wobble, wobble, wobble and vears into curb.  He goes flying off the bike and skids down the sidewalk on his hip and forearm.  It was painful to watch.  Was probably a combination of stupidity, inattentiveness, and poor  no road handling skills.

I guess it was a reminder to me that life on the trainer is not the real world and I could stand to use more road time just to keep sharper with my skills.

Hard to have sympathy for someone like that. I mean, as a human, you feel bad & want the guy to not be seriously hurt, but once you see him get up, you have to think to yourself, "Well, that's Darwin for ya!"

It's the same as the runner who is wearing the big over ear headphones that block out the entire world & they run right into an intersection against a don't walk sign & into the path of a car. I see it happen all the time around here.

Edited by Meathead 2013-08-08 8:55 AM
2013-08-08 11:50 AM
in reply to: Meathead

User image

New user

Cooperstown, NY
I have had really good indoor training experiences using Spinervals videos - these are high intensity workouts that in my experience really build your skills with high cadence work as well as power. I find them much less boring than watching a regular TV show because I'm actively engaged in the spinning video and the intensity is changing every 30 seconds to a minute. I've done as long as 2 hours on the trainer and haven't been horrendously bored - and I ended up in really good shape for the summer riding season. (This, by the way, is using a trainer rather than stationary bike - I find a big difference between spinning bikes and the trainer, and far prefer the trainer since I'm using my own bike and gearing, and it feels much more like riding on the road - without the downhills and wind in your hair).

Amy
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Road-trainer-stationary bike Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Difference between STationary Bike at Gym and Road Bike

Started by BP(MI)
Views: 13856 Posts: 21

2011-07-04 5:40 PM Phaethon

Stationary bike Vs Road Bike

Started by husse23
Views: 1250 Posts: 5

2010-09-10 9:19 PM famelec

Stationary Trainer Rides: Equal to Road Rides?

Started by doeriga
Views: 2395 Posts: 11

2009-12-14 9:03 AM Leegoocrap

Bike drills without trainer/stationary bike

Started by heathervz
Views: 1078 Posts: 2

2008-03-12 12:18 PM JohnnyKay

Using a Carbon Frame Bike on a stationary trainer

Started by jryals
Views: 822 Posts: 2

2007-03-27 3:52 PM D_M_S
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 26, 2013
author : mikericci
comments : 0
If you are a person who feels safer on the trails rather than the road, but you still want to race, this article will help you better train.

date : November 28, 2011
author : juliapurr
Bored out of your mind or watching a movie? Amp it up on the bike trainer.
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!
date : December 28, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 1
Tired of your bike trainer already? Here are two indoor bike trainer workouts that you can use to keep things interesting while keeping your cycling fitness up.

date : December 27, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.
date : October 2, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on Total Immersion swimming, strength training, road bike or triathlon bike, stationary biking for Ironman training, heat and GI issues and doing a HIM before a first IM.

date : July 9, 2007
author : sportfactory
While training on a stationary bike could never fully substitute time on the road, there are many workouts you can perform to work on a piece of your cycling.